pam_mount help needed solved

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gnipper_nz

pam_mount help needed solved

Post by gnipper_nz »

I'm testing out Mint to see how well it can live in a work environment, connected to a Windows domain. So far everything looks pretty good, except for mounting various Windows network shares that I need to access. I believe pam_mount would be the best way to do this but I can't get it working. Has anyone out there successfully set this up to automatically mount Windows shares? I can't find any definitive guide on this - I need to know what actual modules to install, which configuration files to modify and preferably see examples of these. From what I have read, pam_mount should be able to mount shares using the user name and password from the gdm login manager and unmount them automatically when you log out. Saves continuously entering your username and password when browsing the network.

I know it's possible to modify fstab to mount these shares, but that's somewhat messy and involves keeping your password in a credentials file - not that secure.

Any help much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: pam_mount help needed

Post by Husse »

Does this help?
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
I think it is really helpful - more than one solution to your problem
I think I'll mark this as a solution for this type of problems :)
gnipper_nz

Re: pam_mount help needed

Post by gnipper_nz »

Hi, thanks for the link. I had already found that one and it is some use, except that it's now out of date as the format for the pam_mount configuration file has now changed to XML. Anyway, since I posted I have managed to get this working, by trial and error. I'm by no means sure that everything is set up properly but it seems to work. It's worth the effort - I am able to mount all the Windows shares automatically at log-on. That's one more feature checked off on my list of requirements for a Linux machine at work.

Return to “Networking”