Yes. I know! :) But which edition ?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fizzer

Yes. I know! :) But which edition ?

Post by Fizzer »

WOW!

Well impressed with my first install, the new release worked first time.

But before i start configuration and package install I wanted to know which is the best edition for my needs.

Hardware I want glx/3D support on a GTX460
Monitor is LCD TV through HDMI
Sound is on a SB Audigy2

I am not bothered about shiny bling at all and have no preferance for desktop enviroment.

I will be running XBMC and WINE, so the desktop will be little used.

I do most admin thought ssh and command line.

Just want a relaese that has very good Nvidia support, low resource use and is very stable.

There are so many to choose..

I am confused... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Yes. I know! :) But which edition ?

Post by nunol »

You have to try a few and then choose the one you like.

If stability is important you need to go for a Ubuntu based Mint as the Debian testing based Mint has some upgrade problems once in a while. Mint 11 is the main version, you should start with that version, if it's to slow try the LXDE version.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Suggestion : Mint 9 LTS - Xfce Edition
Fizzer

Post by Fizzer »

richyrich wrote:Suggestion : Mint 9 LTS - Xfce Edition
And that Sir! Was the one I was looking at.

Will give it a whirl :)
Yuhed

Post by Yuhed »

Ppl say that LXDE is faster than LM XFCE , is that true? i am talking about the newest versions...
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Mint XFCE (Debian testing based) and Mint 11 LXDE RC use about the same RAM and are very similar in terms of speed but it will depend on your hardware.

Usually you have to test them both side by side to see the difference. Mint 10 LXDE uses a little less RAM than Mint XFCE and Mint 11 LXDE RC but on recent hardware (Asus Eee 1001P) I notice no difference on a daily utilization. However, on older hardware is easy to find the small performance differences (P4 1800MHz, 256MB RAM).
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Mint 9 LTS - Xfce Edition is NOT Debian based. It is based on Ubuntu Lucid. And has been thoroughly modified and tweaked by member/developer merlwiz79.

It is ROCK SOLID stable !
If I have any need for a newer version of any application, I just add the new ppa to my sources list.

please compare apples to apples !
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I was talking about the newest versions as requested by Yuhed. I should have made a quote of that user post to avoid misunderstandings.

Mint 9 XFCE is a fine distro and will be supported for longer than Mint 10 or 11 but is not what I consider the newest versions of Mint.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Ahh, answering a thread highjacker . . . I am attempting to communicate with the original poster !
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

richyrich wrote:Ahh, answering a thread highjacker . . . I am attempting to communicate with the original poster !
Yes, my bad.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”