<SOLVED>unable to make network setting stick

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BruceKaufman

<SOLVED>unable to make network setting stick

Post by BruceKaufman »

I have a new mint 17 installed. I ran the Network Manager and it updated /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Ethernet connection1:
[802-3-ethernet]
duplex=full
mac-address=<looks ok>
[connection]
id=Ethernet connection 1
uuid=<looks good>
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv6]
method=auto

[ipv4]
method=auto
dns=192.168.0.1;
may-fail=false

waited, no internet, rebooted, no internet

Modified /etc/resolve.conf and added nameserver 192.168.0.1

and internet now works. Of course on reboot, this file is overwritten.

Suggestions?

FYI:
sudo lshw -c network -sanitize
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 06
serial: [REMOVED]
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 driverversion=2.3LK-NAPI duplex=full firmware=rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw ip=[REMOVED] latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:48 ioport:e000(size=256) memory:d2104000-d2104fff memory:d2100000-d2103fff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: unable to make network setting stick

Post by karlchen »

Hello, BruceKaufman.

For several Linux Mint versions now the file /etc/resolv.conf by default is merely a symbolic link to /var/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf. Neither (link) file should be modified manually.
Instead write your additional nameserver entries into the file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail.
And maybe you would like to read

Code: Select all

man resolvconf
for further details.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
BruceKaufman

Re: unable to make network setting stick

Post by BruceKaufman »

Thank you!! Adding a nameserver line to the /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail fixed the problem.

On a side note: Shouldn't the "network connection" manager tool (the one so many people on the web seem to tout as the way to set the nameserver) update resolv.conf.d/tail file? Or am I misunderstanding what this tool can do?

Also I read the resolvconf page but I guess the note was too cryptic for me :(
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: <SOLVED>unable to make network setting stick

Post by karlchen »

Hello, BruceKaufman.

The file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail is explicitly meant for entries which the user adds and which will not be overwritten by the network manager dynamically at runtime.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Networking”