Have To Restart Router Almost Every Boot

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Have To Restart Router Almost Every Boot x-x

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JosephBeck.

Very likely this is part of the problem in your case, that you assign a (fixed) IP address to your Netbook in the Network Manager. As you connect to a DSL router, simply tell your Netbook to use DHCP and accept whichever IP address the DHCP server inside your DSL router will assign to it.

Kind regards,
Karl
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JosephBeck.

Please, find attached to this post the ZIP file NetworkConnectionEditor.zip. It holds the screenshots NetworkConnectionEditor1.png to NetworkConnectionEditor6.png. These screenshots illustrate exactly what to check / do.
In case you should not find where to edit the network connections in the Mint Menu, you might as well launch the executable nm-connection-editor directly from the launch box which you can invoke by pressing <Alt><F2>.
Unless there is a good reason for telling the router to reserve a particular IP address for a particular machine, I would not bother to do so. Yet, even if you decide to tell the router to assign a particular IP to the netbook everytime (permanent lease), then the netbook still requests to get an IP from the router. I.e. the network manager will not know the IP address. See the screenshots, please.

HTH,
Karl
--
I chose to pack the 6 screenshots into 1 single ZIP file, because I must not attach more than 3 pictures to a single post.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, JosephBeck.

Well, I had the (incorrect) idea you might have assigned a fixed IP address on the Linux Mint side. Your Mint uses the default method and asks its DHCP server, your D-Link router, for an IP address, well this is fine.
Actually, I simply started with the side which uses the same software for the two of us.

Talking about what to do on the D-Link router side will be a bit more tricky, because my DSL router is an AVM Fritz!box. So the interfaces will look differently, more or less.

Yet, as we seem to agree on the Mint side the cause of your problem should be found somewhere in the D-Link configuration.

Kind regards,
Karl
Lifeline
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Since you are tech savvy , you should be able to type your Dlink router address, something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or whatever you have set, or default on Dlink manual, and get into router's webpage..

navigate this a page that look like this one

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/wbr2310/lan.htm

at around bottom you should see DHCP reservation...
all you need is to enable it, then define an ip address to be given to your netbook, and type in the MAC address of the netbook ( or try the copying mac address...), and apply the setting.

your particular router might have different user interface, but they will be similar..
wayne128

Re: Have To Restart Router Almost Every Boot

Post by wayne128 »

I think your dlink hardware is ... :lol:

may be try these

1. check if there is stock firmware upgrade, if yes, upgrade it

2. if 1 above still does not work out, check if third party firmware is available, such as dd-wrt ( which has a very good database to check if the particular model has firmware support.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Return to “Networking”