A few ideas for Celena

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

exploder wrote:I spent 3 hours trying to get gfx-boot to work. I followed the how to on the Ubuntu forums. No luck, does absolutely nothing....
Since you already installed it is most likely you didn't do the command for Feisty.

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Change sda to whatever you have the system booting from. Mine is sdd.
I could try to make a How to, once I get the grub-gfxboot to work with kernel upgrades.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will wait for the tutorial. I tried everything and no luck...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Another beautification we could add is Firefox widgets
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30010
MUCH nicer look to Firefox
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

exploder wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I will wait for the tutorial. I tried everything and no luck...
Ok, I have made a new grub-gfxboot package for KDE and will make the other 2 after this post.
Then I will make the Guide for installing the gfxboot.
Husse wrote:Another beautification we could add is Firefox widgets
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30010
MUCH nicer look to Firefox

I install that minute I get all the updates installed. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Thank you!
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

just a quick note for people installing.

in menu.lst gfxboot uses gfxmenu.
eg.

gfxmenu /boot/grub/message.mint1.1

do not use gfxboot /boot/.... I did this and it took me ages to workout that i can not read.
I guess i was too excited to get the black boot screen.

And comment out the hidden menu line too.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Here is the How To:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 0030#30030

I have fixed the Help but need to find a way to make the list scroll so it doesn't cover the logo.
Elthium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elthium »

I've noticed that in a few of the live cd's around there's an option to "copy2ram" when doing an install.

Would this be possible for Celena? It would be nice to be able to take out the disc to try out and see if we can play DVD's straight out of the box plus the added bonus of lighting quick speed...
facade47

Post by facade47 »

merlwiz, your gfxboot theme is AMAZING!!! :D :D

How did you move the OS choices/logo around?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

facade47 wrote:merlwiz, your gfxboot theme is AMAZING!!! :D :D

How did you move the OS choices/logo around?
I have 2 different sources and compile the one you see myself.
The picture above is old, since that pic I removed the bottom panel and changes the F1 Help color to green.
I am still trying to find away to make the list stop above the logo and scroll, like it does for the suse edited ones.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have gotten everything fixed for the gfxboot.
http://rapidshare.com/files/50282264/message.mint1.1

I also made another:
http://rapidshare.com/files/50290971/message.mint1.2
The how to with the fixed grub-gfxboot(allows kernel updates) for each Linux Mint 3.0 release, is here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4673
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

merlwiz79: very good how to. Worked like a charm. Thanks.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

NDISWRAPPER PROBLEM.

Post by grizwald »

Hi All,

I have noticed [not the first 'll bet] problems with the graphics for ndiswrapper. After loading a driver, it fails to show it [and any others] that have been installed. There are a few other 'glitches' too where buttons don't work properly as well.
Apparently it worked Ok in earlier releases.

This observation came about because of my trying to install a Netgear WG111v2 wireless dongle and implement WPA-PSK - using Cassandra, so far without success. In one of the forums it was suggested there was a problem with the current version of Ubuntu [upon which Mint is based] and I'm hoping this problem has been addressed already. Bit late if it hasn't I suppose.

That is my 2 cents worth - and of course, the observation that web cams aren't catered for either [big subject I know].

My heart felt regards to the developers and contributors who have made Mint [and Ubuntu] a seriously terrific alternative to 'we know what'.
Cheers,

Grizwald.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Ede wrote:The complete removal of Amarok, and replace it with Exaile.
I'm OK with that! I support this wish! :)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

personally I love the way mint simply uses whats best wether it's KDE or GTK based... I fully support clem to keep amarok as it IS better of the two...

When I first got into linux I was completely lost with all this programs that were completely unknown to me... than I finally got a hang of things and tried KDE version of ubuntu and BLAM it's all over again...

My opinion is that we select what's best and use THAT regardless of the libs and stuff....

Same goes for the mainstream gnome edition and the CEs...
Windows is extremely fast after a fresh install. If you want to make it stay that way: - don't use it.
-Clem
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Hey all!

One thing I would really love to see is: a information window in which the user can be informed if other sessions are already running-.
What I means is this:
My Wife, my daughter and I are using one computer. Since the computer is running over hours and we three are using it often, one can often not recall if s/he has loged-off a session or if his/her session is active in the background. It would be nice to have a way to see all active sessions-with one click- before loggin into a new gdmscreen. (I think that kubuntu has a good way to deal with this issue. In the Kmenu you have not just a log off button, but something like a switch user button, in which you can see the active sessions, so that you simply have to click into your session.)
Man my english is so poor...hope you understand me. If not please ask me to explain it better :-D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I would like to see the mint-menu icon stay with the mint logo when changing icon themes. I hate having the Ubuntu logo when I change icon themes.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

OK here's my two bits

An install option rather than booting the Live CD and a question, when do you foresee rebasing to Debian and cutting out the middle man "Ubuntu"?
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

hi all!

I do not mean to offend anyone with this... but after reaching page 8 of this thread i am glad to see that the 'make-it-like-windows' posts have died out :D i think we do not need to copy windows... we can and have done much better. People migrating from windows should understand that Mint is not an imitation of windows and should be willing to accept the difference... as Mint and Linux are clearly better!

merlwiz79, i absolutely love the boot screen you made! i do have one suggestion though. there is quite a bit of empty space below the Linux Mint logo. If it is possible could you either move the logo to the top and the boot menu to the middle of the screen... or move the logo just above the boot options and boot menu closer to the middle of the screen. i think it would look better... just a suggestion...

again, credit to merlwiz79 for his work on the XFCE edition! I wish Mint with GNOME could be as light and fast... as apparently XFCE nowadays is not much lighter or less resource hungry than GNOME. I think clem has made a good decision to question the need for Beagle and removing it should make Mint lighter. I have not used Cassandra GNOME so I don't know what services are run by default but I say let us keep the default running services at a reasonable level to allow for a functional but still snappy experience. Finding a balance is the key. I recommend you try out Mint XFCE to see what a difference a light and fast distro makes to the user experience.

I have another suggestion which may be harder to implement.

Mint recommends a clean install rather than an upgrade. So, instead of going with Ubuntu's put-everything-on-one-partition method, why don't we have Mint partition the hard disk by default to create a separate /home partition. And on performing an installation, the installer would look for an existing Mint installation, detect the current /home partition, use that by default, format the previous /root partition and install itself there. If no previous Mint installation is detected it would use the entire disk, and create the /root and /home partitions. The default size of the /root partition could be around 6GB to leave ample space for applications (depending on the size of the hard disk). Maybe a "Mint upgrade" and "Mint new installation" option in Ubiquity's partitioning tool?

Of course this can be done currently by going manual but from my experience, the hardest part new users come across during an Ubuntu/Mint installation is partitioning. And it is more complicated explaining to a new-comer how to create partitions and what to do when installing a newer version of Mint. If this could be reduced to an option in Ubiquity, that would be awesome!

As for making the transition from one version to another, I have another suggestion :D i hope you guys are not bored yet with my rant :lol: My idea is having a script or a cron job that would periodically backup key configuration files to a hidden Mint-configuration-backup folder in the /home partition. Stuff I would include here would be xorg.conf, all network settings, list of installed applications, apt sources list. Then, when a newer version of Mint is installed it would restore the configurations from this backup... since they are in /home and are thus preserved through the upgrade! Also it can be used as a restore function in case the user messes things up. Maybe an option could be included to allow more savvy users to add other config files to be backed up? I feel such a feature would add to the out-of-the-box bliss of Mint :wink:

In the case of xorg.conf, things might be harder because of all the variables involved... but its a start i guess...

ok I think thats enough from me... and I hope I've explained my ideas clearly...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”