Linux Mint E17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asymmetros

Re: Linux Mint E17

Post by asymmetros »

E17 is very nice indeed; looks different than other desktops but remains very functional too (unlike with gs or unity).
It also allows you to customize almost everything mainly by using it's Settings Panel. My only objection is the default set of keybindings -for instance, Alt+F4 "sends" you to another screen, instead of closing the window.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I don't think there will be an E17 version of Linux Mint since clem stopped the Xfce release based on Xubuntu.
Well Debian only packages the e17 and the libraries needed for it,
Some of the libraries aren't packed.
I was trying to package the rest when I got stuck at elementary.
Then today I tried booting my laptop with all my work and it won't get past grub.
It also won't load any live CD or DVD either.
The memtest works from grub and no memory problems.
Windows get's to the point of loading the disks.sys and then crashes.
Linux gets to the Kernel loading the driver for the drives then it locks up.
I guess my motherboard is broken. :?
Maybe something came loose or something.
I'll tear it apart and have a look but I think it's done for. :(

I was hoping to compile some of the other modules and use them since some work better.
Also every time I open thunar and close it e17 tells me that it couldn't open thunar.
This happens with other apps too even though it opened fine.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

I guess my motherboard is broken.
Maybe something came loose or something.
I'll tear it apart and have a look but I think it's done for
Sorry to hear that :(
Well Debian only packages the e17 and the libraries needed for it,
Some of the libraries aren't packed.
Sadly true. So, i am returning to http://xsm.alphagemini.org/E17/repository/ mentioned before in this topic.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I just made packages out of the svn for Ubuntu.
I have even made some into packages that aren't in the repos.
I'm running e17 on Xubuntu 11.04 with only one problem which cause xpm icons not to load.
I wonder if I could make an e17-svn PPA.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Any one try Bodhi Linux?
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

I did. Great distro. I wish, the mint team did this job instead of working on the fluxbox edition.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I did, had Bodhi 1.0.0 on the netbook for 2 months and in a VM until now. I like to be able to chose some of the settings/themes in the beginning (just like the Crunchbang Script) and it had a small footprint in the HDD, was fast and the E17 was pleasant on the eyes.

There is no doubt that a Mint E17 edition would be very nice but I don't think we need to sacrifice Fluxbox for that.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

nunol wrote:There is no doubt that a Mint E17 edition would be very nice but I don't think we need to sacrifice Fluxbox for that.
Why not? Fluxbox has been updated lately for the first time after years. The enlightenment desktop ist under current development. Both have some general common look&feel, both have a pretty equal ram footprint.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I don't mind if Mint does a E17 edition now and the Fluxbox edition latter, Mint 9 is a Long Term Support edtition. I just thing there is no need to kill the Fluxbox edition, or at least just make one Debian based Mint Fluxbox edition first.
lessie

Post by lessie »

I'd love to see a linux mint e17 edition, would be more useful than fluxbox :(
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

lessie wrote:I'd love to see a linux mint e17 edition, would be more useful than fluxbox :(
I'm thinking I'll create a PPA of the e17 svn.
Then you could just use it to install on the Main release.
You could then use one of the backgrounds installed with Linux Mint 11.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

nunol wrote:I did, had Bodhi 1.0.0 on the netbook for 2 months and in a VM until now. I like to be able to chose some of the settings/themes in the beginning (just like the Crunchbang Script) and it had a small footprint in the HDD, was fast and the E17 was pleasant on the eyes.
Yea I liked that too but no idea how it was done.
Also they created custom profiles and no idea how they did that either.
They don't have any sources for download so I can't create my own based of of what they did.
I wish it was easier to create profiles.
I tried to just use custom ones made after install but it doesn't work as well.
Would be nice to have a profile compiled from sources.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

There is a new version of Bodhi linux out, it's an update: http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... eased.html

Going to check that out on the weekend.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

nunol wrote:There is a new version of Bodhi linux out, it's an update: http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... eased.html

Going to check that out on the weekend.
That is on Lucid.
This is on Natty.
I posted on the Ubuntu forums here.
Some seems interested.
I think I'll work on it this weekend.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Howdy all. Not sure this has already been done but I've put together a Mint 11 e17 that should be up this coming week- probably Wed or Thursday June 1st or 2nd uploading takes a lifetime on Sourceforge. I've got an e17 deb squeeze and ub 10.4 32 or 64 I call PrimeE17 or Pe17. I'll do the same for mint 11.

http://www.primee17.sourceforge.net

I just need to get some blank dvds for testing :0 can't do that till th first.

Best,
Xeta
Last edited by xetaprime on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

xetaprime wrote:Howdy all. Not sure this has already been done but I've put together a Mint 11 e17 that should be up this coming week- probably Wed or Thursday June 1st or 2nd uploading takes a lifetime on Sourceforge. I've got e17 deb squeeze and ub 10.4 right now for 32 or 64. I'll do the same for mint 11.
I hope you rebrand it as you aren't suppose to use the Linux Mint name on anything that's not approved by clem.
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Does "Not supposed to" mean I can't? I actually just want to share Mint 11 with e17 up and running. Wiki says Mint is GPL except for proprietary drivers and such. I think it did mention the Kernel. I couldn't find info on the main website about altering or distributing. Do you have a link you could share about rules? I have written for clarification.

Best wishes,
Xeta
xetaprime

Post by xetaprime »

Okay, I found a good page

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=28717&f=17

Sounds like a challenge and I'm intrigued. God knows I love to fiddle.
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

@merlwiz79: What favor of Mint do you work on? The Xfce edition? The E17 thingy? I'm curious.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

merlwiz, feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have observed in the past, merlwiz worked primarily on the XFCE edition up until LMDE XFCE. Clem actually rolled that one. I believe that merlwiz had some family issues going on with his wife's health and wasn't able to work on LMDE XFCE so Clem picked up the baton. I played with the XFCE CEs in the past and liked them so if anybody could produce a solid E17 edition, I'm sure that merlwiz would do a fine job. I don't know if the Mint Devs even want an E17 edition with Mint's name on it so it's anybody's guess as to how far this could go.

mikhou

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”