Which Edition?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
blito

Which Edition?

Post by blito »

Hi Guys
Just a simple question really - Which edition do you prefer? and why?
I`m relatively new to this linux thing - settled on mint8 after a little experimentation but i`m not totally happy with the layout of the mint gnome desktop. Trying xfce right now which i prefer (i think - its too early to say for sure) but i`m keen to know what everyone else thinks about their mint setups.
BTW = i much prefer the look of Ubuntu and Fedora gnomes with their top-of-screen menus but both those distros had issues for me (hdd issues in ubuntu, screen res in fedora).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Which Edition?

Post by JasonLG »

My favorite is the standard Gnome edition of Mint 9 with the LXDE edition a close second. You can very easily configure the panels in the gnome edition to be the more traditional 2 panel setup.
blito

Post by blito »

ah. yes.. thanks for that :)
now using gnome with custom panel.. much better :)
axel668

Post by axel668 »

Using Mint9 LXDE edition, it's fast, stable, and lean.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I am very happy with the main Gnome edition (x64). I tried KDE a long time ago, but had issues with KDE + Compiz. Maybe its time to see again if things with KDE have improved.
blito wrote:i much prefer the look of Ubuntu and Fedora gnomes with their top-of-screen menus
I guess Windows refugees will prefer the menu on the bottom. People who prefer it on the top are ususally experienced with Linux enough to change that setting.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I prefer the Mint 9 gnome edition. It just "feels" right to me. I tried the Mint 9 KDE RC and didn't care for it. It may just be that I am used to the gnome look and feel, especially the Mint Menu. I personally like the 3 panel menu so I can see everything at once. The only problem I am having with Mint 9 now is that I am bored. It is set up just the way I like it, and I am running out of things to noodle with. It just runs too well :D
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

KDE, no question. Looks, feels and operates great. You have to upgrade to at least KDE 4.4.2 though because previous 4 versions stank. You'll probably want to wait for the new M9 version to be fully released since it will have 4.4.5 (or maybe even higher by the time of release). I'm currently running M8 KDE with 4.4.2 installed. People say a benefit of KDE is it looks and feels like Windows, but I think it looks and feels more like a Mac, which I always thought looked and ran better.

I tried Gnome, Xfce, and LXDE and even though they are all great DEs in their own right, pretty soon you'll start to realize that they are all one-in-the-same in terms of looks and feel. That's why I think a lot of people don't prefer KDE, because all they others are basically the same and KDE really sets itself apart, so there is more of a learning curve.

Now everyone will say in final that you'll have to find the DE that fits both your computer's requirements and your needs. But as everyone really knows, DEs are like the sex you are attracted to, people tend to go for the better looking ones. ;)
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

[quote="blito"]Hi Guys
Just a simple question really - Which edition do you prefer? and why?
I`m relatively new to this linux thing - settled on mint8 after a little experimentation but i`m not totally happy with the layout of the mint gnome desktop. Trying xfce right now which i prefer (i think - its too early to say for sure) but i`m keen to know what everyone else thinks about their mint setups.
BTW = i much prefer the look of Ubuntu and Fedora gnomes with their top-of-screen menus but both those distros had issues for me (hdd issues in ubuntu, screen res in fedora).[/quote

The numbers below are from the Mint Community site and they speak for themselves. However I suggest you try all the options and see what you like best.

1. Main Edition (1279 people) (Gnome)
2. x64 Edition (486 people)
3. KDE Edition (118 people)
4. Universal Edition (68 people)
5. Xfce Edition (48 people)
6. LXDE Edition (29 people)
7. Fluxbox Edition (19 people)
8. Testing (debian) (2 people)

In my case I usually use Gnome when possible because it just gets the job done without getting in the way and its been stable for a longtime. However if I want eye candy to bug my Windows friends with Compiz it a quick and easy configuration change and I get all the goodies I want.
I am not saying that KDE sucks or anything. I used to use it and it was OK but when it hit a rough patch of releases I just wandered away. My current second choice for a Mint desktop is LXDE. It too is a "not in the way" DE that runs real well on everything I have tried it on. Good Luck
baffle-boy

Post by baffle-boy »

i use KDE for the following reasons:

1: i came from windows, and it looks more similar in my opinion.
2: it simply looks the best by far... KDE makes everyhting on my screen sexy! :D
3: i LOVE KDE's programs, it comes with many of my favorite programs, and they don't look sort of out of place like they would if in a GNOME system

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”