LXDE or GNOME+OPENBOX?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

What DE for the MiniCD edition?

Gnome+Openbox
20%
LXDE with Metacity
22%
LXDE+*box window manager
59%

Total votes: 200

kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LXDE or GNOME+OPENBOX?

Post by kneekoo »

McLovin, congratulations for your baby! :) I hope we'll see you back soon, hopefully not exhausted. :P

I did manage to install LXDE in my Mint but I can't compare my work to the Mint's team so I'll wait for the official release. Thank you for your reply. Maybe someone will try to contact him and if he cannot get back during the next 2-3 months at least we should know and maybe someone else in the team will continue McLovin's work. As far as I understand from his posts, the big part has been done and it only needs testing. If that's the case, I hope we'll see it soon online. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

As far as I understand from his posts, the big part has been done and it only needs testing.
There has been no iso submitted for testing yet. Hopefully McLovin will give us an update on how things are going.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

This is it: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=22891
3-17-09
Ok, I have sent a very early, and very rough iso to Clem to take a look at, and see what he think, and says. I am still having the issues with the installer not installing Grub correctly, but the installer itself is working fine for installing the iso.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

That is from Fri Mar 06, 2009. McLovin has to test his proposed release against the quality spreadsheet, then upload it. Next, I put the release through all of the tests and either approve or reject the release. If I approve the release, Clem runs it through all of the quality tests and makes the final decision weather or not to release to the public. This is the minimum amount of testing a release can go through, often other team members will test the release too. Anything bearing the Mint name must go through this process to be released to ensure you receive the highest quality release possible. The first release is always a Release Candidate so the community has an opportunity to test the release for bugs and provide feedback on the release. Clem has set up a very solid way of ensuring quality in our releases. Anything bearing the Mint name goes through this process.
kneekoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kneekoo »

Thank you for explaining the process. But my point was Clem seems to have that early ISO. Maybe he will share it with you and see how much work it still needs. But that after KDE & XFCE etidions, I guess. Thanks again.
gnu2nix

Post by gnu2nix »

LXDE is ideal, but hard to configure. It is very fast and light on resources... I would think it required for a "light" cd... especially if you want to allow older hardware to be used.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

gnu2nix wrote:but hard to configure.
Not really. It's a combination of graphical tools and text file editing. It seems hard initially, but once you figure out where everything is at it's probably one of the easier desktop environments to set up. There are some software limitations with the current version of PCManFM, but nothing that isn't easily worked around.
brim4brim

Post by brim4brim »

Why not Enlightenment? It might sacrifice some ease of use with adding in extra gadgets etc.. though if in the repositories wouldn't be much hassle for users to install them.

Enlightenment on my system is using 30MB and comes with a file manager and everything out of the box and can mount etc... and has full laptop/netbook support.

I used to use some of the other light WM/DE but much prefer Enlightenment after installing it from the easy_17.sh script. Just installing anything extra usually requires compiling from source with missing dependencies in Mint so a version would be nice :)
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I do not know if Gnome3 will work with Openbox, they are working on integrating everything in Gnome so tightly now.
The plan is to be the GnomeOS.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”