Wish I Could Be More Positive

Chat about just about anything else

Wish I Could Be More Positive

Postby bilyo on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Let me start by saying that I am a computer user. They are a tool for getting other things done. They are not my vocation, avocation, or hobby. I have learned enough to do necessary maintenance and operations. I am not an expert nor do I desire to be one. I do have high regard for those who are.
I do like Linux distros in general. I recently tried the Mint/Mate live CD and liked the look and feel of it. So, to give it more trial, I installed it and started configuring it for daily use. After installation and updating, the first thing I did was try to establish a wireless network connection. Frankly, I have better things to do than spend hours searching for answers while trying to figure this out, especially, when there are other distros that make it a simple 1,2,3 process where no special knowledge is required other than network name, security method, and password. During my search for answers, I came across many other comments regarding this issue. One (might have been in this forum) even recommended development of a "wizard" to help with the process.
Regretfully, I will not be giving Mint any further consideration. I'm sure it is otherwise a fine OS.
With constructive intent,
Thanks
bilyo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wish I Could Be More Positive

Postby monkeyboy on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:32 pm

bilyo wrote:Let me start by saying that I am a computer user. They are a tool for getting other things done. They are not my vocation, avocation, or hobby. I have learned enough to do necessary maintenance and operations. I am not an expert nor do I desire to be one. I do have high regard for those who are.
I do like Linux distros in general. I recently tried the Mint/Mate live CD and liked the look and feel of it. So, to give it more trial, I installed it and started configuring it for daily use. After installation and updating, the first thing I did was try to establish a wireless network connection. Frankly, I have better things to do than spend hours searching for answers while trying to figure this out, especially, when there are other distros that make it a simple 1,2,3 process where no special knowledge is required other than network name, security method, and password. During my search for answers, I came across many other comments regarding this issue. One (might have been in this forum) even recommended development of a "wizard" to help with the process.
Regretfully, I will not be giving Mint any further consideration. I'm sure it is otherwise a fine OS.
With constructive intent,
Thanks

I hear some outfit called Microsoft make a nice little OS that most anyone can use. :D
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby karlchen on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:36 pm

bilyo wrote:[...] other distros that make it a simple 1,2,3 process where no special knowledge is required other than network name, security method, and password
Hope I guess right what you are talking about: setting up the local wireless network connection to your own DSL router?!
As a matter of fact I have not needed any more special knowledge to setup my wireless network connection to my Fritz!Box than the name of my wireless network (ESSID), the security method (WPA2) and the password on
+ Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit Unity desktop
+ Mint 13 64-bit Cinnamon desktop
+ Mint 13 32-bit xfce desktop
+ Mint 14 32-bit Cinnamon desktop
So I cannot quite imagine what in detail it may have been that caused so much trouble to you that you will not give Mint a second thought.
Yet, I guess you are not looking for help, but just wished to express your frustration, else at least one of your currently 3 posts in this forum would have been about problems setting up your wireless network connection, wouldn't it?

Karl
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Postby DMGrier on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am

Linux Mint makes things easier then an other distro I have tried, Linux is just not for everybody and especially for all hardware.
Sony Vaio EB series
CPU: Intel i5 2.53 Ghz
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 1066 Mhz
HDD: 500 GB 5400 RPM
GPU: Intel HD
DMGrier
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kissinger on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I love Linux but only want to dig in on the technical stuff so far, like the OP. What I do is look for hardware that is fully supported by Mint/Debian/Ubuntu. For example, I found an inexpensive USB wireless dongle (less than $20) that "just works." It makes using Linux much easier!
kissinger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Crewp on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 pm

nothing works 100%, not even windows, each have there own set of problems. :shock:
Crewp
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JohnnyTightlips on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:59 am

I love Linux but only want to dig in on the technical stuff so far

Well I have to say this site/forum doesn't make it much "user friendly" to do so. As Linux being more hw dependent (restricted), geeky "advenced to use", technical type of OS, I would expect to have well organized informations about it's supporting hw and all the stuff actually. I'm here for first time as I would like to begin with Linux as being fairly experinced/advanced user, working in the industry and I have to say this looks rather amateur-ish. HW filter which has the same selection on brand and type having all kind of stuff in it anyway?? Missing components I highly doubt nobody tried to run the OS on? On forum side of this matter no subcategories as brands for HW and so on for others? Thats really messy, furthermore with search which imo isn't working properly.. There is just ton of infomations completely missing or hard to find due to this.. Of course I will find/assume all the informations I need, just saying what the experience is like for newcomer.. Hard to imagine being a newbie who can't even set up his wi-fi like op.. It's indeed understandable while it is free project, just saying what it feels like without any mean to offend.. And sorry for my english btw..
JohnnyTightlips
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zorba on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:07 am

Looks like our 3-post friend has a bad day :D How did you cometo all these conclusions while you've been here for a very short period of time :D
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby JohnnyTightlips on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:12 am

Be more specific if u r replyin to me.. I don't see any of the conclusions being dependent on time spent here..
JohnnyTightlips
Level 1
Level 1

Postby anandrkris on Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:00 pm

You really cant blame the OP, we dont have drivers for all hardware. But then you cant blame Linux as well, only the manufacturers who care less and provide poor support for Linux.
Cheers,
If there is a drive, there will be a path
anandrkris
Level 5
Level 5

Postby monkeyboy on Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Well I have to say this site/forum doesn't make it much "user friendly" to do so.

As an actual user of Mint I urge you to learn the ins and outs of using the forum. It is actually one of the best information and help sites you will find relating to Mint. However if you want something different The Ubuntu site is setup somewhat differently and provides some of the same information presented in a somewhat different manner.

As Linux being more hw dependent (restricted), geeky "advenced to use", technical type of OS, I would expect to have well organized informations about it's supporting hw and all the stuff actually.

Easier said then done unfortunately, Linux is a very dynamic environment with a constant stream of changes coming down the pipe. Kernel changes, applications updates, new hardware, DE advancements, etc make any database maintained by a small volunteer group a next to impossible to setup and maintain. There are however a number of folks who do work on such Linux databases on their own, you have to just look around.

I'm here for first time as I would like to begin with Linux as being fairly experinced/advanced user, working in the industry and I have to say this looks rather amateur-ish.

It is a freely distributed, volunteer project for the most part, so it is what is. If one wants professional support there are a number of Linux distros that provide that, for a price.

HW filter which has the same selection on brand and type having all kind of stuff in it anyway?? Missing components I highly doubt nobody tried to run the OS on?

That is the way community supported distros work. The user hardware base is always more diverse and larger then that of the developers. So when a user hits a snag they can file a report which helps to make up for the smaller developers hardware base. But it would be nice if the developers had all the necessary hardware and staff to check all the possible computer configurations.

On forum side of this matter no subcategories as brands for HW and so on for others? Thats really messy, furthermore with search which imo isn't working properly..

Your right about that the forum search feature, it sucks in my opinion that is why I don't use it. However once you learn to use one of the other search engines to search the forum things gets much easier and productive.

There is just ton of infomations completely missing or hard to find due to this.. Of course I will find/assume all the informations I need, just saying what the experience is like for newcomer..

If one can't handle this sort of bump then chances are the actual real challenges will derail them.

Hard to imagine being a newbie who can't even set up his wi-fi like op.. It's indeed understandable while it is free project, just saying what it feels like without any mean to offend.. And sorry for my english btw.

All the millions of Linux users were "newbies" at some point and they hung in there till they learned enough to make Linux work for them. Sadly some folks lack the ability, will or whatever to make it over the learning curve and they fail. On the upside there are always other OS options available. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JohnnyTightlips on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:20 am

As an actual user of Mint I urge you to learn the ins and outs of using the forum. It is actually one of the best information and help sites you will find relating to Mint. However if you want something different The Ubuntu site is setup somewhat differently and provides some of the same information presented in a somewhat different manner.

Easier said then done unfortunately, Linux is a very dynamic environment with a constant stream of changes coming down the pipe. Kernel changes, applications updates, new hardware, DE advancements, etc make any database maintained by a small volunteer group a next to impossible to setup and maintain. There are however a number of folks who do work on such Linux databases on their own, you have to just look around.

It is a freely distributed, volunteer project for the most part, so it is what is. If one wants professional support there are a number of Linux distros that provide that, for a price.

Your right about that the forum search feature, it sucks in my opinion that is why I don't use it. However once you learn to use one of the other search engines to search the forum things gets much easier and productive.

I was just elaborating on one and only simple point in couple of sentences and you quite amazingly separated them to whole new topics. Ever heard about context? :D No, I think I can't really blame you, since I definitely could explain myself better.:lol: While the form of my post was bad I still believe it's kinda obvious what I ment, but it might be just my subjective feel as I wrote it. All I've tried to say was that there is complete (or almost complete) lack of any useful sub topic categorization/organization and not really much helpful search in the forum. Kind of surprised me, not really a big problem for me tho. Just basically reacted to op that things are not made quite ez here. I've said I do understand all of it, since it's being free, also understanding guys behind this have better things to do.
HW filter which has the same selection on brand and type having all kind of stuff in it anyway?? Missing components I highly doubt nobody tried to run the OS on?

That is the way community supported distros work. The user hardware base is always more diverse and larger then that of the developers. So when a user hits a snag they can file a report which helps to make up for the smaller developers hardware base. But it would be nice if the developers had all the necessary hardware and staff to check all the possible computer configurations.

Yes, that sounds very logic, I just can't find a way to doubt it. :( But I was actually reffering to the sort of "funkyness" in the http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware selection/filter and some imo wide used hw I didn't see there. And yes it would be pretty nice, found no way to disagree on this one too. I guess I'm that kind of person who get often lost due to my rubbish skills of pathfinding.
If one can't handle this sort of bump then chances are the actual real challenges will derail them.
+1

Well, my op shouldn't see the light of this topic really, at least not like that. It was just sort of feel for that op guy based on my first impressions of this site. Not thinked about it much, written in hurry. Thank you for unexpected kind of reply monkeyboy, I guess It just asked for something like that :) Anyway, effort appreciated.
Hopefully it makes a little bit more sense now, as that would be a great progress over the last one. Nothing meaningful said, no interesting point made by my own, so I think I stop producing any more crap for now and continue on exploration of the interesting land of pinguins. If critical bugs in my english, formating or sense were found again there is a chance of fixes being out between now and never.
JohnnyTightlips
Level 1
Level 1

Postby karlchen on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi, folks.

This thread here is one more excellent example of how benevolent users keep on "talking to the hand" although the addressee has stopped listening ages ago. :lol: The thread starter joined August 30, 2013, vented his frustration with Linux Mint and has not posted anything since September 2nd, 2013. So we can be dead sure he never cared about our answers. OK, have fun "talking to the hand". :wink:

Cheers,
Karl
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Postby xenopeek on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Yup, OP's last visit was 3 months ago :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Open chat