Windows networking - what it should have been

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
qbicdesign

Re: Windows networking - what it should have been

Post by qbicdesign »

Hi Oceanwatcher,
Windows shares (and printers) don't show cos of a bug in current version of the default folder browser in Mint (Nautilus). Older versions apparently worked...
The only current (without using terminal) workaround for this is to install, and use smb4k for network browsing.
Its available in synaptic. Install all its dependencies when it asks too (yes there's quite a few cos it was designed for KDE).
Once installed it works fine, and i see everything as it should be. Let me know how you get on.
for reference here's the thread where i found that info:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=14594
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

I really wish Linuxites would stop blaming users, and also stop talking about Linux instead of Mint - that's like talking about an entire car factory instead of talking about a particular model.
Not only that, please re-familarise yourself with what Mint is about:
http://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php
and how it encourages users to do exactly what myself and Oceanwatcher are doing, yet we're getting flamed for it.
and read this:
http://www.linuxmint.com/faq.php especially note 2nd item in the list.

The essence of Mint is not "if you don't like it don't use it" but rather "if you don't like something or if something doesn't work right, suggest improvements or contribute constructively" - i didn't see any of that in the last post - I'm waiting for a mod to step in and stop this nonsense.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

How did I miss this thread?

My advice? Demand a refund!

"Linux is an operating system, not a fashion statement..."

Heh heh! Right on well said! Linux is Linux, it is about freedom, choice, the ability to dig in and modify anything (depending on your skill level of course), and making the OS do what YOU want. If you have to learn some things to make this happen then so sad too bad. There is not a thing wrong with any FOSS apps other than Windows users who refuse to learn new software.

Why not just quit fighting it and go back to what you know? I do not say that with malice and I am sure Clem and the Mint team do not share MY sentiments, but you can only do so much to attract people. Linux has never been about being spoonfed and as close as Mint is to being idiotproof it is still linux. I have as many problems trying to network my Windows computers, it is networking it is all borked. Why force Linux to use a Windows network or Windows apps? Try forcing Vista Home Premium to use Linux networking and use Linux apps! In fact, just try getting Vista to even SEE an ext3 file system. It is Windows that is broken!

edit: Just had a read through the whole thread and have to say oceanwatcher has a legitimate complaint. But again, networking is always screwed up, even between windows computers. I know most aspects of computing, hardware and software, but the networking voodoo still leaves me mystified.

Anyway, it is not the problem I am addressing with my post, it is the attitude that "we must fix this." It is what it is and it was free of charge to you. If Mint is not good enough then try a different distro. If no Linux works then try BSD or Solaris. If you cannot find anything better then by all means go back to Windows. They did not spend all that money developing Windows for nothing, and seriously, the support is hard to beat as long as you dont mind waiting on the phone. But you simply cannot turn Linux into Windows.
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Oceanwatcher wrote:I really need to find a way to get my networking fixed. And as people here have already stated that they know what is wrong and have it fixed, could I please have the recipe? :-)
Ok it's been a while as I've switched my entire home network over to Linux but from memory I used to do it like this. Instead of using the share name for the windows box I'd enter the IP address of the machine you want to access in Nautilus. Something like this.

Code: Select all

smb://IPaddress/usershare
You should then be asked for the username, domain, password etc in a pop up window.

Once the share is successful you can bookmark it for future use.
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

For the record and the fact that it was posted earlier and Oceanwatcher verified that it worked for him:

Install smb4k via synaptic and use that as your network browser instead
Fred

Post by Fred »

Oceanwatcher,

I would suggest you search here in the forum for the Samba networking tutorial AdvanceIT wrote. He is one of the most knowledgeable Windows/Linux networking people in the forum.

If you are still having problems after reading that, PM him and ask for help. He is a busy guy but is quite a nice fellow. I am confident he will give you some of his time when he has an opportunity. Hint: Skip preaching to him about all the things you see wrong. It will be counter productive to your purpose. :-)

Fred
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Fred wrote:Oceanwatcher,I would suggest you search here in the forum for the Samba networking tutorial AdvanceIT wrote.
here 'tis http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... ial#p78559 :)
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

subslug wrote:First I'll have to agree about the default network names, I posted the same thing on here before about having it named MSHOME instead of WORKGROUP like it seems it should be.
It suddenly dawned on me why we have such confusion between MSHOME and WORKGROUP.
In Windows XP Home the default is MSHOME. In Windows XP Professional its WORKGROUP.
blame Microsoft...

Return to “Networking”