Cannot see other computers on network [SOLVED]

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blind_30

Cannot see other computers on network [SOLVED]

Post by blind_30 »

Hello,
I recently switched to a wired connection and now I cannot see other computers on my network including the mybooklive which is what I want to use. It was always working fien with my wireless connection. Does anybody know what might be wrong? I am Using linux mint 16 cinnamon.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Cannot see other computers on network

Post by jahid »

what did you do to setup that wired connection correctly?
blind_30

Post by blind_30 »

I'm not exactly sure I understand the question. I plugged my computer in to the router. All of the other computers and mybooklive are plugged into the same router via ethernet. Is there something else I have to do to set up the connection?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The one important detail about your post that's missing is how you are trying to see the other machines on your network and what those machines are running - Windows, OSX, Linux, ...

If it's samba then posting the output of the following commands would be a first step:

Code: Select all

smbtree

testparm -s

avahi-browse -at | grep IPv4
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
blind_30

Post by blind_30 »

I'm trying to see them in the mint files tree under network. I was always able to access them from there using the wireless, including the mybooklive. The other computers in the house are running windows 7.
blind_30

Post by blind_30 »

I am able to see both computers and the mybooklive using these commands. It says they are in workgroup in the network however when I try to access workgroup it says "Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out". I have tried many times to access it but it continues to do this.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Your forcing me to guess since you will not provide the information I requested so here goes:
Edit smb.conf as root:

gksu gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Add a line in the [global] section - right under the workgroup line:

name resolve order = bcast host lmhosts wins
Save the file then restart samba in this order:

sudo service smbd restart

sudo service nmbd restart
I don't know for sure but I'm guessing the NAS is compatible with Mac's so you should be able to connect to it directly without doing any of this but only the output of one of the commands I wanted output from would verify that.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
blind_30

Post by blind_30 »

This worked!! thank you. sorry I didn't provide you with the information you needed beforehand.

Return to “Networking”