Clock/weather applet shouldn't but requires admin privilages

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
narnie

Clock/weather applet shouldn't but requires admin privilages

Post by narnie »

I have recently switched from LM 9 to LMDE on this computer. Unlike any Ubuntu based distro I have ever used, to change my location (even if it is the same time zone) I have to give an admin password. On LM 9 and Ubuntu Netbook Edition, all I have to do is click set and it will let me change.

I'm sure this has to do with the way Ubuntu base is set up with user privies. Perhaps it is run with SUID/setuid or SGID/setgid bit set??? Has anyone else noticed this behaviour and gotten a fix?

I am having trouble finding the name of the applet that is running this on the panel, so I haven't experimented on this yet.

Regards,
Narnie
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
narnie

Re: Clock/weather applet shouldn't but requires admin privil

Post by narnie »

OK. I looked at my LM 9 system and compared it with my LMDE system for files with SUID and SGID bits on. I did:

Code: Select all

find / -mount -perm -u=s
and

Code: Select all

find / -mount -perm -g=s
I sorted these lists and did a meld on them. I didn't find anything suspicious. I will attach the tarball of the two systems if anyone wants to take a look.

I think it has to do with gnome policykit as I get an error saying there are not authorization for action org.gnome.clockapplet.mechanism.settimezone.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,
Narnie

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”