join 2 netbooks

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wilky
Level 1
Level 1

join 2 netbooks

Post by wilky »

Learned folks, I have 2 AAO1 netbooks, both running mate 17. No dual boot or other OS's What I would like to do is link/sinc/patch the 2 together.
Can I do this with a cross-over patch cable?

Reason is one is plugged into a larger monitor and is my general use computer, the other is my portable go with me computer. I would like to have the ability to have all the same data etc on both.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Wilky
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers
Wilky
Your jealous because the voices only talk to me
ofb

Re: join 2 netbooks

Post by ofb »

I haven't looked into this for ages, so i can only offer some general handwaving tips in lieu of tested fact.

First you likely don't need a crossover. Any vaguely modern ethernet port seems to autodetect now, so a stock cable between the netbooks should do it.

So hitch that up and right-click a directory to add Sharing. At this point you'll likely get dialogs telling you to install Samba. After it's installed, you ought to have the shared folder show up in Network on the other computer. You made have to hit refresh several times, or go brew coffee.

Memory also reminds me that the files you bring over this way will be stripped of permission and ownership, possibly of dates. Likely because Samba is Windows Networking, and Windows did not do Linux style permissions and ownership.

To sync I'd hit google and look for an app built on rsync. Rsync itself if wonderful, but it's meant for backups not syncing two active computers, so the task requires a bit more code.

Although I suppose if it's just you using the computers one at a time, using rsync alone may suit your tastes fine. Grsync is a very good GUI that makes it easy to start using rsync. After that hit the man pages, and examine the rsync command Grysnc uses; you can view it as a menu option.

And if you start wondering, I expect the reason the code for cable networking is rather neglected is because nearly everyone these days can share easily via their home wifi router.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

"To sync I'd hit google and look for an app built on rsync. Rsync itself if wonderful, but it's meant for backups not syncing two active computers, so the task requires a bit more code. "

a program called Giver used to be available to do that, but it is no longer supported,
however it is still obtainable & can be installed, abet with some difficulty, but it's not impossible to do.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
scryan

Post by scryan »

I typically use SSH to grab files from one computer to the other.
I have a mediapc named mediapc that is on most of the time.
Basically all the linux file managers allow connecting to remote servers, usually where it shows you present working directory you can click and manually type a path. I change it to sftp://mediapc/home it will ask for user name and password and then you will have full access to your remote computers files. Samba in mint never seemed to work right for me.

HOWEVER, if anyone knows of a software utility that will sync 2 folders/computers in both directions I would be VERY curious. Haven't done as much looking as I should, but Ive done some and all I get is info on rsync, which obviously is only copying files in one direction....
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

scryan wrote:HOWEVER, if anyone knows of a software utility that will sync 2 folders/computers in both directions I would be VERY curious.
I don't use it myself but unison does exactly that.
wilky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilky »

Folks,
Success rate so far is nill. I have set up grsync and by first copying to an external hd and then copying back to my second netbook I can achieve what I wanted but it only sets it like a back up. At a pinch I can live with that.

I have tried plugging both machines together with a patch cable but they will not see each other, I have set share folders to no avail.
I have tried using a switch and still nothing.

I tried ssh but really have no clue on what I was doing.

I have tried to work out unison but have no clue there either.

On wee1 when I go into "computer-browse network" it takes me to "windows network" - "workgroup" but nothing shows up.

In wee2 following the same path when I click on "windows network" I get "Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server. No such file or directory"

Any ideas??
Cheers
Wilky
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

On wee1 when I go into "computer-browse network" it takes me to "windows network" - "workgroup" but nothing shows up.

In wee2 following the same path when I click on "windows network" I get "Unable to mount location - Failed to retrieve share list from server. No such file or directory"
Both of your macines are running Linux so you can use Samba without the Windows parts by using mDNS which should theoretically work in the direct connection method you are using:

On wee2 connect directly to the other machine:

Code: Select all

nemo smb://wee1.local
If you have ssh set up you can do that too:

nemo ssh://wee1.local
Don't forget the ".local" at the end that's the thing that makes this work.

Note: When the user doesn't specify what desktop environment he is using I always assume it's Cinnamon. If it's not for you then replace "nemo" with whatever your file manager is called.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
scryan

Post by scryan »

Most file managers have some sort of "connect to server" option, often under "File" but usually someone on the menu bar.
Choosing that will allow you to choose what protocol your using (samba, ssh/sftp, ect...) and typically the relevant information.

I've found SSH easier to set up then samba, but founding dealing with samba shares to be more like managing a local folder, where connecting to my ssh server via sftp can have more little caveats (I need to open movies and videos one by one, if drag them over to some kind of play list it has trouble, think there have been a few other things as well)
wilky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilky »

Ok guys still not getting anywhere.
altair4, I'm running Mate 32bit, as for the file manager I assume it's Caja.
A couple of questions if I may,
How can I find out exactly which file manager I'm using.
The actual names of the 2 net books as far as I can gather are "wilky-AO532h" (wee 1) and "craig" (wee 2)
Is it possible to change the names or in my case does it matter.

Now after following the code I typed in on wee 2
caja smb://wilky-ao532h.local
This returned " Could not display smb://wilky-ao532h.local"

So I tried
caja ssh://wilky-ao532h.local
This returned "Could not display sftp:wilky-ao532h.local/ because host could not be found. Check spelling is correct and proxy settings are correct"

scryan I tried the connect to server on wee 2 and successfully connected to ...... wee 2.
Sorry all, in between times I have searched for ways of doing it and why nothing seems to work but have not come up with any answers.
Is there anything I can do on this end to help you guys nut out my dilemma?
Cheers
Wilky
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

There's two issues here:

[1] You are connecting two machines together directly via cable as opposed to going through a router and I have no experience with doing that.

[2] The second issue is mDNS which - based on what I've read - should have no problems with [1].

On "craig" (wee 2) ping "wilky-AO532h" (wee 1):

ping wilky-AO532h.local
Then do it in reverse on wilky-AO532h:

ping craig.local
Does it work?

If not:

Disable the firewall on both machines if you are using one:

sudo ufw disable
And make sure avahi-daemon is running on both machines:

sudo service avahi-daemon start
Then ping them again.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
wilky
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wilky »

Altair4
I followed your instructions to the code and in all instances it would not ping, well it pinged but could not get through, does that make sense?

I also was able to plug both wee1 and wee2 into a switch plugged into a router and both netbooks came up on the network straight away and I could swap files etc easily. Unfortunately the router is at my sister in laws.

I use the internet through a usb stick, but if we can't resolve the issue would it be feasable to buy a router just to plug the netbooks into?
Cheers
Wilky
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Yes, using a router would be a much better solution.
wilky
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [solved] join 2 netbooks

Post by wilky »

Altair4 and all, thanks for your time and efforts. I will get myself a router and or use the sis in laws. Still intrigued as to why it would not work and if I can ever figure it out I will post it, Cheers all
Cheers
Wilky
ofb

Post by ofb »

Blame me.

I finally got the moment to try this on my Mate 17 test boxes. I got nowhere with it until I dug out my old null modem cable. Immediately the taskbak connection icon spun and connected.

Admittedly those two boxes are old (2005 and 2004) so /maybe/ this isn't it, but go ahead and blame me anyway. (I thought we got past the need for null modem cables earlier than than this, like back in my Duron days.)

After this, entering "smb://BOXNAME.local" in the Caja location bar worked instantly. Both ways.

The Wired Connection must be modified for both boxes. Rightclick the taskbar icon and select Edit. Select your Wired connection and select Edit. On the IPv4 Settings panel change 'Automatic (DHCP)' to 'Link-Local Only'. (Do not be amazed if you have to reboot both boxes to get them to accept the change and connect. Reverse the last step to set things back to normal Internet connection.)

One tiny detail: If I rightclick a folder to Share, and while configuring it I also un-toggle Read-Only, I do not get the expected write privileges. Attempts to write from the other box get a permission-denied dialog.

So that much may still have to be worked out if you care to have another go at this.

(I won't be trying to fix it here. The boxen need to be de-connected and set back on other duties.)

[EDIT - added forgotten paragraph about Link-Local setting in Wired Connection.]

Return to “Networking”