Linux Mint E17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux Mint E17

Post by merlwiz79 »

mikhou wrote:merlwiz, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have observed in the past, merlwiz worked primarily on the XFCE edition up until LMDE XFCE. Clem actually rolled that one. I believe that merlwiz had some family issues going on with his wife's health and wasn't able to work on LMDE XFCE so Clem picked up the baton. I played with the XFCE CEs in the past and liked them so if anybody could produce a solid E17 edition, I'm sure that merlwiz would do a fine job. I don't know if the Mint Devs even want an E17 edition with Mint's name on it so it's anybody's guess as to how far this could go.

mikhou
I had all the packages made for Linux Mint Xfce 10 but decided it was late to release.
So I was about to start on Linux Mint Xfce 11 when Linux Mint Debian 201104 came out.
I then was told that Linux Mint Xfce (Ubuntu base) wasn't going to be released anymore.
I could have had the test ISO built by now but if it's not going to be released why was the time.
I was never told about the Debian Xfce being made so I never helped with it.
I haven't even been using it since it's so buggy.

I'm not trying to make an E17 Distro.
I'm trying to make E17 svn packages that you can install on Ubuntu 11.04 or Linux Mint 11.
The packages aren't going to be that stable.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

I still do have questions if I may ask- about legalities. Could one be sued if a file here or there was missed in the rebranding? What penalties would there be? If it's made clear that it isn't an officilal mint distro? Which parts are GPL exactly? I understand the desire to keep Mint pure, but what happens if someone releases Mint 11 with e17 as is with all the branding still there? I ask out of curiosity.

I've been using Mint 11 with e17 a few days now and it's been pretty stable (with mint branding). Last night (testing) I removed all mint programs, icons, wallpaper,keeping gnome control center and gdm using synaptic and installed LXDE- keeping e17 as default. Would this be sufficient? Would I need to change the kernel as well?

As a side note - about the new scroll bar- as 'linux' goes, I find I waste a millisecond more time grabbing that thing than the normal scroll bar. I find it amusing (I think I read) that the new scroll bar is meant to save space but with Unity there's the whole side panel :0

As far as buggy goes and another side note I'm surprised how buggy some top ten distros still are, after all this time. For example I used to use Mepis before they switched to Ubuntu and never had any issues. But even now since they'e switched back to debian- year after year I have trouble just with the live disc working properly.

Best wishes,
Xeta
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If some file here or there is forgotten, and you correct it (and upload it to the repository so that your users get an update) as soon as you find it or get pointed on it, I think no one will sue you for this.

No need to change the kernel, just the packages with 'Mint' in the name is enough. The kernel package is not named 'mint'.
Gnome Control Center and GDM are not made by Mint (though the background of GDM is but that can easily be changed).

Everything is GPL (or another open-source licence like BSD, LGPL or MIT) but with the exception that you have to remove Mint branding and names when redistributing it without permission from Clem. You may, however, tell on your website that it is based on Mint if you don't put it into the logo, page title, name and such things. And you may re-use the code wherever you want, as long as the packages containing Mint code are open-source and GPL licenced.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Thank you.

Is there a way to know which Mint packages are GPL licensed? If I remove all mint packages in synaptic is there still Mint code in the leftover base or is it then Ubuntu? Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate all the info.

Best Xeta
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you remove the 'mint' packages, there is some code from the Mint devs left, but nothing contains the Mint branding anymore if the 'mint' packages aren't there. So you don't have to worry anymore if these packages are removed.

Note that you may want to remove the Mint repository from sources.list. But this is up to you, it is allowed to add the Mint repository to a distro that is Mint-based.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

If you were to remove all the mint packages, wouldn't you end up with Bodhi?

Re-namaing the packages would allow all of the mint tools and other goodies, but an E17 DE, right?
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Started work on real packages for the PPA today.
It's taking a long time to make sure everything's correct and built in the correct order.
It's being built for i386 and amd64.
I'll post a link to the PPA when I have enough packages built for Enlightenment to run.
Last edited by merlwiz79 on Tue May 31, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

@zengeek Wouldn't it still be different than Bohdi?.

My goal isn't to compete but to share e17 on several different platforms. With the Mint base people can choose to reinstall the packages- ehh if it's possible to do that. Oh anything is possible in Linux yes? :)

I love e17! I miss KDE 3.5+ less and less and what the hell. I had built a system e17 on ubuntu 10.4 and used it for months before thinking of sharing it. There still aren't enough e17s out there and if this helps bring awareness, cool!

Best,
Xeta
zengeek

Post by zengeek »

I guess it wold be different, and I'm not accusing you of trying to cut in on bodhis share... sorry if it seemed that way. I just didn't want you to duplicate something that's already been done.

I guess the big difference would depend on what version of mint you based it on. Also, default access to the mint repos by default is bound to be a bonus. People could add the tools as they see fit (hopefully). As a noob I had a lot of trouble doing this manually in Bodhi.

There are probably other advantages to a mint base as well, so all in all it's a good idea and I think that EnlightenMINT is just too good of a name to pass up.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

No worries zen, didn't take it that way and it does make me think of what is under Bohdi's hood vs Mint 11.

Tomorrow I'll have the chance to burn the iso so I'll reinstall and see if some Mint stuff goes back in smoothly... or I'll have wine and pizza instead :)

EnlightenMint :))))
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

merlwiz79 wrote:Started work on real packages for the PPA today.
Good news. Thank you.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

merlwiz,

By way of comparison, I recently downloaded PCLinuxOS 2010 E17, and I gotta say that I'm really impressed. It's very classy looking. I think that I like the setup better than Bodhi. Don't know if I'm willing to install it yet, but it's worthy of consideration. If you need any further ideas on how you would setup E17, you might take a look at it.

mikhou
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

I've tried just about every e17 and for some reason- of course I could be wrong, I felt PCLinux e17 felt slower than deb/ubuntu versions IDK. I just had this feeling it was heavier. Anywho....
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Okay, I'm uploading mint11-based e17. Should be up by tomorrow morning- slooowww! If not by tomorrow night :0

Just a little fyi in case you want to build one your self or try out my version. The Live DVD has one glitch (at least on my machine) -a profile error- that can be solved by 1. ignoring it (double clickling the title bar and moving it aside, 2. creating a new user and loging in or 3. Install it to hard drive. Another thing is the latest Remastersys- though it created a custom.iso it failed to install to hard drive with a 'username' error. I installed an earlier version and it worked. Another thing that isn't a glitch but the usual pain thing is you'll have to mount your partitions to get Places to recognize them- using NTFS or manually editing fstab.

If you want to try this yourself using the current svn go here:
http://debe17.com/deb_page/deb_install_page.html
and download 'debe17-svn_1.1.1-0_all.deb'

If you try and install it with Gdebi etc. you'll get an x11 dependency error. Apt-get forcing works but if you first remove all the mint packages then gdebi you get no error and e17 compiles fine. And before any of this install: automake, autopoint and subversion. Compiling engage, Calendar or places you'll need to in terminal type

'svn co http://svn.enlightenment.org/
svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/places'

for example.
or

'svn co http://svn.enlightenment.org/
svn/e/trunk/E-MODULES-EXTRA/engage'

this will download folders where you'll run ./autogen.sh then 'make' 'make install' My only issues installing e17 were the engage/calendar/places modules path. Getting an error like 'enlightenment package not found'
This is a great page for setting the path:
http://forum.enlightenment.org/comments ... ssionID=86

For example:
$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

In our case it would be:
$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/e17/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH

If embryo_cc isn't found- point it to /opt/e17/bin

Also 'Places' won't work unless you install 'Hal'. Well, it'll work, the module will load but the gadget will be empty unless 'hal' is there. Also the hal in the repos has issues with say- inserting a sd card and it appearing in places. I had to use the Debian Squeeze hal and it worked. I'm sure there are a million ways to do one thing :)

After e17 is in you can reinsatll mint packages which puts things back in Control center like 'Update Manager' which worked on my live DVD test. The boot splash also returns icons etc. Oh, and the Synaptic install Flash Square worked like a charm.

I know, tmi. If you have any questions that I probably can't answer let me know :)

Best wishes,
Xeta
Last edited by xetaprime on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

xetaprime wrote:I've tried just about every e17 and for some reason- of course I could be wrong, I felt PCLinux e17 felt slower than deb/ubuntu versions IDK. I just had this feeling it was heavier. Anywho....
I tried a 2011 test release and it was fine in Virtualbox.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I kind of went overboard yesterday and worked on packages and patches until 3AM.
The packages took like 30 min to compile on the PPA.
I did get the PPA close to the packages I have ready for it.
I'll work on it more later tonight.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

PCLinux is RPM based and many people say that they have found RPM based distros to be bigger and slower than deb based distros.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

by jeffreyC on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:50 pm
PCLinux is RPM based and many people say that they have found RPM based distros to be bigger and slower than deb based distros.
I have to agree. But mind you I used PCLinuxOS for years until they went KDE4. It was so darn stable/functional and I never had to type sudo or su (sigh).
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I just uploaded enlightenment and elementary to be built on my PPA.
They aren't even showing and they were uploaded successfully.
Once they get built I'll build the emodules-extra and post the link.
It's 2:42AM so I'm off to bed and will work on it later today.

Once these packages are built you'll be able to run the svn of e17.

Edit:
Darn the e17 package was rejected.

Code: Select all

Rejected:
dpkg-source failed for e17_0.16.999.59859-1.dsc [return: 9]
[dpkg-source output:   dpkg-source: info: extracting e17 in e17-0.16.999.59859
 dpkg-source: info: unpacking e17_0.16.999.59859.orig.tar.gz
 dpkg-source: info: unpacking e17_0.16.999.59859-1.debian.tar.gz
 dpkg-source: info: applying 01_menu_extra_path.patch
 dpkg-source: info: applying 02_upgrade_notice.diff]
mikhou