XFCE vs. Fluxbox

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
captain_juno

XFCE vs. Fluxbox

Post by captain_juno »

I'm trying to decide on which version to use. I know I'll ultimately need to just use both but I'm looking for something that is more efficient than KDE and Gnome and minimalistic. I'm using an older computer but by no means do I need to use something like DSL or Puppy on it. What are some differences between the Mint editions to help me decide?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: XFCE vs. Fluxbox

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Xfce is still a "desktop environment" which means it has numerous plugins for various things. It is a desktop suite, complete with a file browser, window manager, system tools, and all the other little things that make up a complete user experience.

Fluxbox, OTOH, is considered a window manager, though it does contain other components to make it usable as a stand alone desktop. It is much simpler in functionality, most tweaking is done directly through configuration files, and it is geared towards keyboard users instead of mouse users, though note that if you are a strong mouser you may still appreciate the boxes. You can invoke a system menu with a mouse click, but what makes fluxbox neat is its configurable hotkeys to open apps.

I use both. I use Xfce on my laptop as this is my "bread and butter" computer where I do most school and work. I like having all the capabilities of Gnome without all the bloat. Xfce is the perfect desktop for me, it is lite and fast, but it is not spartan. I think it is better laid out than Gnome or KDE and no matter the hardware specs this is my desktop of choice. The Mint version rocks, it is the best Xfce centric distro offering out there. I find it even better than the main Gnome edition.

I use Fluxbox (ironically) on my big rig desktop/file server/backup server. This thing has a 9850BE quad core with 4 GB RAM and 1 terrabyte of drive space. I am currently running Gentoo with Fluxbox but I will probably switch to Mint Fluxbox CE as soon as Shane is finished with it. I just really dig the speed and can appreciate Fluxbox for what it is.

edit: I should note that I use Thunar as my file manager in Gentoo/Fluxbox. I am just a graphically oriented guy and while I can operate from CLI or even something like Midnight Commander, I prefer Thunar. I should also note that LXDE seems pretty cool though I have only briefly checked it out, and e17 is snazzy too. I have a friend that uses IceWM running NextStep. I have tried this and it is good, but I prefer the simplicity of Fluxbox over all the alternatives.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

FedoraRefugee made some very good points. I am a big fan of light distributions. The latest Xfce CE is excellent, merlwiz79 did a great job on it. A new Fluxbox CE should be coming soon too. Shane had made many improvements in the new release and you will really be surprised when you see it! I suggest you look at both from the Live CDs and see what suits your needs best.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

LOVE FLUX BOX!
Want Open office with math. Or just no open office. Halfway installs suck to install over.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Curious if Fluxbox users stick with Flux even if they got a newer faster computer? Do most people using Flux use it because they like it, or they are limited to use it because they have slow computers?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

My computer is basically, the same as FedoraRefuges a High-End PC.

Mine is a custom-built PC with 6 Gb of RAM and 1 Tb of Hard-drive and another 2 Tb External Hard-drive with a top-grade Graphics Card.
... so the need for a light-weight Desktop Environment is not a necessity, but I love Xfce. :P
I have found Xfce to be just as stable, if not more so, than Gnome or KDE.
Extremely customizable ... the Xfce desktop is customizable in ways that other desktops aren't.

But, then all the Desktop Environments and Linux Distros have their Pros and Cons.

I have tried Fluxbox on my older laptop with Anti-X (Mepis-based) ... and it is fast.
Also, have an install of Crunchbang/Linux, also, based on Ubuntu but with the Openbox. Again, very customizable and fast.

My core OS is LinuxMint-8 with Xfce.
But, I mostly, use my own version of Debian Squeeze 'testing' with Xfce.
And I'm testing the new Xubuntu-Lucid Lynx 10.04 Alpha 2

I like my desktop/distros just like my cars or women . . . fast and pretty. :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”