ADSL

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pariolly

ADSL

Post by pariolly »

Will I be able to connect the ADSL wireles router if im usin Virgin Broadband? Hey sorry everyone, maybe I am little stupid.I just divorced with my husband and I'm getting my own life here.I want to get a wireless internet at home, just were looking in ebay and found that ADSL wireless router, I'm a customer of Virgin Media and I'm just wondering will I be able to connect and how do I connect it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: ADSL

Post by JasonLG »

pariolly wrote:Will I be able to connect the ADSL wireles router if im usin Virgin Broadband? Hey sorry everyone, maybe I am little stupid.I just divorced with my husband and I'm getting my own life here.I want to get a wireless internet at home, just were looking in ebay and found that ADSL wireless router, I'm a customer of Virgin Media and I'm just wondering will I be able to connect and how do I connect it?
You're probably better off using hardware provided by your ISP in your case as they will not give you much by way of tech support for an off the shelf router. And they more than likely will connect it for you or at least walk you through the process if you use their hardware.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

As mentioned it is not a simple matter of buying just any router, however if you have some of the paperwork that came with your computer you should be able to make an informed decision. You need to know which kind of wifi board that is installed and whether it uses B or G routing. You may need to install the driver for your wifi also. Do a search concerning router installation and wireless drivers on this Forum to see how other people have handled it. Look for [Solved] topics.
Erinsfan

Post by Erinsfan »

pariolly,

The answer is it depends. Virgin offer cable and ADSL broadband. The easy way to check it to see what the modem is plugged into. If it is something that looks like a phone socket, it is ADSL. Cable normally uses a thicker round cable.

Now, if you buy a router, a cable one is used for cable and ADSL one for ADSL, they cannot be swapped around. You need to check because not all eBay people say which is which!

If you search Google for Hot UK Deals, they listed a couple of cable wireless routers for ~£20 recently. Else, PM me and I'll send you a link to some. There was a Netgear one with a wireless USB dongle -- all you need to connect to Virgin wirelessly.

Hope this helps to start. Else, repost or PM me.

Erin
jesica

Post by jesica »

I reckon it would

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”