Same old song...can't connect to internet

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thasan

Same old song...can't connect to internet

Post by thasan »

I just installed Mint 5 on my new HP laptop. The live cd ran perfectly for sound & internet connection. Now that I've installed the OS...there's no internet connectivity. I have read a lot of Ubuntu forums looking for information but haven't had any success. I'm trying to connect via ethernet. When I typed sudo pppoeconf in a terminal it said I have 2: eth0 & eth0avahi. Then it says something about maybe one is already in use (?) I used to have my address, gateway etc. written down but wouldn't you know that I can't find it! Can anyone help? By the way...this is a dual boot system and internet is fine in Vista. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thasan

Re: Same old song...can't connect to internet

Post by thasan »

Is there no one that can help with this? Mint isn't going to work for me if I can't connect to the internet. If you need specific info in order to help...tell me how to get it & I'll do my best to get it!
Husse

Post by Husse »

The best is to let the modem (which you have as you talk of pppoe) do the handshaking
If you've lost the information needed there's nothing you can do regardless of what OS you use
I don't know about Vista but you might find it there - if not you have to contact your ISP and ask them to send the info
And please don't bump your topic after less than half a day - I just saw it...
thasan

Post by thasan »

And what information do I need? I know that I don't have a static isp.
Husse

Post by Husse »

You need the password, user name and some timing settings

Return to “Networking”