*Solved* Wired ethernet not working, wireless working

Questions about cabled networking
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

*Solved* Wired ethernet not working, wireless working

Postby blwnv8 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:07 pm

I just got linux mint installed on a destop that I've completely removed windows from. I'm running just fine with a wireless connection with this computer but when I try to change over to a wired connection it connects but I have no internet. I can visit google with the wired connection and search for something. But if I try clicking on one of the search items or type say linuxmint.com it won't do anything. I'm new the the mint thing but used to use unbuntu back in the day. I'd much rather run wired since I already have a cable run to that room. I have a verizon fios wireless router with 4 wired connections and other stuff runs fine off the wired connections. Thanks

Edit: When I connected the wireless adapter I still had problems with firefox running slow or not at all. I managed to get chromium installed and it works much better. But if I switch to the wired connection neither browser works. So I assume that even though it says wired connected, I don't have a connection.

Edit: Got it working.
Last edited by blwnv8 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
blwnv8
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wired ethernet not working, wireless working just fine

Postby hellfire695 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:09 pm

try running this
sudo apt-get install dhcpcd
dhcpcd eth0
hellfire695
Level 3
Level 3

Postby blwnv8 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:14 am

hellfire695 wrote:try running this
dhcpcd eth0

Thanks. I moved the computer into the room it was going in. Hooked up my 10/100 switch to share internet between my desktop, laptop and xbox 360 and it worked right away. Didn't have to change anything.
blwnv8
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dindongkas on Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Hi I have the same problem as described. And I tried your suggestions and it worked better than before (still had a lag some time), except the second command line should be 'sudo dhcpcd eth0', otherwise it wouldn't work properly. thanks a lot.
hellfire695 wrote:try running this
dhcpcd eth0
dindongkas
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Ethernet