AptOnCD installed by default - best time saver

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

AptOnCD installed by default - best time saver

Post by madjr »

This is a great utility and time saver for both broadband and dialup users or even for people/institutions without internet connection.

i always keep it and the backups it makes handy, saves me hours and hours of downloading.

I have 3 computers and i can't be dowloading the same updates on each one...

imagine people/business with 10, 20 or more computers.

It's a very small program, but big in usefulness :P
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

Just a dumb question, but what is it and what do you use it for? I never heard of it.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I have been looking into this and other extra repo CD methods for the KDE Mint.

what i have found is it is a gnome application so when you add it to KDE it has a lot of dependancy baggage.
this is not a problem for the KDE Mint version but where it would be most handy would be the miniKDE Mint.

It becomes a catch 22 situation for miniKDE, what do I remove to add it in.
OR
can I just add it to an extras/aptonCD CD and maybe add a script to the mintAssistant to install it off the CD. yes this sounds better.

Ok things for me to test/play with..

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

Boo wrote:I have been looking into this and other extra repo CD methods for the KDE Mint.

what i have found is it is a gnome application so when you add it to KDE it has a lot of dependancy baggage.
this is not a problem for the KDE Mint version but where it would be most handy would be the miniKDE Mint.

It becomes a catch 22 situation for miniKDE, what do I remove to add it in.
OR
can I just add it to an extras/aptonCD CD and maybe add a script to the mintAssistant to install it off the CD. yes this sounds better.

Ok things for me to test/play with..

:D
most of us who do use APTonCD use Gnome (i guess).

The .deb package is 169.8 KB
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/admin/aptoncd

if you need to make extra space, there's "sound joucer cd extractor" and the "sunbird calendar". Both are good addons, but i rarely ever touch them. I guess if anyone would need them, they would download it ?

Also there're probably a bit too many mint "old" wallpapers that look too much the same, so they're taking space also.

For those asking what APTonCD is:
CD-based repository creator for packages downloaded via APT

Tool for the creation of a CD-based repository containing all packages downloaded via apt-get. Helpful for a post-installation on several machines or a simple backup method to re-install the system. After you've created the CD, you will be able to add it as a repository, as if it were an Ubuntu 'CD 2'. To run it, type "aptoncd" in a terminal. Or alternatively, via System -> Administration -> APTonCD menu entry.

For more information, visit http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net
best thing is i don't have to burn the isos it creates, i just carry them around in a mem stick o keep them in a HD partition, then restore from there.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Thanks for this suggestion. I will give it a try. If everything goes well, I see no reason for it not to be present in Celena.

Clem

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”