device (eth0) is unmanaged SOLVED

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seedsgrow

device (eth0) is unmanaged SOLVED

Post by seedsgrow »

I have a Broadcom pci express ethernet card that is no longer working in a Felicia system. When I open the network manager, the message for wired networks is "device is unmanaged." I tried setting up a new wired network using the card's MAC address without success. I have checked to see if the card is recognized by running a lspci command, and it is. I have removed and reinstalled the Broadcom driver (tg3) module. Still the ethernet card is unmanaged. A fresh system install would no doubt solve the problem, but I am looking for solution that is more elegant and less time consuming. I dual boot this computer with OpenSuSE 10.3, and I have no problems with the ethernet card there.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: device (eth0) is unmanaged

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi

Can you please be more precise with the model of the Broadcom card.

I have found problems with the network manager in trying to setup a static IP address ( removed NetworkManager and installed Wicd, problem solved ) but have not seen any posts as yet about unmanaged cards. If you supply the model number I'll do some more digging or the alternative may be to try removing Networkmanager and re-installing it. Last resort do what I did.
seedsgrow

Post by seedsgrow »

The card is a Broadcom Netlink BCM5787M Gigabit PCI Express card. It was recognized and installed properly when I installed Linux Mint. The problem occurred when I brought the laptop it is in to another location and tried to set up a DSL connection there. I tried several different ways to fill in the blanks for user name and provider name to set up a PPPoE client to log me in to the Internet service there. It was somewhere in the adding and deleting of DSL connections through the network manager that the card became "unmanaged."
seedsgrow

Post by seedsgrow »

Fornhamfred,

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry I had to wait to try them out, but I had to wait until a neighbor's open wifi bubble was available to do any work through the repositories. Removing and reinstalling Network Manager did not work. Installing wicd did. I am now on the Internet in Linux Mint using my ethernet connection. Thanks again.

Moderator, you may mark this problem as solved.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Fornhamfred »

Seedsgrow

Glad to have been of some help.

Could you please add solved to the subject of your first posting.

Return to “Networking”