Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby tjdfalcon on Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:36 pm

I suppose it is possible that Canonical could eventually become bankrupt, though work on the code would most likely continue from the community.
Representatives from Canonical have stated that they are completely fine with distributions based of theirs. That is the wonderful nature of open-source.
Mint's new Debian based projects do show some independence from Canonical. Though Clem has stated that there will always be a Main edition based off of Ubuntu.
Good questions.
tjdfalcon
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:04 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby Mereyub on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:23 am

Yes your right the more i learn about Open Source the more i can see the value of it - Its odd to me that so many people can get together and make things like this happen - I have a hard time getting people together to even go out for a movie even if its free. (Won some Tickets once)

I would like to know more if someone don't mind

1. I see that some people donate to help development - If Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu - What are the folks at Linux Mint Devolving that is different from
Ubunut (Canonical) :?:

2. If Distros like Linux Mint are based on Ubuntu - what part of these Distros are different - What makes them different from each other :?:

3. If Linux has a Unix Like core or its Kernel what part has been devolved and connected to the core to make it known as Ubuntu - and then What parts are developed or added to what makes it ubuntu - to make it Linux Mint :?:

4. Could some one add something to Linux Mint and then would that become a different Distro that's based on Linux Mint - Thats Based on Ubuntu - What makes a Distro a root or a core for other Distros like Liux Mint to be based on :?:
Mereyub
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:47 am

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby AlbertP on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:36 am

1. LM add proprietary codecs, another menu, another updater, another theme and some other things.

2. Other choices of software that is included: the proprietary codecs that Mint adds, for example. Unity/Gnome Shell/Gnome Panel is also a good example of different choices of distros.

3. I don't exactly understand what you mean - English is my 2nd language.

4. You are allowed to make a new distro based on Mint or Ubuntu - as long as you do not call it Mint if it's not an official edition of Mint like the Mint KDE.
Registered Linux User #528502
Image
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6517
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby Mereyub on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:45 am

AlbertP wrote:1. LM add proprietary codecs, another menu, another updater, another theme and some other things.

2. Other choices of software that is included: the proprietary codecs that Mint adds, for example. Unity/Gnome Shell/Gnome Panel is also a good example of different choices of distros.

3. I don't exactly understand what you mean - English is my 2nd language.

4. You are allowed to make a new distro based on Mint or Ubuntu - as long as you do not call it Mint if it's not an official edition of Mint like the Mint KDE.


Thanks for your Reply it is a great help to me, although i do hope someone answers Number 3.
I would like to add Is there a large Hardware list somewhere i found a few poking around in different places is there a super big one that Linux Developers Have put together and Keep up to date? :?:
Mereyub
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:47 am

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby AlbertP on Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:55 am

No, there is no list maintained by Linux developers. There are many lists from Linux users, or if you want to know about a specific device, just ask it here before you buy it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Image
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16
 
Posts: 6517
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby ginjabunny on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Mereyub, I think this may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux, it explains a lot about how Linux came about, originally developed by Linus Torvalds who is still working on the kernel development. Because it is free and open source and governed but the license known as the GPL (GNU General Public License) anyone can take source code and change it to their needs as long as it also conforms to the license, most (not all) of the programs written to run on Linux are also released under the GPL, this is why Linux has become so diverse as everyone can make existing code better or change it for their needs.

Hope this helps :)

BTW I have just been playing with the live USB version of Gnome v3 and am quite impressed, it's quite slick and very different but it seems less flexible than V2 as far as I can see, but this is Gnome's own version, I can't wait to see what the distributions do with it, do they release it unchanged or will it be heavily customised, we shall see, it will be interesting.

GB
User avatar
ginjabunny
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: West London, UK

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby Mereyub on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:14 pm

ginjabunny wrote:Mereyub, I think this may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux, it explains a lot about how Linux came about, originally developed by Linus Torvalds who is still working on the kernel development. Because it is free and open source and governed but the license known as the GPL (GNU General Public License) anyone can take source code and change it to their needs as long as it also conforms to the license, most (not all) of the programs written to run on Linux are also released under the GPL, this is why Linux has become so diverse as everyone can make existing code better or change it for their needs.

Hope this helps :)

BTW I have just been playing with the live USB version of Gnome v3 and am quite impressed, it's quite slick and very different but it seems less flexible than V2 as far as I can see, but this is Gnome's own version, I can't wait to see what the distributions do with it, do they release it unchanged or will it be heavily customised, we shall see, it will be interesting.

GB

Hey There thanks for the link i will study it tonight - I also found a movie about Linux Free Os or something like that wait here's the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A ... d&v=glance Okay its called Revolution Os - So i will read and watch this tonight

Question 1: Is there a list of Software for Linux Mint that shows its Windows equal - Such as Gimp is to Linux as Photoshop is to Windows?
Mereyub
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:47 am

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby jeffreyC on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Get Dropbox and an extra 250 mb http://db.tt/wAizqw0
jeffreyC
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby bobwombat on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 am

I think Unity needs OpenGL to run. Most ATI cards aren't supported on Linux. They have to be emulated and that means OpenGL doesn't work in those cases. A weird choice from their part, if you ask me.


From what I understand, the default 3D version of Unity requires OpenGL, but failing that it will fall back to the 2D version, which seems to only lack a couple of things, mostly eye-candy. There's also the option to use 'Ubuntu-Classic', which I'm pretty sure is just the standard Gnome 2 UI of previous releases.

As far as ATI cards go, Natty comes with the new Gallium3D versions of the open-source drivers which, along with the 2.6.38 kernel, appear to provide much greater support. Using previous releases of Ubuntu / Mint I hadn't been able to get hardware acceleration from my old desktop's Radeon 9800 without a lot of mucking around, but Natty picked it right up (using r300g, I think). No extra tinkering required.

[2.6.38 also picked up my ASUS USB wi-fi dongle immediately, which impressed the hell out of me. In Julia I had to use the XP drivers with ndiswrapper.]

Natty's shaping up to be a pretty great release from what I've seen so far [even if I'm not too keen on Unity]. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the Mint team does with it for Katya next month.
bobwombat
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:37 am
Location: Melbourne, AU

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby Hawkeye_52 on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:15 am

Mereyub wrote:
ginjabunny wrote:Mereyub, I think this may help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux, it explains a lot about how Linux came about, originally developed by Linus Torvalds who is still working on the kernel development. Because it is free and open source and governed but the license known as the GPL (GNU General Public License) anyone can take source code and change it to their needs as long as it also conforms to the license, most (not all) of the programs written to run on Linux are also released under the GPL, this is why Linux has become so diverse as everyone can make existing code better or change it for their needs.

Hope this helps :)

BTW I have just been playing with the live USB version of Gnome v3 and am quite impressed, it's quite slick and very different but it seems less flexible than V2 as far as I can see, but this is Gnome's own version, I can't wait to see what the distributions do with it, do they release it unchanged or will it be heavily customised, we shall see, it will be interesting.

GB

Hey There thanks for the link i will study it tonight - I also found a movie about Linux Free Os or something like that wait here's the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000A ... d&v=glance Okay its called Revolution Os - So i will read and watch this tonight

Question 1: Is there a list of Software for Linux Mint that shows its Windows equal - Such as Gimp is to Linux as Photoshop is to Windows?

Mereyub,

About your 'Question 1' above, maybe this link will provide you some good information about Windows alternatives in Linux distributions:

http://linuxappfinder.com/

I am impressed about your appetite for information regarding Linux in general and Linux Mint specifically. Once bitten, you are an addict for life :!: ...

Hawkeye
User avatar
Hawkeye_52
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:06 am
Location: USA

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby xdunlapx on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:24 am

AlbertP wrote:There is a PPA on Launchpad with Gnome 3. You can add it using this terminal command:
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

I added that repo and refreshed synaptic but there is no new gnome listed other than gnome3-session. Is that the full gnome3?

Brittany
Image
xdunlapx
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

The future of Linux Mint

Postby Shibblet on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:05 pm

I know that every edition of Mint that is released is one more step away from not being Ubuntu. Is this newest release of Ubuntu 11.04, that uses Unity as it's default interface, going to push Mint over the threshold? And if that's the case, is Mint going to embrace Gnome 3 as it's default interface?
Holy Cripes on Toast!
Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp
User avatar
Shibblet
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby xdunlapx on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:22 pm

It sounds that way. I went back to Mint recently due to that change. I tried Unity and hated it. So I'm sticking with Mint. I don't like what Ubuntu has done with it's UI (putting the window buttons on the left) and switching to Unity. Yes adding Gnome and fixing the buttoms can be done but I hate having to do that. So here I am in Mint :)
Image
xdunlapx
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 pm
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby proxima_centauri on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 pm

AlbertP wrote:There is a PPA on Launchpad with Gnome 3. You can add it using this terminal command:
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3

xdunlapx wrote:I added that repo and refreshed synaptic but there is no new gnome listed other than gnome3-session. Is that the full gnome3?

This is for Ubuntu 11.04 only. It is not intended for Ubuntu 10.10/Linux Mint 10.

The repository stated for use with Ubuntu 10.10 is
Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-desktop/gnome3-builds
apt update && apt install gnome-desktop3

I would not recommend the upgrade.
User avatar
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11
 
Posts: 3976
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:24 pm
Location: NB, Canada

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby Deach on Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:22 pm

Some of the decision on which build to run may depend on your hardware. I know from testing different "older" hardware (mostly laptops) the Debian edition might be better. While I'm new to LMDE, I've run a different distro for years now and I can tell you it will work and you'll have a full featured desktop where others might fail. Your mileage may vary.
Deach
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:11 pm

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby samriggs on Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:03 pm

I was just a ubuntu user and have been testing out the 11.04 unity (crap) version, just to make a theme in gtk was too frustrating (it is now hard coded so it either goes back to default ambiance boring crap theme gtk or you are allowed very few changes) there are bug reports about it that unity just does not recognized the gtk, I don't know if they will fix it, so far it's not fixed from what I could see, the side bar navigation is a waste of time (more of a shortcut menu then anything) navigation is harder, not easier, the netbook version (i installed on my sisters netbook is crazy, to get to the files and folders (not in the black screen) you have to go through the trash to get to them, anyhow so many changes over bloated useless things are added (can you tell I am not happy with it lol). So please MINT do not change to that version, it's horrible, I just installed mint on this one trying it out and so far so good although I did like the three menus on top in ubuntu in the classic version better. I'm sure I can make that happen in mint.
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth for mint as a dedicated ubuntu user for more than 2 years now, 11.04 is crap.
Ok except the software center I liked but thats about it.
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
SolydK
User avatar
samriggs
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 843
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:09 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby aljoriz on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:10 am

Reviewing softwares in the software center? Am I correct to say that Linux Mint was the first distro to have thought of that and actually applied it?
aljoriz
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:50 pm
Location: Cebu City, Philippines

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby appproximate on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:36 am

hope Linux Mint will use Gnome 3, cuz' unity sucks. :)
User avatar
appproximate
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:28 am
Location: China

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby MestreLion on Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 am

Mereyub wrote:4. Could some one add something to Linux Mint and then would that become a different Distro that's based on Linux Mint - Thats Based on Ubuntu - What makes a Distro a root or a core for other Distros like Liux Mint to be based on :?:


This is a very good question... and if you understand the concepts well, all your previous questions will be automatically answered:

The most important concept about Linux is: there is no such thing as a "root/core" distro. There is no "hierarchy". There is no "official" or "reference" Linux distro, by the way.

Operating Systems like Ubuntu or Mint (or Debian, or Fedora) are built by "gathering" pieces of software together, and configuring them in a way they work like a whole. They pick a kernel (which is the "core" of any OS), the system tools, the boot process, the Desktop Environment, package management system, user applications (media player, web browsers, office suite), like "lego" pieces, making sure they all play along fine with each other.

For Desktop Environment, some distros choose Gnome (like Ubuntu and Mint), some choose KDE, others choose LXDE or XFCE. For boot you can have Grub1, or Grub2, or Lilo, Burg, etc. Same with media players (Rythmbox, Banshee), web browser (Firefox, Chromium, etc). One thing all of these distros share in common is their kernel: they all use the same kernel. And the name of that kernel is Linux. Yes, linux is not an OS. Its "just" a kernel, its the core that all these distros have. Thats why we call all them "Linux Distros". But there is no such thing as a "Linux OS", as the core alone is not an OS... the system tools are provided by the GNU project (from FSF), the graphics system is X11/Xorg, and so on... you must pick several pieces to make it a whole Operating System.

So when people say that "Mint is based on Ubuntu" it basically says that "Mint chose the same major pieces that Ubuntu did, and set them up like Ubuntu did, with some changes in some pieces". You may say that Mint used Ubuntu as a "template". Just like Ubuntu uses Debian. It does NOT mean that Ubuntu is "closer to the root". Remember, there is no root!

A distro differentiates each other not only by their choice (and set up) of software, but also by the user community built around them (people, forums) and infrastructure that gives support to it (think about repositories, launchpad, Mint ideas, Ubuntu Brainstorm, bug-tracking, reporting, patching, and so on). And also good support, documentation, regular (and scheduled, predictable) updates. And, of course, time and maturity and scale of the project itself. All of this (maturity, longevity, stability, clever choice of software, good support, large and active user base) is what makes a distro become a "major distro" (I said major, nor root or core). Being "based on" means similarity, not hierarchy. They are all independent, and any can be used as a "template" for others.

I hope i have helped clarifying some concepts that are not so obvious for newbies (like me) about this whole new (and exciting) world of linux and free software in general.

PS: The purists will certainly flame me for the very loose terminology i used here. "template", "lego pieces", etc. I tried to use normal language speak to explain concepts, not necessarily the correct terms, or any accurate description. Once the analogy is well understood, its easy to get the formal definitions and terms to get an accurate view.
MestreLion
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:14 am

Re: Ubuntu Changes, Will Linux Mint as Well?

Postby xenopeek on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:49 am

avril66 wrote:I am using Ubuntu from past 5 months. Well according to my opinion it’s a great operating system. Recently I had updated Ubuntu and I had begun to face problem. So I don’t have time to solve the problem every time. I have decided to change the Ubuntu with Linux Mint 10. What should I do if I want some application that I had installed on Ubuntu and I wanted to be run on the Linux Mint 10? What should I do if I want to roll back to the Ubuntu from Linux Mint 10?
Thank you,
Avril.

If you want to be able to roll-back to Ubuntu after Linux Mint 10 install, first make a backup of your Ubuntu installation. CloneZilla or Remastersys come to mind for that.

I'm not sure how you can retain applications from Ubuntu after the Linux Mint 10 install. Perhaps it is easiest to re-install the applications.
User avatar
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 14890
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:58 am
Location: The Netherlands

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
PreviousNext

Return to About Mint Editions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest