How do I use ifup instead of network manager.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
usalabs

How do I use ifup instead of network manager.

Post by usalabs »

After examining LM, I found it very useful as a server, mainly because of the large repository.

I set up LM to start at runlevel 3, but I need to configure LM to use a static IP, at startup/reboot, but instead it uses the network manager and always configures the NIC to use DHCP, this I don't want.

Is there a way to remove the network manager and for LM to use ifup at boot time, so that the static IP is always there? without having to use runlevel 5, delete the auto eth0 setting in the net work manager so that it would use the manual settings, then use ALT-F2.

I use webmin to control the server locally, and if I have to restart the server, I have first shut it down, and with a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected, power on the server, login as root, edit inittab to runlevel 5, reboot from root, wait for desktop, right click network manager icon, select edit connections, delete auto eth0, then press ALT-F2.

I would like to avoid all this by just powering on the server, it goes through it's startup at runlevel 3, and when initializing the NIC, it then reads off the network settings and keeps the static IP, name server, and gateway settings, without having to use a monitor, mouse or keyboard.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: How do I use ifup instead of network manager.

Post by Husse »

Mint is based on Ubuntu and Ubuntu does not use runlevels - it uses "upstart"
The rcx.d folders and files are kept (and used) for compatibility, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel#Ubuntu
So on Ubuntu and derivatives you have single mode and "normal mode"
For a static IP look at this
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=150&t=19763

Return to “Networking”