Normal vs Debian

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Primefalcon

Normal vs Debian

Post by Primefalcon »

I have decided to switch to mint from Ubuntu

And I have a couple of questions

with the Debian version do I have access to as wide a range of software as was available for Ubuntu and how stable is it in reality, does it actually corrupt under actual use more so than the normal Ubuntu based version?

And is Mint typically stand up to Ubuntu in terms of stability
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Normal vs Debian

Post by wayne128 »

Primefalcon wrote:I have decided to switch to mint from Ubuntu

And I have a couple of questions

with the Debian version do I have access to as wide a range of software as was available for Ubuntu and how stable is it in reality, does it actually corrupt under actual use more so than the normal Ubuntu based version?
With Debian based distros, you access all things from Debian repos.

How stable is Debian?
The Stable repos had been known to be rock solid
The Testing repos changes often and need some knowledge to handle
The Sid, unstable repos changes even faster and more knowledge to handle

Read this thread from zerozero first...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=67502
Primefalcon

Post by Primefalcon »

OK thanks and ok I'll give the standard a spin then, thank you for that info

I guess my only question left is Mint stability and features vs Ubuntu
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Primefalcon wrote:OK thanks and ok I'll give the standard a spin then, thank you for that info

I guess my only question left is Mint stability and features vs Ubuntu

Its been awhile but as I remember both distros were about the same (stability & available software) when I switched, this is no surprise considering Mints Ubuntu base. However we are at the cusp of another release so who knows what will happen. If stability is of major importance the LTS (Long Term Support) release might be worth looking at. Good Luck
numn

Post by numn »

with the Debian version do I have access to as wide a range of software as was available for Ubuntu
To mention is that: Ubuntu derives from Debian and inherits all the Debian packages as well.
Which are currently about more than 30.000 packages.
Mint Standart derives from Ubuntu
Mint Debian Edition directly from Debian

But for the most part you can install Ubuntu packages as well on your Debian system
Though it is not recommended
(Personally I never had any difficulties with compatibility of those two :wink: ).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”