Can't setup a wired network in bridge mode.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Strans

Can't setup a wired network in bridge mode.

Post by Strans »

Hi guys,

I have a dual boot laptop which runs both windows 7 and Linux Mint 15. I use an ethernet cable to connect to internet in bridge mode. My ISP provided me with a username and password. The internet connection works well in windows 7 but in Mint, I can not browse the web.

The problem is that I don't know where to enter the username and password. Long time age, when I was using ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop, I think there was a "DSL" tab in network setting in which I could enter the username and password and readily browse the web but I don't find the same tab in Mint 15 and I don't know what to do.

I appreciate your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Strans

Re: Can't setup a wired network in bridge mode.

Post by Strans »

I found the answer myself. This problem and some other problems regarding creating a DSL connection that are reported in this forum (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 150053&e=0) arise from the fact that in Mint 15 (or maybe some other versions as well) the DSL tab that used to be (or supposed to be) in "Network Setting" section, is not there anymore and is somehow hidden in another section called "Network Connections".

By taking following steps you can easily set a DSL connection:

1- Search for "network connections" (and NOT "network settings") in "Menu" search field.

2- Click on "network connections" icon (it's a black icon).

3- A small window pops up. Click "Add".

4- A new window will open that lets you choose a connection type. Choose DSL.

5- After choosing DSL, click on create. A window opens that lets you configure the newborn DSL connection.

Have fun.

Return to “Networking”