Which Desktop Version Do You Prefer? Vote Here

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Desktop Version Do You Use/Prefer Vote Here

Poll ended at Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 pm

GNOME X32 Main
35%
GNOME X64
17%
KDE_CE X32
13%
KDE_CE X64
10%
Fluxbox_CE
4%
XFCE_CE
8%
LXDE_CE
8%
Custom Desktop-ON Desktop = EX: KDE / LXDE
3%
Other Linux Desktops= EX: ION,Moblin
2%

Total votes: 273

Jay514

Which Desktop Version Do You Prefer? Vote Here

Post by Jay514 »

This is an issue & question I had spoke with Husse about, prior & up to his passing. I think the results will be important to the Team & Community as a whole to get a good idea of how many users are using which desktop environments.I know there are many of us that use more than one computer & or desktop, such as myself. I am using 4 different Desktop Environments just on this laptop alone.So to keep things fair, a user may choose from the list above up to
4 options one time.
This poll will run 200Days, I think we will have the needed results much sooner, but just in case It will be open that long.Thank you, Happy Minting,
Jay514 :mrgreen:

Edit = There seems to be some confusion about the option ( Custom Desktop -on- Desktop Ex = KDE / LXDE )

I will attempt to explain = This was proposed because there are user whom customize their Distro by adding Another Desktop Environment "DE" & or by adding another Window Manager "WM".
In other words users who customize the default distro ( lets say Fluxbox for example added to the GNOME Main Edition ) or ( KDE added to LXDE ), these are just examples.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 11 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: Witch Desktop Version Do You Prefer? Vote Here

Post by mick55 »

Which not witch :wink:

cheers
mick
Jay514

Re: Witch Desktop Version Do You Prefer? Vote Here

Post by Jay514 »

Thanks Mick, I tend to misspell & skip words when I am in a hurry :oops:
tower

Re: Which Desktop Version Do You Prefer? Vote Here

Post by tower »

Hi, I am a bit confused, are just asking about desktops because the last choice seems to be asking about other Linux versions?
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

tower wrote:Hi, I am a bit confused, are just asking about desktops because the last choice seems to be asking about other Linux versions?
Sorry for the confusion, just desktop versions.
I corrected the last Example,
tower

Post by tower »

Sorry my mistake! I got my XPUD and PUD distro mixed up!
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

By "Custom Desktop-ON Desktop = EX: KDE / LXDE" what do you mean exactly?

I usually install the main version of a distro and with time add whatever desktop environments or window managers to it that I feel like playing with or using. I'm not sure that I really have a preference anymore.

I have only actually used the main GNOME 32-bit version (even though I've added lots of different DEs and WMs on top of it at one time or another). If the main version of Mint was KDE, I'd probably use that. I like both environments.

I don't really see which voting choice applies to me. You might want to be cautious about drawing too many conclusions from this poll. Or any poll, for that matter! 8)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Needed results for what? :? What are you trying to prove here?

In any case, I am game. I use Xfce with Mint, though I am fluent on all DE/WMs. I really dislike Gnome and KDE. Lxde and Fluxbox/openbox are very nice. ratpoison, icewm, windowmaker, jwm and many others are all usable...''

I am just happy that it is Linux and we have a choice. :D
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

MALsPa wrote:By "Custom Desktop-ON Desktop = EX: KDE / LXDE" what do you mean exactly?

I usually install the main version of a distro and with time add whatever desktop environments or window managers to it that I feel like playing with or using. I'm not sure that I really have a preference anymore.

I have only actually used the main GNOME 32-bit version (even though I've added lots of different DEs and WMs on top of it at one time or another). If the main version of Mint was KDE, I'd probably use that. I like both environments.

I don't really see which voting choice applies to me. You might want to be cautious about drawing too many conclusions from this poll. Or any poll, for that matter! 8)
You Answered your first question in the Paragraph after it, You usually install the main version & add another WM or Desktop. :roll:
The EXample of KDE/LXDE is only an example. If you like you can choose the main desktop you use & 3 more,
I just felt That was an option, since A few people have more than one desktop.
I really do not understand your rejection in the last sentence of your quote :?:
This poll will allow everyone to see what desktops are being used in the community. You are not required to vote,but are welcome too.
Jay514
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

FedoraRefugee wrote:Needed results for what? :? What are you trying to prove here?
:D
1) To reveal what % of desktops are being used by the community.
2) There was no post ,Stats, Or otherwise revealing how many or what % of desktops were in use during a release cycle.I had ask & spoke to Husse on several occasions before & he confirmed my previous statement. Also, Exploder said by PM "Looks like a cool idea. We would know what people really want. "
Also for curiosity :mrgreen: ,This information could be used by whomever wishes to view it.
Jay514
tower

Post by tower »

It is a good idea but LXDE has just come out so it may get a low vote. Not everyone will have tried it yet.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Jay514 wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:Needed results for what? :? What are you trying to prove here?
:D
1) To reveal what % of desktops are being used by the community.
2) There was no post ,Stats, Or otherwise revealing how many or what % of desktops were in use during a release cycle.I had ask & spoke to Husse on several occasions before & he confirmed my previous statement. Also, Exploder said by PM "Looks like a cool idea. We would know what people really want. "
Also for curiosity :mrgreen: ,This information could be used by whomever wishes to view it.
Jay514
Works for me! Now, I just have to log in with my 52 other user IDs and pad the Xfce selection! :lol:
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

tower wrote:It is a good idea but LXDE has just come out so it may get a low vote. Not everyone will have tried it yet.
Good point, the poll runs for 200days :wink: , that should allow users a little time to vote :)
Jay514
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
Works for me! Now, I just have to log in with my 52 other user IDs and pad the Xfce selection! :lol:
52 :shock: :o :lol: , Vote fair Please,
Jay514
Robin

Post by Robin »

I toyed with LXDE a little bit last year, and it was just really buggy. More than annoying, but show-stopping. A few months later I had another look and it was much improved! Still kinda buggy, still "under heavy development" (which I read as "unstable, beta"). But it's ultra-lightweight, very simple, and pretty. I think that in another year or so when it "matures," it will definitely compete with Xfce and win the ultralight d.e. contest hands down. It does not yet offer the features and extra goodies that Xfce does, but I'll continue to revisit LXDE every so often. At the rate it's going, I expect it to be on equal footing with Xfce in another year or so. Sweet, ultra-light, extremely fast, very pretty.

I'm using Xfce almost exclusively now (Openbox on a laptop a la Crunchbang), and with the changes coming in Gnome, I expect that Xfce, which to me is kinda sorta like "Gnome Lite," will gain a lot of new users who are unhappy with Gnome 3 when it is adopted.

I voted for two: Xfce and LXDE.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

You may want to add an e17 (Enlightenment) category. I have used it quite often in the past and have always found it to be beautiful yet still a bit buggy. Development was stalled for the longest time and I do not know what is going on with the project, but I do know that no matter the distro the subject always seems to come up. There have been more than a few requests for a Mint version.

I am really curious as to the response on this one.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Robin wrote:I'll continue to revisit LXDE every so often.
Mint 8 LXDE RC1 is in the mirrors now. Please take a look and offer any feedback you have. Thanks.
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

There seems to be some confusion about the option ( Custom Desktop -on- Desktop Ex = KDE / LXDE )

I will attempt to explain = This was proposed because there are user whom customise their Distro by adding Another Desktop Enviroment "DE" & or by adding another Window Manager "WM".
In other words users who customise the default distro ( lets say Fluxbox for example added to the GNOME Main Edition ) or ( KDE added to LXDE ), these are just examples.
So this choice was aimed at those users, so that they would have a choice to select, the percentage of users may be small whom do this, but I know there are those users whom customise their distros out there.
I apologise for any confusion this may cause,
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Jay514 wrote:There seems to be some confusion about the option ( Custom Desktop -on- Desktop Ex = KDE / LXDE )

I will attempt to explain = This was proposed because there are user whom customise their Distro by adding Another Desktop Enviroment "DE" & or by adding another Window Manager "WM".
In other words users who customise the default distro ...
You might want to add this to the OP for those just coming to the topic.

BTW. Gnome main but have my sights on XFCE, used it a small bit when I installed VectorLinux on some old hardware a few years ago.
ers1121

Post by ers1121 »

I voted for both of the Gnome desktops because I use both 32 & 64 bit editions. I will say I like the look of KDE slightly better, but there have been severe functionality issues with every KDE version I tried.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”