Mint LXDE CE OFFICIAL!!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
canci

Re: Mint LXDE CE OFFICIAL!!!

Post by canci »

Hello!

Tnx for your great effort! I'm sure it'll be cool...

Here is my "minted" LXDE, I think it'd look better than your suggestion (no offense, theme taste is subjective anyway)

It's basically LXDE changed to the Shiki-Mint themes (GTK2 and icons), changed wallpaper, Openbox theme changed to Onyx-black and the panel background changed to Shiki-Mint's menu background colour.

EDIT: Here goes another one with the GTK theme showing.

Husse

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately this is canceled at least for Gloria and possibly Helena
I have not communicated with McLovin and I think he should explain why himself - I suspect health issues, he has not posted anything after September 3
canci

Post by canci »

:(
jdizzle

Post by jdizzle »

I'm quite sad too. :(
Just installed LXDE on top of gnome in LINUX MINT 7 and after a couple hours of playing I made it my default session. I freaking love it. It's mint, it's my beloved netbook, it's snappy, and it's awesome! That being said, I still feel safe having my gnome desktop waiting for me if I need it. I don't know why i would at this point, but I guess it's the unknown that's keeps me hanging on. Plus I use some of the gnome apps (gnome-power-manager, nm-applet). Having a tailored Mint LXDE CE would help me let go of gnome (and probably free up some of my wopping 4G ssd :wink: ).

Please don't give up on this! Thanks for all your hard work Mclovin. I know it hasn't come to fruition, but I'm sure it will one way or another. LXDE is just too cool and I'm sure it isn't going anywhere.

People intereseted LXDE. It's easy! This is coming from a super noober:
Just download LXDE from synaptic. Logout and login under an LXDE session and presto! Enjoy LXDE.

I did have to add nm-applet to LXDE start-up to get wireless working....easy! 1) In terminal: sudo gedit /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart 2) add: @nm-applet at the bottom of the list. 3) save 4) play.

LXDE Question:

Can i edit LXDE menu? When I right click the menu (funky looking thing on the bottom left), Menu settings is dark and unclickable. Probably for the better...less for me to screw up. However, I think I can handle it and would like to do some rearranging.

Same applys to the Volume applet in system tray (settings=dark and unclickable), this one is important for my skyping because I usually have to change something to get the damn mic to work. Never figured that one out. It's plagued me for over a year now...Ubuntu and Mint.

Sorry if this isn't the place for LXDE questions. Just tell me where to redirect if it upsets you. It's not so urgent anyway.

Most of all I just want to voice my opinion that LXDE rocks and Mint LXDE should definitely happen! I'm a patient linux dude who understands the hard work and effort put into this community stuff. And I f-ing appreciate it! It will come...I know it.

Thread realted question:

I see there is an Lubuntu project in the making. Will this help the Mint LXDE cause?

Thanks to everyone who made my netbook awesome! (and soon to make my desktop awesome as soon as I get my hand-me down)
-JDizzle
Husse

Post by Husse »

As soon as we get Helena on the road properly we will look into among other things a LXDE edition - we have a possible new maintainer
sezuor

Post by sezuor »

I'm very excited for this.
Linux Mint always worked perfectly for me.
Unlike every other distro I tried.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Currently we do not have an LXDE edition. There is an LXDE edition out there but it is not an official release from us. Only official Mint releases have gone through our quality process to meet the standards you would expect.

Edit: I just noticed Husse's post about the possibility of a new maintainer, it would be nice.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have asked to see an ISO but it has still not been presented
In fact we may have two possible lxde makers in the cupboard
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Husse's post was back in November though. Though it may have been a possibility then, nothing has surfaced in all of that time. I have Lubuntu 10.04 alpha installed on my test box at the moment, I'll try and get all of the configuration figured out and at least get some good groundwork laid out for a potential LXDE edition in the future. I may do it myself for Mint 9 if no one else steps up and if I can find the free time. Mint 9 Fluxbox will have a little more LXDE under the hood than the current release so a lot of it is work I'm going to have to do anyway.
korben

Post by korben »

mint 8 lxde?
I'm all for!
That's what's missing in distros nowadays
I hate KDE, am indifferent to Gnome, dislike xdce, but like lxde very much
so...
awaiting!

March? 8)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

I was asked to customize some artwork for this edition, here they are:
Logo
Wallpaper
Panel Background
Logout screen
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
mati75

Post by mati75 »

Who is developer of this version?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Zwopper, the LXDE artwork looks pretty cool! :)
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I bit the bullet and went ahead and threw an iso together to start working with. I have three packages I've started with to try and handle some of the defaults. It'll take me a couple of weeks, and I need to really learn LXDE, but I might have something for the team to start testing by the end of the month.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Testing LinuxMint-8-LXDE-DEV-001.iso at the moment.

dwflo

Post by dwflo »

Kendall,
I like the screenshot, looks good from here.
Just downloaded the meta package and LXDE took me by surprise. Did not expect it to look so well designed.
XFCE, Fluxbox and some other wms, just do not appeal to me. Some remind me of early window$, down right ugly.
KDE looks pretty, but what a pain in the ass to configure it all out...like panning for gold, you might get lucky. To many bells and whistles.
The KDE winbags are like Cadillac owners, think it is the best thing since creation. not realizing that under the hood and fancy covers, there lies a Chevy. :wink:
Gnome is my favorite. Not the best looking, but easy to customize. LXDE looks like it has lots of potential.

Dave
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

I could create some ftp accounts (for posting) and spare some bandwidth to host an elementry-pre-alpha for development.

I would like to document and test this using USB/NAND_FLASH installation methods. This distro would be ideal for netbook laptops and such.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

grimdestripador wrote:I could create some ftp accounts (for posting) and spare some bandwidth to host an elementry-pre-alpha for development.

I would like to document and test this using USB/NAND_FLASH installation methods. This distro would be ideal for netbook laptops and such.
Here at Mint we release no alphas or betas. Basically nothing that doesn't already meet Mint quality control standards is ever available to the public. The release candidates that we push already meet those standards, but it's at that point that we try to really give the public an opportunity to catch some of the bugs that we've missed. It's a hard process, but it's remarkably effective. This is done to preserve the integrity of the Mint name because everything released under that name is going to be the absolute best that it can be. I do very much thank you for the offer though.

Looking at base resource usage, I don't think this will stand much of a chance of being lighter than the Fluxbox edition. The LXDE core and settings daemon are both heavier and pull more RAM than Fluxbox (the Fluxbox CE doesn't even use a system settings daemon). I'll try to get it as light as possible, but expect it to fall somewhere in between Fluxbox and Xfce.

I still have a bit of learning to do with LXDE regarding it's capabilities and limitations in the first place. Next on the order of business is to get all the file associations correct as LXDE seems to be pretty terrible about this out of the box. That and I need to have it default to the "startlxde" session as the inclusion of Openbox pulls in some other sessions that will likely never be necessary (a default login goes straight to Openbox).
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

OK, so its not a release. So if its not a release, then can't we have a developers circle. Wouldn't it be nice if the release could include vbox drivers such that this could be the first LM release to include Virtual box integration... additions like this would never see the light unless we had more than one working on its development. One (person) for core developmental, others could review the 'core developer circle' release and ensure small things like Firefox's preferred application launching and streaming could be linked to VLC.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

I'm going to do some work with it, and if it looks promising, then I'll try to push it as an official release. It's too early to tell at this point.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”