[SOLVED] Internet works but browsers don't?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joshmahurin

[SOLVED] Internet works but browsers don't?

Post by joshmahurin »

Sorry if the title is confusing but so is this problem to me... So I'm trying to connect to the internet over ethernet and when I open Firefox it says there's no connection even though my network connections app shows wired connection is good. Then I notice I have updates so out of curiosity I try to install them and they work. Then I get on software center and download and install chromium to see if it is a Firefox issue. Downloads and installs fine but can't go anywhere I want. Weird thing is I CAN go to the chromium store page and even load one of their videos... What on earth is this nonsense?

AMD FX-6300
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Sapphire R9 280x
Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
G. Skill Sniper 1866 2x4GB
Mint 17.1

SOLUTION: So I had already tried "resetting" my network settings and that didn't fix my problem but "forget"ing the connection completely and then re-enabling it fixed whatever was wrong. Still no idea what was going on but oh well it works now and hopefully this helps someone.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: I can use software center but can't access internet...

Post by MrBob22 »

Are you using Linux Mint 17.1? Can you right click on the ethernet icon (maybe located in the upper or lower corner of your computer, the one with a pic of a wire plugged into a connector?) If so, you should be able to to get an info box with Enable Networking::Enable Wifi::Connection Information::Edit Connections. If you select, Connection Information, you should see an info box with data about your connection to the internet (ie Interface, hardware address, connect speed, IP address, etc.) If you get this far, you are indeed connected to the internet. Then you need to see what is keeping your browser from seeing this connection. The first thing I would try is to simply restart the computer and see if that clears up the issue. (could be a memory address error or who knows, that keeps you from connecting).. Good Luck, MrBob22
joshmahurin

Post by joshmahurin »

Yes sorry and I should've added my hardware specs I just blanked earlier. Edited my main post. I restarted the computer and my router both to no avail. As per the menu you are referencing, in the bottom right I see what look like two wires yes but right clicking only gives me the option to remove applet or about. Left clicking I can get to my networking settings and then via the wired menu I see information about my connection. Nothing looks amiss but I'm also (probably obviously) fairly new to linux so I'm still not entirely familiar with how this is supposed to look. Any further help or suggestions are much appreciated... It was working just fine and now it isn't randomly. I have only had linux mint installed about a week or two though so who knows...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open in Firefox the preferences -> advanced -> settings and there the settings at the top. What does it say about proxy-usage? Default is the 3rd option (system settings). Try it with the first option (no proxy).

Do you use by chance an active firewall?
joshmahurin

Post by joshmahurin »

I tried that too already but it didn't change anything. Again it's not just firefox but chromium also that doesn't work. I assume no browser would. And yet I am getting internet through somehow because I can download things from software center and my network connections panel seems to think everything is fine...
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrBob22 »

See if you have a firewall active. This may be blocking your browser use but not your other connections. MrBob22
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Are you able to connect to your router?

If you don't know how:
Open the network manager, open the settings for your connection, read the IP of your pc. Most likely it is something like 192.168.X.Y.

Enter in the address bar of Firefox the address with same value for X, but replace Y with 1. (If your IP starts with other values than 192.168, take those that you read.)

You will have to enter the credentials for the router.
Now you are in the settings page of your router, check, if there is anything blocked for outgoing traffic. If so, turn it off. Save and close the page.

BTW: The tread's title is wrong, as you found in the meantime. Edit the first post and change the title for clarification (something like: I have access to Internet but can't use my browsers.
joshmahurin

Re: Internet works but browsers don't?

Post by joshmahurin »

I did try to get to my routers admin page and that loaded just fine. I didn't actually try to login but I'll try that tonight. It's a junk comcast router so I'm not sure if it will even show me much useful but I'll try.
joshmahurin

Re: [SOLVED] Internet works but browsers don't?

Post by joshmahurin »

So I had already tried "resetting" my network settings and that didn't fix my problem but "forget"ing the connection completely and then re-enabling it fixed whatever was wrong. Still no idea what was going on but oh well it works now and hopefully this helps someone.

Return to “Networking”