The future of Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: The future of Mint

Post by linuxviolin »

Steve Jobs? My God! I don't like him, I hate these products, I will never buy one of them... Let me copy a post by someone other about him. This is also my thought. This is in three different languages: English, French, Romanian but with some web translator you should (almost?) understand everything, I guess :-):
My Tribute to Steve Jobs (1955-2011)

•^ I'm always sorry when someone dies, but otherwise I had little to no esteem for Steve Jobs. I won't miss him. Apple is a huge fraud.

•^ Visionary leader my ass. Mass manipulator and perpetrator of dishonest business practices, that's what he was.

•^ Folks, don't weep that much, it wasn't Joseph Stalin to die, it was only Steve Jobs! (I never owned an Apple product, and never will.)

•^ The difference between the religious fundamentalists and those who are mourning Steve Jobs today? None.

•^ A murit tătuca tehnologiei popoarelor, inventatorul apei calde şi a pâinii prăjite, Iosif Vissarionovici Jobs. Omenirea e răpusă de durere.

•^ Nu mă bucur de moartea unui om, dar mă înnebuneşte imbecilitatea de fanatici religioşi a celor care-l plâng în hohote. Sictir, bă.

•^ "Don't be trapped by dogma—which is living with the results of other people's thinking." Except that you MUST buy iPhone, iPad, MacBookAir.

•^ Steve Jobs est mort et oui, la Terre continue de tourner! (Vidberg) Un peu plus qu'un patron

•^ :D :D :D R.I.P. Steve Jobs

•^ Apple II my ass! W/o the IBM PC, there would be nothing, you hear me? Nothing.

•^ The mouse was *not* invented by Steve Jobs, but by Engelbart, Rider, Opocensky: Mouse (computing)

•^ It took Apple 20 years to put a right button on their mice, and their Magic Mouse still lacks a middle-button. That's visionary, Steve!

•^ Apple's insistence that a mouse should only have 1 button led to the highly unfortunate convention of double-clicking What Should The Middle Mouse Button Mean?

•^ Yes, I'm a h8er when comes to Apple (and also when comes to Google).

•^ USB connector, SDCard? Practically all the tablets are having them, but not the iPad2! That was visionary, Steve! Lots of morons are buying.

•^ After decades of Motorola and PowerPC, all Macs are using Intel CPUs. That was visionary, Steve! People can install Windows 7 on Macs.

•^ Which is the most criticized, anti-ergonomic file manager? You guessed it: Finder. Thank you, Steve Jobs.

•^ Now when people die in Apple factories, we can say they are doing their Jobs.

•^ Wrong. One-button is not innovation, but lack of features. Disintegrated chain not invented by Apple. Les trois i-génies de Steve Jobs

•^ Au-delà de ses produits léchés et fignolés, Steve Jobs aura surtout été le porte-étendard de ceux qui pratiquent obsolescence programmée des technologies pour que vous en consommiez encore plus! http://pierre-fraser.com/2011/10/06/le- ... teve-jobs/

•^ La tactilité n’a pas gagné une popularité justifiée grâce à l’iPod Touch (2007), mais grâce à la console Nintendo DS (2004), fabriquée également par Foxconn. Quant au téléphone portable à écran tactile, avant iPhone (2007), il y avaient : IBM Simon (annoncé en 1992, vendu en 1994), Motorola Accompli 008 (2002), Sony Ericsson P800 (2002). Pour les tablettes, avant l’iPad (2010), on pourrait mentionner HP TouchSmart tx2z (décembre 2008). Si aucun de ces produits n’a pas vraiment décollé, c’est que le budget de publicité d’Apple Inc. est imbattable…

•^ Failed Apple products: Rotten Apples: 10 Apple Products That Failed Also Top 10 Apple products which flopped Plus: everything NeXT.

•^ Faimosul român care-l linge în cur pe Steve Jobs şi după moarte. Steve Jobs didn’t

•^ Discursul de la Stanford a arătat că Steve Jobs era excelent la PR. Un priceput manipulator care văzuse deja moartea cu ochii. Ca om de afaceri însă, a practicat opusul a ceea ce predica: Apple a spălat pe creier masele, a creat o nouă religie şi o nouă monocultură. Cu excepţia OS X, care are rădăcinile în BSD, restul ecosistemului Apple nu te învaţă nimic, spre deosebire de ecosistemele MS-DOS/Windows şi Linux.

•^ No, really, is it anyone out there who actually *loves* iTunes? How about QuickTime?

•^ Sendero luminoso: someone is proud that Apple is the only IT company to have sold smth to his father Jobs has lighted our way Pathetic.

•^ "doing what you love, and never settling until you find it, is a costly signal of your career prospects" Did Steve Jobs give good advice?

•^ Apple's dead pixel policy is no better than anyone's else (may be even worse) HP TouchPad review Also: About LCD display pixel anomalies for Apple products released in 2010 and later

•^ Steve Jobs si lipsa de masura Steve Jobs și lipsa de măsură

•^ Stallman on Steve Jobs: "I’m glad he’s gone. We all deserve the end of Jobs’ malign influence on people’s computing." Richard Stallman on Steve Jobs: “I’m glad he’s gone”

•^ I never liked neither of RMS and Steve Jobs, but RMS went here a little too far. Richard Stallman on Steve Jobs: “I’m glad he’s gone”

•^ Un homme est décédé, paix à son âme et condoléances à ses proches. Steve Jobs, champion de l'enfumage marketing » La mort d'une icone

•^ Unlike Steve Jobs, Edison was “the world’s greatest inventor and the world’s worst businessman.” The Wizard and the Mortal: Two Sides of Genius

•^ Pentru primăvara 2012, Apple Publishing a anunţat „Steve Jobs 3”, cu acelaşi conţinut, dar cu copertă de culoare albă Biografia lui Steve Jobs va avea mai multe versiuni: SJ 1, SJ 2, SJ 3, SJ 4 şi SJ 4S

•^ NO MANUAL NECESSARY? On the contrary, when I see a unique button, and many apps lack a Back btn, I can't use that shit. NO MANUAL NECESSARY

•^ Moses, meet Steve : The Chronicle Herald: Editorial Cartoon (by Bruce MacKinnon)

•^ Touching, but I'll never use any Apple product. Ad-uri facute de agentii in onoarea lui Steve Jobs Ad-uri facute de agentii in onoarea lui Steve Jobs

•^ Îmi pare rău, când creezi Biserica Martorilor lui Apple, trebuie să trăieşti cu consecinţele faptelor tale şi după moarte!

•^ Neeraj Thakur: Comment: Steve Jobs wasn’t great; he wasn’t even close Also in print http://i.imgur.com/hIcgjpg
This is a Twitter posts compilation for the most...
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

OMG, a Jobs... :roll:

I tell you my (but it's not only my but many friends of mine) opinion:

Jobs or Mac crew or Apple, doesn't matter, => is making too expensive equipments...!!!!
Why?
As for desktops or notebooks, you can buy almost 2 pcs of it, based on IBM :shock:
Therefore many not too rich persons had never and will never buy anything from Apple ! :|

And as for 'wannabe' smart phones, also on this fields there is a choice, of Nexus or Samsung, although the price is more similar, there is no so big difference.

Of course, as the real final price even with sw as for desktops and/or notebooks I do count you will run anything but Linux, not win$ :D
Becasue solutions based on win$, it's another price & security story :roll:

IMHO, Dennis Ritchie was a genius ! That is much more sad that such persons have passed... :|

R.I.P. Dennis Ritchie !
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I'm not an Apple fanboy, but this all sounds a bit like bashing things with a blindfold on :wink: Ignoring the fact that Apple is the highest valued company in the world right now, their product prices included both hardware, software and services. Services that neither Microsoft nor Linux are offering, at least not as effortlessly integrated as with Apple. Like iCloud. Where essentially you get free, zero-setup, online backup and instant synchronization between all your devices. Take a photo or video with you iPhone? It's available on your iMac or iPad for editing when you come home. There are more use cases, but I'll leave it at that. Siri is a notable development also. Sure, something similar was hacked together for Android in a few days, but it was Apple that brought this product to the masses.

I'm opposed to any kind of vendor lock-in, and am still baffled as to why such practices continue to be allowed. But I can't deny that the combination of hardware, software and services that Apple is offering, we don't have such effortless integration in Linux. Yes, I'm envious of that sometimes :wink: We can do all the things Apple offers with its products, and more than those, on Linux, but it will require a lot of work and knowledge on the users' end. With Apple products, all that work is done for you, included in the price of the device you buy. Let's not oversimplify that.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

xenopeek wrote:Apple is the highest valued company in the world right now
Now this does not mean the world has a good common sense.
asymmetros

Post by asymmetros »

/dev/urandom wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Apple is the highest valued company in the world right now
Now this does not mean the world has a good common sense.
On the contrary -it proves the opposite :mrgreen:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

xenopeek wrote:Ignoring the fact that Apple is the highest valued company in the world right now, their product prices included both hardware, software and services.
And what? It's a proof of what? Nothing at all. At the contrary. Mass manipulator and perpetrator of dishonest business practices, mass enslavement etc yes.
xenopeek wrote:Like iCloud.
[No]
xenopeek wrote:Siri is a notable development also.
Siri? Crap too...
xenopeek wrote:Yes, I'm envious of that sometimes :wink:
Never, never, never! Envious? I prefer to die rather. :twisted:
Last edited by xenopeek on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited for language
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

Well, Siri might not be "crap", but, seriously... speech recognition was already possible in the mid-90s. Under Windows.
Oh, and Windows: Microsoft had its "SkyDrive" years before the iCloud... and it is not bound to the Mac.

Well... well.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Given the length of unnecessary off-topic conversation, I see the this thread has been discussed to it's limit.

[Thread Locked]

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”