Which Edition for very OLD hardware?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Which Edition for very OLD hardware?

Fluxbox
26%
Xfce
15%
LXDE
59%

Total votes: 34

rhY

Re: Which Edition for very OLD hardware?

Post by rhY »

foonil wrote:I'm giving my vote for Fluxbox because it seems to use less ram:

(Taken from a finnish Linux Mint info site: http://linuxmint-fi.info/category/mint- ... sennukset/)

All 3 systems tested with the same hardware (computer 384MB RAM).

RAM usage while idle:

* Fluxbox: 131MB
* LXDE: 141MB
* Xfce: 154MB

Max RAM usage during installation:

* Fluxbox: 235MB
* LXDE: 246MB
* Xfce: 262MB

Boot time from GRUB to login page:

* Fluxbox: 31.16 sekuntia
* LXDE: 26.79 sekuntia
* Xfce: 26.46 sekuntia

Boot time from login page to desktop:

* Fluxbox: 3.32 sekuntia
* LXDE: 3.77 sekuntia
* Xfce: 9.63 sekuntia
That is awesome info! Guess I'll be going with LXDE for most of my installations then!
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

You might want to consider lmde too
Teucca

Post by Teucca »

rhY wrote:
foonil wrote:I'm giving my vote for Fluxbox because it seems to use less ram:

(Taken from a finnish Linux Mint info site: http://linuxmint-fi.info/category/mint- ... sennukset/)

All 3 systems tested with the same hardware (computer 384MB RAM).

RAM usage while idle:

* Fluxbox: 131MB
* LXDE: 141MB
* Xfce: 154MB

Max RAM usage during installation:

* Fluxbox: 235MB
* LXDE: 246MB
* Xfce: 262MB

Boot time from GRUB to login page:

* Fluxbox: 31.16 sekuntia
* LXDE: 26.79 sekuntia
* Xfce: 26.46 sekuntia

Boot time from login page to desktop:

* Fluxbox: 3.32 sekuntia
* LXDE: 3.77 sekuntia
* Xfce: 9.63 sekuntia
That is awesome info! Guess I'll be going with LXDE for most of my installations then!
:D Use the translat! http://linuxmint-fi.info/kevyt-mint/
Or look at Help Site How To Help You http://helpsite.org/linux-for-old-computers/
Last edited by Teucca on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasProud

Post by TexasProud »

That's not much of an "old hardware" computer! LOL!! But anyway, I'd like to add that my very very favorite Mint is Mint 7. It is very reliable, fast, has all the bells and whistles (even drivers for pc wireless usb dongles) AND it's very user friendly on a computer such as you mentioned. I have gone to other Mints and other Windows operating systems and always come back to Mint 7. When I do computers for other people, they love the Mint 7 as well. The thing I really like is the ease with which other programs can be added to Mint 7, even if you have to use Terminal. One thing I'd really like to see, and hope the Mint folks will do, is give us a Mint 7 complete updates download on cd or dvd when 7 is no longer supported. New installations really really will need that. Maybe there's a way for me to download those updates now and I just don't know about it. Dunno. If anyone does know I'd appreciate the info. As usual, I do so appreciate the genius efforts that created Linux Mint!! Thanks!
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

I really don't understand why is it so hard to keep all the good things of one distro when you create a new one. Distros should be made like Debian, without the need of having to re-install your system every once in a while, keeping the best like being blazing fast and light and don't do blacklisting of stuff, so it supports all hardware, even oldest ones, that would make it an ultimate distro.

A blatant example of going from best to worst is Firefox. Up until version 2 it was a solid build, going from version 2+ it's getting worse with every release, seriously, Firefox is getting the reputation of the lamest browser ever, not even a quad-core makes it run faster since it's such a resource eater.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Also, I'd appreciate if there was an XFCE build of Mint 10, since this old computer barely manages to run Gnome under less than 20% CPU usage. Quite exhausting.

It's an older Celeron D 3.06 GHz CPU with 2 GB of RAM and if I run Firefox e.g. it's up to 100% CPU usage, watching a movie now and CPU usage is around 40%, too much I'd say when considering people say Linux is a light OS.
Ikem

Post by Ikem »

I have a similar box and I use Linux Mint LXDE.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”