Mint 8 & Ubuntu One

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Borsook

Mint 8 & Ubuntu One

Post by Borsook »

A quick question - will the integration with Ubuntu One be kept in Mint 8? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, the forum does not allow a search for Ubuntu One phrase...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Borsook

Re: Mint 8 & Ubuntu One

Post by Borsook »

ikey wrote: This allows for uploads to any online service you specify.
But will there be any default service? And will it be possible for it to work with ubuntu one?
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Why should there be a default service? Didn't ikey already answer your second question?
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

lagagnon wrote:Why should there be a default service?
Two reasons - there was a default service in the past, hence my thinking that maybe there will be one in the future (esp with Ubuntu having one). Secondly, having a default service would make it much easier to use for non-technical people.
ikey wrote:I take it you didn't look at that link I gave? :wink:

My apologies for not being clear enough the first time :D

- Ikey Doherty
I did take a look, not that it meant that much to me (I'm not savvy enough). And thank you for your answers, you've been very informative. :)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I just found this thread and would like to clarify a few things:

1) Ubuntu One is not included by default in the latest dev-only iso of Helena
2) There will not be a default service since it's now obvious we can't rely on them
3) However, there has been at least one community member (thanks ikey :-)) offering a service, so when it's set up will become available *as an option* through the normal update methods
4) I don't know exactly how Ubuntu One works beyond the folder syncing, so it's not directly supported in Helena, but could be in future (I'll add it as a planned feature). It's probable that it uses an existing protocol (e.g. ftp/sftp) in which case you can setup mintUpload appropriately. Alternatively if you run an ftp or ssh server on your machine anyway, then you can setup mintupload with "localhost" as the hostname, using the path to the ubuntu one service's folder, to "upload" a file via the normal syncing method (assuming the ubuntu one service is still running in the background).
5) mintupload has been vastly re-arranged to a new form for Helena - a tray applet and a services manager. I'm planning to get the old interface available again as an option (which may be necessary for the CEs) but don't know when that'll be possible.
6) checkout http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=25794 for tips on searching the mint forums.
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Why not leave Ubuntu One alone? Won't you be alienating everyone who's looking forward to using that feature in 9.10?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

we're not doing anything to Ubuntu One, you can still install it as you can with evolution if you want and all the other packages we don't include on a default install.
vlovjz

Post by vlovjz »

Well that clears that up. Good.

Thanks emorrp1.
jakepc123

Post by jakepc123 »

emorrp1 wrote:we're not doing anything to Ubuntu One, you can still install it as you can with evolution if you want and all the other packages we don't include on a default install.

There is some instructions here on how to install ubuntu one into linux mint

http://www.shivaranjan.com/2009/05/17/u ... ntu-linux/

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”