I Love Helena

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ScottishGirl

I Love Helena

Post by ScottishGirl »

Hi Guys :)

I have being running Helena for the last month, and I have got to say that I am really delighted with Helena. I had problems installing and updating Gloria but Helena is really great, I have absolutely no complaints. I love that with Linux Mint libdvdcss is automatically installed, unlike Ubuntu and Mandriva/Fedora/OpenSuse where you have to hunt down and manually install libdvdcss.
In my opinion Linux Mint is the best Linux distro available, and that includes the rpm distros. I want to thank everyone involved with Mint, you all have produced a really great and aesthetically pleasing distro.

Stephanie

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: I Love Helena

Post by richyrich »

. . . ditto . . . richy . . . Image
Craig

Post by Craig »

Yeah, it's a brilliant release for sure. I have tried many live CD's of other distributions and nothing comes close to Linux Mint in terms of usability,ease of use,stability and performance with older computers. (Linux Mint 8 Gnome)

And with the latest innovation from the Mint team of the community website that allows you to submit ideas and even your hardware information at your own convenience.

It's sure going to go that next step further in making it even better in terms of compatibility and support. :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Welcome to LinuxMint!!

Glad to got that "out of the box" experience that Mint is famous for. :P
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Craig wrote:Yeah, it's a brilliant release for sure. I have tried many live CD's of other distributions and nothing comes close to Linux Mint in terms of usability,ease of use,stability and performance with older computers. (Linux Mint 8 Gnome)

And with the latest innovation from the Mint team of the community website that allows you to submit ideas and even your hardware information at your own convenience.

It's sure going to go that next step further in making it even better in terms of compatibility and support. :)
I'd just like to add you don't have to have an older computer to appreciate the fine craftsmanship these people put into their product. Things just work in Linux Mint and if it don't, this great Forum will help you find solutions.
Craig

Post by Craig »

bobcollard wrote:
Craig wrote:Yeah, it's a brilliant release for sure. I have tried many live CD's of other distributions and nothing comes close to Linux Mint in terms of usability,ease of use,stability and performance with older computers. (Linux Mint 8 Gnome)

I'd just like to add you don't have to have an older computer to appreciate the fine craftsmanship these people put into their product. Things just work in Linux Mint and if it don't, this great Forum will help you find solutions.
I know that, I'm not disputing that either, if you look around the forum at some of my posts you will see that is the general impression I give as well. I was just in general making it aware at how great it works for me (from my viewpoint) with older computers as well when others do not support necessarily as well as Linux Mint. And like I said before, I can see it only getting better.

There is no doubt, how much effort goes into this distribution to make it as good as it can really get. :)
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

May I ask a really stupid question? If I'm in Linux Mint 7 is there an "upgrade path" to Helena?

...or is it an completely fresh installation?
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Anthrogue wrote:May I ask a really stupid question? If I'm in Linux Mint 7 is there an "upgrade path" to Helena?

...or is it an completely fresh installation?
There are no stupid questions. However, you could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by doing a search for the very subject you are asking. Do a search for upgrading Mint 7 to 8, You may not like the answers. In conclusion, it is not advisable, but, it can be done.
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

Update Manage > Upgrade

But as it has been told already, it's not advisable
And of course, we do all love Mint Helena :P
Anthrogue

Post by Anthrogue »

I just did a search... for "upgrading Mint 7 to 8" and this thread comes up number 2. The first is meaningless blather, which like this one, doesn't answer the question. So now another search result that references the issue but does not answer................. at least not directly.

I suppose by "not recommended" that rather than upgrade, one does a completely fresh install every time a new version comes out. That sounds rather hideous, but again.. maybe I'm missing something (since, lamentable n00b that I am, I'm still hostage to a Windows mentality)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Anthrogue wrote:I just did a search... for "upgrading Mint 7 to 8" and this thread comes up number 2. The first is meaningless blather, which like this one, doesn't answer the question. So now another search result that references the issue but does not answer................. at least not directly.

I suppose by "not recommended" that rather than upgrade, one does a completely fresh install every time a new version comes out. That sounds rather hideous, but again.. maybe I'm missing something (since, lamentable n00b that I am, I'm still hostage to a Windows mentality)
Not missing something, so much, as not looking far enough. But, that's understandable. There are changes in programs that are not available in the older versions. There is always a new set of dependencies to deal with, changes in the way files are handled and it goes on and on. I'm not a Tech, just a user like you, and I learned the hard way. Back up your home folder, the visible files, not the hidden ones. Then do a full install of the newer version. That's the best advice you will get.
BigBug

Post by BigBug »

I am using it for 2 weeks now and i love it, too! :-)
normanp

Post by normanp »

My first time with Mint - 8 is really superb!
I'm particularly pleased that I can share folders without further installs (the computer has no Internet connection).
For the future please ensure that sharing stays this easy :D
capt

Post by capt »

I agree also that Mint-8 is superb! The install is fast and simple and detected the correct video resolutions on every install so far. This has been a big problem on other distro's. Keep up the good work! :D
capt
Breakintheclouds

Post by Breakintheclouds »

Hello everybody.

I've just installed Mint (Gnome edition) after using Kubuntu for the past year or two, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. Everything just works so much better! Well done to everybody involved - you've got yet another convert.
spiffin

Post by spiffin »

Likewise, I've tried many distros but Helena gnome is the quickest and cleanest. Opera and Chrome browsers are a bit grotty, but Firefox is fast and clean so I'll stick with it. :)
rodney

Post by rodney »

I Love Helena
So do I , I'm using the 64bit Helena and it's amazing !

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”