Linux Mint E17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
olligod

Re: Linux Mint E17

Post by olligod »

Jeff91 wrote:
So Bodhi is the closest thing you will find to a "current" Mint/Ubuntu desktop with E17 :)

~Jeff
Jeff, as you said in the forum, you are the maintainer of Bodhi:
If you treated us to a "E17- Mint themed", "Maverick/Mint-10 based", that would be quite something !
Bodhi is currently based on Ubuntu lucid...not old, but soon (besides E17 itself) only based on a year-old base.

Regarding the brand: Clem will safeguard the Mint name for quality assurance reason, and keep it for official Mint iso's
but one could move that distro "close" to Mint... functionality and theme count most.

VERY POSITIVE NOTE: It looks as if programs installed from the Ubuntu repos appear in the E17 menu nicely.
I even installed a KDE app (Kate, not for max. "added value" under E17 but to check compatibility).
It appears in the E17 menu instantly, too.

Thus, E17, as installed in bodhi, is already VERY compatible with Ubuntu - and as a result, close enough to Mint.

SO treat us for a "Bodhi, mintified" spin :wink:
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

Olligod,

Even thought we ship a Lucid base a good deal of the software in our repositories is newer versions than even maverick contains. Our current kernel is also 2.6.35. As far as shipping extra software goes... I am not too much a fan of that. The medibuntu repo is enabled by default however and it is easy enough to find and install extra software on a base Bodhi install.

As far as the E17 menu and QT/GTK support - yes applications from other desktops work just fine under E just as GTK work under KDE and QT work under Gnome. And the E17 menu is fully desktop standards compliant, so yes all your menu entries will work just fine as well :)

~Jeff
olligod

Post by olligod »

Jeff91 wrote:Olligod,

Even thought we ship a Lucid base a good deal of the software in our repositories is newer versions than even maverick contains. Our current kernel is also 2.6.35. As far as shipping extra software goes... I am not too much a fan of that.
Absolutely ! No extra packages. Keep it nice and small for those with small/low end machines - any software desired can be pulled from the archives by the user.
But a "mintified" theme...could possibly increase your followers :wink:
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

Ahh - I see what you mean now. But alsa I am simply a humble hacker, you would want to drop a line to our theme creator with that request.

~Jeff
helterskelter

Post by helterskelter »

A little bit puzzled by the reference E17,isnt that the current release of Elive? A distro USING the Enlightenment window manager?

The best Distro Using Enlightenment so far (IMHO) is PCLinuxOS (along with most other WM's)-and there is plenty of support on their excellent Forum.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph ... 723.0.html

eddie
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

helterskelter wrote:A little bit puzzled by the reference E17,isnt that the current release of Elive? A distro USING the Enlightenment window manager?

The best Distro Using Enlightenment so far (IMHO) is PCLinuxOS (along with most other WM's)-and there is plenty of support on their excellent Forum.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.ph ... 723.0.html

eddie
Current release of Elive is a very dated Enlightenment desktop. Many things that have worked for a long time under E are non-functional in Elive (such as audio function keys on laptops).

As far as PCLinOS goes, yes it is a good selection - but it is RPM based not .deb based. Maybe I am a little bit biased, but I have always preferred the later of the two package methods ;)

~Jeff
Imhoteps

Post by Imhoteps »

Bodhi Linux is what you guys might try. And it`s deb-based btw.
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

Hi Guys,

Jeff, great job with Bodhi. Great idea, and great execution.

For those that are interested I'm going to try adding the mint packages to Bodhi, using these ubuntu hacks.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1511877
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9462173

I'm not sure how well this will work, but it's worth a try. I like the Mint tools.
Jeff91

Post by Jeff91 »

If you test the mint tools in Bodhi and they work well, link me to the deb packages/repo you get them from and I'll be happy to get them added/built into the default Bodhi repo.

Cheers,
~Jeff
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

So,

Let me just say that as a total n00b I was not the right person to try this :lol:
It probably should have been obvious when no-one tried to do it, that this was a deadend quest...

the repository was just the standard http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php?release=Julia
but since Bodhi uses an earlier base, this might have caused conflicts?

I don't know jack about the standard package management in ubuntu so I was at a bit of a loss for a while.
I added the following manually, by downloding the debs from the repository (using midori)

Mint keyring
mint translations and
mint common

Then I though i should try synaptic as the mint sources should have been added...
I then ran into major dependency problems when I tried to use synaptic to install stuff.
I eventually figured out how to use aptitude from the command line and tried to install Mint software manager

sudo aptitude install mintinstall

Dependencies were just a bunch of python stuff. Fairly large install, but it worked. Once it was installed, the program appeared in the Enlightenment menu. The program loaded properly, allowed browsing of the software selection, upon clicking 'install' nothing happened.

Tried the same with mintMenu, it listed a whole bunch of Gnome stuff as dependancies so I didn't bother. I'm not sure if adding half of gnome into E17 would defeat the purpose?

The mintdesktop tool is for tweaking gnome settings so it's also probably not going to be great in E17.

Still To Try

I think aptitude didn't find mintwifi. Might be listed under a different name? I couldn't find it so I might try doing it manually from the repo website.
also:
Mint Upload
Mint Backup
Mint Nanny (not that I condone censorship)
Jix

Post by Jix »

Why not just download the Bodhi OS from here?
http://www.bodhilinux.com/download.html
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

Jix wrote:Why not just download the Bodhi OS from here?
http://www.bodhilinux.com/download.html
That's how I got it....
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I recommend to use the .deb's or repository from Mint Isadora as that version uses the same Ubuntu 10.04 base as Bodhi.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carltonh »

I'm running Linux Mint Debian Edition at the moment. Is there an E17 repo that would be good to add to try it out on LMDE?
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

carltonh wrote:I'm running Linux Mint Debian Edition at the moment. Is there an E17 repo that would be good to add to try it out on LMDE?
http://debe17.com/ they have different ways to install it on Debian even a way from a .deb file
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

E17 is in testing repos! :D

Now, you can install it from synaptic!!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Linux Mint Debian Xfce with E17 and my custom setup.
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

SWEEET!

It looks like you've finally solved the case of EnlightenMINT.
Run it through reconstructor and you've made a new Mint edition!

Congrats man, looks nice.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Linux Mint E17 sounds nice, it would be a good Mint edition.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

While I'm not a huge fan of Enlightenment, I always think it's a good idea to offer more lightweight LM distros. Having played with Bodhi, I like the speed of E, but I just don't like it more than my favorite DE, XFCE. However, I do think that Jeff does a great job with Bodhi, and I'm sure that someone here could do a great job with EnlightenMINT. I just don't think that it's for me. BUT I WOULD be in favor of more options.

mikhou

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”