Is LM Gnome losing favouritism from Users for Zorin OS ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is LM Gnome losing favouritism from Users for Zorin OS ?

Post by ibm450 »

Jay514 wrote:You do have a good point there Helterskelter. I guess if we can get all the MS fans to check out any Linux Distro & show the distros to others , we can make more Linux Converts :mrgreen:
+1

Pardus 2011 is an excellent distro to show off to MS fans - now saying that, i hope LM10 KDE is just as good :mrgreen:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

If anybody even makes the comment that it looks like Windows in ANY way, well...that is enough for me to not give it a second's thought. I HATE all things Windows. Awful, just awful os in my opinion. :wink:
BManLazarus

Post by BManLazarus »

Well, I haven't tried Zorin OS yet (or seen any pictures of it yet), but based on what others have said, the reason this OS is getting the attention of Windows users is simply because the OS is set out to be just like Windows (that is, the UI).

In relation to the topic subject, I don't think LM Gnome is losing favoritism from users for Zorin OS, because from what I have seen, a lot of users here seem interested in Linux and wanted something different from Windows, and if that's the case, then they wouldn't be interested in using Zorin OS which seems 'emulate' Windows based on other people's posts. Obviously, I made a generalization about everyone here but if it is 'just another distro' as some seem to put it as, then people would just lose interest in it and go back to whatever they were normally using, including Windows users trying Zorin OS.

Once I try out Zorin OS (if I remember to), I could probably come back and have something better or worthwhile to say about it, otherwise, this is all I could say.
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

Did not install it. Not convincing. The video shows hundreds of crashes. Makes a very bad impression. The desktop looks very old, like KDE3. I don't get why he says, the taskbar looks like Windows7. I does not. The only thing looking like windows7 is the start menu. This seems to be the main "selling point": the start menu. Obviously that's why 70% of the video clip is only showing the start menu and nothing else; because it's "oh so cool and awesome" (his words). It is not, sorry... I'd rather use default Ubuntu (besides Mint) before using this not so awesome Ubuntu fork. My 2 cents.
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

doubt it, I've never even heard of zorin os.
SunWukong

Post by SunWukong »

bwat47 wrote:doubt it, I've never even heard of zorin os.
I hadn't heard of Zorin OS until this thread either.

I don't really see too much of the Windows resemblance. In fact, I actually took a double-take when I saw the gallery pictures, because I thought they were running KDE 3.x instead of Gnome. I can't really make any judgement calls about it beyond its looks, but I think I'm going to stick with Mint 10 for the time being.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I've been running the previous version (zorin 4...zorin 5 based on ubuntu 11.04 comes out by months end just like mint)...
Just checking it out on live dvd for about 2 days now...actually, it is quite nice...kind of like mint but with more customizations like compiz running by default, and various little "touches" added with effects and the like...it comes with all multimedia codecs installed (like mint) just one panel on bottom...doesn't really look like windows at all (except perhaps for the look of the lower panel and menu).

However, the menu is the GnoMenu and had many options to the look of it...instead of Windows 7 menu look, you can change it to kde kick off style, lancelot menu, and many different "looks"..I even made the lower panel a bit smaller in height by right clicking on it and going to "properties"...

It comes with Google Chrome as the default browser with options for Firefox, Opera, Midori, etc...
And Evolution is the default mail client...very smooth and snappy in performance which i would say is better then the "stock ubuntu" has lots of performance "tweaks" it would seem..Runs very well and this is on a live session not even installed!

Has an excellent control center that is quite similar to mint's where everything can be accessed from...Uses the Ubuntu Software Center of course...And like Mint..they will NOT be going the Unity route! So again, like Mint...it's a MUCH BETTER UBUNTU.... :lol:

Too bad it isn't more well known...it really is an excellent ubuntu spin off...just doesn't have the name recognition and huge community of Linux Mint....And if you like the "more eye candy" of kde but prefer the simplicity and extra reliability of gnome, zorin really fits the profile for sure...
The default layout, appearance style and customizations give it an excellent look and feel that i find very appealing...

I think they just give it that windows 7 menu and panel look to make it more comfortable to newcomers from windows...but as i said, easy to change and actually, otherwise is really a very linux looking product (not windows at all)... :)

I'm definitely going to check out zorin 5 when it comes out...may even install it...
surutshah

Post by surutshah »

Alright, so I'm releasing it for free to everyone.

Your choice if you want to install it or not,
Don't come here and flame and saying your opinions about it.

I donated 10 Euro for this, be glad that i am a kind soul.
Not that 10 Euro is much though.

Download: http://distro.ibiblio.org/zorin/5/premium/

Have fun with it.
Haters gonna hate.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

I had never heard of Zorin OS until this thread, I've since checked out the site, a YouTube comparison video between it and Windows 7, and a YouTube review of Zorin OS 5 Core. I'm very impressed. The Windows style won't appeal to many Linux users, but as a gateway it looks fantastic. It's potentially the first distro that I could feel confident in showing my folks and having them take an interest, in XP layout. For that alone it's worth downloading to check out, maybe even dual boot the netbook with it as a demo OS.

I have tried to introduce my parents to Linux on various occasions as they see my desktop of whatever I was using at the time. They could see some of the benefits but even XFCE was too alien for them to be comfy. My mum doesn't see that opening Outlook Express from the start menu as valid, she has to open IE, then click the mail icon, which does the exact same thing. I've showed her, I've explained to her but to no avail. Some people are very deeply engrained creatures of habit, you're never going to have a hope of getting them onto Linux without baby steps.

Maybe it's the choice of theme, but I can't tell by the videos or screenshots if it's Gnome or KDE. The style says KDE, the panel says KDE, the icons say KDE, but all of the default apps mentioned like Gwibber, Evolution, Gedit etc all say Gnome. It looks to have the Elementary modified Nautilus which I love. From that perspective it's unusual, certainly unusual enough to download and try. I like the theme switching idea, to quickly flip the layout to mimic various editions of Windows, and OSX as well as Gnome, which looks like a Mint style Gnome layout, not the traditional two panel layout that most Gnome distros have.

If it is a hybrid of Gnome and KDE, then it won't be nearly as efficient with resources as something from either side of the fence. It will need libs running from both toolkits, as well as space to install, still even with that it'd really take some effort to come close to a Vista install footprint so that's something.

It does seem to have value as a gateway to ease people out of their Windows comfort zone, by keeping some things familiar. You'd hope that most of those who don't revert back to Windows would get comfy in Zorin OS, then gradually explore the wider Linux world and try some native Linux UI's. Some obviously won't but even then, they're still Linux users, which means one less potential recruit to a botnet to spam the rest of us with.

Would we prefer to get new Linux users who embrace Linux fully from day one? Of course, but for some that's never gonna happen. For some Linux is just too alien to grasp, for that Zorin OS seems to be a solution. Like any other Linux distro, it's built for a purpose. There are 1,000's of distros and choices for all.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

It's not cool to be paying for something like that, then releasing it free. The devs on FOSS projects are not huge companies, they don't infest their stuff with consumer hostile tech, product keys, limits on usage restrictions etc. They do deserve to be paid for the work they do. If everyone who wants the premium convenience but doesn't pay for it, what message does it send? $10 is hardly a dent on a Windows license. Without some form of income distros can't pay their costs, let alone invest.

From the video I saw, apparently the premium enhancements are available in the free version too, just not pre-installed. I have yet to figure out what the premium stuff is, so I'm only going on what I can figure out from the little I've seen.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

ThistleWeb...although i haven't actually installed it, i have played with both Zorin 4 (previous version) and the new Zorin 5 since it was released...It's very nice... actually quite similar to linux mint in that it comes ready to use out of the box and has a lot of enhancements built in that is done by the developers of this ubuntu based distro...

They do lots of tweaks on ubuntu and add such things as compiz effects already activated, and all codecs pre-installed (with the exception of the libdvdcss2 codec for encrypted dvds which one can add themselves from the medibuntu website using a deb file)...

Though it may look like KDE in many ways, it is not KDE at all...pure gnome actually...it's just that they have made certain enhancements that give it that KDE or Windows type look...Actually, other then the windows style menu (which by the way can be changed to about 9 or 10 different styles as it is simply a GNO MENU that they use)...it is really an enhanced ubuntu (as mint is also)...

The free version comes with several appearance changes...you can make it look like windows 7 (default) or XP or Classic Gnome Style with the panels on top and bottom...
The paid (donation version) adds things like the ability to make it look like Mac Osx style and a few others (6 in all i think)....

Next to Mint, it is one of my favorite, easy to use and out of the box distros....it's only drawback is that it's COMMUNITY (forum) is not very active and has very little participation as compared to mint...I don't why as it is very nice actually and is being used by many...

I think the main reason that they use the windows 7 style menu as default is to help windows transitioners feel more comfortable with it...
And like Mint, it is very attractive looking... :D However that can be EASILY CHANGED...though i think it doesn't look bad...reminds me of the kde kicker menu somewhat... :wink:
GeneJ

Post by GeneJ »

I do volunteer work for a not-for-profit that gets refurbished computers into the hands of care-givers for the elderly. Most of these folks have never been in front of a computer before, so Mint and Zorin are perfect. I use Zorin for folks who have at least some knowledge of Windows (or children/grandchildren who do) and Mint for the complete novice or those with learning disabilities. I currently have at least two dozen comps running Ubuntu based distros.

I have one mother with learning disabilities that has a daughter with autism. The daughter kept breaking XP to the point of me having to repeatedly reinstall. Since installing Mint, with the daughter having a limited account, I have not had to visit for repairs at all.

Occasionally, family members complain about Mint or Zorin (their iPod won't work on gramma's comp), but when I explain anti-virus software, anti-spyware, and other necessary installs to run Windows to the user, they rarely ask for an OS change.
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

I tried out Zorin OS 5 a while back and quite liked it. In fact, that's what I'm using now. I think for a lot of Windows users who are considering defecting to Linux, this would be the way to do it, especially with the 'XP' desktop theme. I've noticed that no one's mentioned that one can set up their desktop to the standard GNOME layout, so if a user who's defected from Windows gets tired of their starting theme and feels a little braver, they can check out the GNOME layout.

I went to Zorin because of the inclusion of software and tweaks to run Windows programs (I still have a bunch of games that I've missed playing). However, even with the tweaks, I still couldn't figure out how to work Wine and PlayOnLinux so I'm gonna do a dual-boot XP/Mint set-up; I have no more reason to stay with Zorin. That said, my experience with it has largely been positive, so for anyone I know who gets sick of the bull$h!t from Windows and wants to try Linux out, I will recommend Zorin wholeheartedly. It's familiar enough to not be intimidating, just about everything works out of the box, it's got enough cool eye-candy out of the box to dazzle newcomers, and best of all, it comes without Windows' myriad problems.

I will say that, overall, my most positive Linux experience has been with Mint, which is why I'm going back. Now, if I can only install Debian without fscking it up, then I'd be all set.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I know exactly what you mean...i have never actually installed Zorin 5 but have run it live many times and am very impressed with it...i think that next to Mint it's my second favorite good looking and ready to use out of the box, linux distro... :)

Yet...i seem to want to stay with Mint and also the community here is so much larger....that is the one thing Zorin doesn't have...a large and active community forum....
Otherwise, it's a terrific distro!

Mint wise i also understand what you are saying about the debian version of mint....i use to run LMDE and had problems with breakage and got tired of constant updates on a daily basis...

Even checking out the re-spin i can see it still has a lot of rough edges, and still does not have any newbie friendly install options (auto install)...so my conclusion has been that it's really more for the very technically oriented in the mint community and those that do not mind the challenge of having to fix things and spend a lot of time working on it...

I prefer the smooth, polished and very reliable ubuntu based Linux Mint main edition and hope Clem will keep on doing it...
I'm not sure if LMDE will ever be as polished, newbie friendly and as reliable as mint main edition...at the very least, it will probably take a LONG TIME to reach that point...I do commend him for his hard work on it though :wink:

But for newbies...Zorin is really great...and if the ubuntu based mint went away then i would switch to Zorin for sure...
Evil-K

Post by Evil-K »

craig10x wrote:I know exactly what you mean...i have never actually installed Zorin 5 but have run it live many times and am very impressed with it...i think that next to Mint it's my second favorite good looking and ready to use out of the box, linux distro... :)

Yet...i seem to want to stay with Mint and also the community here is so much larger....that is the one thing Zorin doesn't have...a large and active community forum....
Otherwise, it's a terrific distro!
Agreed. That's really the source of the positive experience I mentioned, that and Linux Mint is also extremely familiar so I was pretty much able to dive right in and even tweak it to my liking.
craig10x wrote:Mint wise i also understand what you are saying about the debian version of mint....i use to run LMDE and had problems with breakage and got tired of constant updates on a daily basis...

Even checking out the re-spin i can see it still has a lot of rough edges, and still does not have any newbie friendly install options (auto install)...so my conclusion has been that it's really more for the very technically oriented in the mint community and those that do not mind the challenge of having to fix things and spend a lot of time working on it...

I prefer the smooth, polished and very reliable ubuntu based Linux Mint main edition and hope Clem will keep on doing it...
Agreed completely. I'm not giving up on Debian, because it IS something I want to learn. I've gone as far as to try installing it on VirtualBox that way I can experiment without screwing up my hard drive, but so far no dice. I have this multimedia distro called AV Linux that is PERFECT for me as a musician who wants to use Linux for recording, but it's no good to me if I can't even install the bloody thing.

Plus the idea of only having to install the OS once is very appealing to me, which is why I want to move to a rolling distro.
craig10x wrote:I'm not sure if LMDE will ever be as polished, newbie friendly and as reliable as mint main edition...at the very least, it will probably take a LONG TIME to reach that point...I do commend him for his hard work on it though :wink:
Honestly, if anyone can do it, it's Clem (and other Mint contributors). I think Clem's efforts with Mint have helped to bring Linux a long way to being "ready for the masses", and for making it a good all-around "works out of the box" experience.
craig10x wrote:But for newbies...Zorin is really great...and if the ubuntu based mint went away then i would switch to Zorin for sure...
I might end up going to Kubuntu or Xubuntu myself (two other fine distros), but I'll keep copies of Zorin on hand for friends who are interested in switching ;).
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I love Kubuntu and it's a great alternative to ubuntu now (since they went unity which i don't care for much)....but i think i am more of a gnome guy :lol:
As long as the gnome in question is pretty and polished like mint and zorin :wink:

I tell you...i hope Clem can make LMDE as stable and polished as mint main because like you, the aspect that i like about the rolling distro is not having to re-install anymore...every time a new edition of Mint comes out i want to change to it...it would be nice to have it come to me instead :lol:

But until then, i think i will be staying with mint main edition...though i will check out re-spin isos as Clem progresses on the LMDE project...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”