The future of Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
middling

Re: The future of Mint

Post by middling »

Like many others i want to see a Mint version based on Debian Stable.

Since the LMDE iso is already bigger than a CD i'd like to see it expanded a bit. Get rid of the individual variants and have a single iso containing all the desktops with an additional step during installation allowing selection of the desktops you want to install. Based entirely on Debian Stable, with a few Mint-maintained backported packages.

For those that want more bleeding edge software create a parallel variant based on Debian Testing (called Fresh Mint?), or CUT if it takes off, perhaps with the interesting Ubuntu changes ported in.

The Ubuntu-based releases can then be ceased, allowing more developer time dedicated to the Minty improvements.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The new update packs seem to be about the same as the most recent plan for Debian CUT, just done not merely talked about.
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

jeffreyC wrote:The new update packs seem to be about the same as the most recent plan for Debian CUT, just done not merely talked about.
yes but you don't have to change your sources list to get new version of update packs like you do for Debian CUT
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You have to change the sources.list once to use the new system, then the new Debian version of mintupdate (mintupdate-debian in the repository) will handle everything fine.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Tharkis wrote:I had looked at several other OSes including Ubuntu, Fedora, Mandriva, PC Linux even SuSE.. In the end, I just loved Mint.. It's simplicity and comfortability won me over. I certainly do NOT like those new desktops that Fedora and Ubuntu are using now. It looks like an interface I'd use on my phone. Frankly, it works great on a phone but I expect more from my computer. Sure I could always install some other window manager
I understand you about GNOME 3 and Unity but I have already talked in many places about them and it's not the good place here. About Fedora, you don't need "install some other window manager" but just download and install a Fedora Spin. You have one with KDE, another with XFCE, another with LXDE... You can also see Fedora Desktops. Simple and practical. :D
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I've tried Fedora back at Fedora 14 KDE. I would really enjoy using it if they would improve the package management. Fedora has the slowest package manager I've ever used.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

tdockery97 wrote:I've tried Fedora back at Fedora 14 KDE. I would really enjoy using it if they would improve the package management. Fedora has the slowest package manager I've ever used.
Well, Yum is not extremely fast, yes, that's true. But it works perfectly well and is quite simple to use. I guess the GNOME version, so the Main version, of Fedora has a GUI a little faster than the KDE version. But you should/could try Mageia, if not already done. As I have already said, yum is still a gazillion times slower than urpmi (also valid for the GUI tools), despite the fact that they’re both managing RPMs. :wink: :mrgreen:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
t3g

Post by t3g »

middling wrote:Like many others i want to see a Mint version based on Debian Stable.

Since the LMDE iso is already bigger than a CD i'd like to see it expanded a bit. Get rid of the individual variants and have a single iso containing all the desktops with an additional step during installation allowing selection of the desktops you want to install. Based entirely on Debian Stable, with a few Mint-maintained backported packages.

For those that want more bleeding edge software create a parallel variant based on Debian Testing (called Fresh Mint?), or CUT if it takes off, perhaps with the interesting Ubuntu changes ported in.

The Ubuntu-based releases can then be ceased, allowing more developer time dedicated to the Minty improvements.
I'm in the same camp with Gnome, KDE, LXDE, and XFCE on one DVD ISO for Linux Mint Debian. We are already wasting enough room by burning only 800 MB onto a single layer DVD which supports around 4 GB. Plus the team will only have to upload ISOs for 32 and 64 bit onto their mirrors instead of individually per desktop environment. There are some standard Debian ISOs like LXDE+XFCE that include an option to boot/install into either LXDE or XFCE from the main boot screen. Surely the Mint team can adapt one of those or create one to switch from the outset. It just seems like a more efficient way to do it and less files to serve.

The Mint team will probably not offer a stable ISO, but I'm guessing these update packs are the closest thing for them to monitor, tweak, and lock down a near stable configuration. It could actually be more work with them creating for testing and then backporting back into stable.

As for desktop environments, I'm curious to see how the Debian edition will keep up with Gnome 3 and GTK3 with Ubuntu getting a stable version of them out with 11.10. Are there even any stable or near versions of Gnome 3 available outside the experimental repository? I just don't want Debian to be behind Ubuntu and Fedora in implementing it.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

I changed LMDE from testing to 'squeeze'.
And I hope I can continue switching for a long time.
For me LMDE is sort of 'the best of all worlds'.
It is a elegant, fantastic and stable workplace.

And for now I hate Gnome3 and Unity. I hope that it will be nice in future and
give users a lot of creativity in making desktops the way they like.
Elmacus

Post by Elmacus »

I hate that DE or this GUI.
Fun article for the whiners:
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/lin ... ve-arrived
linuxmintt

Post by linuxmintt »

rijnsma wrote:I changed LMDE from testing to 'squeeze'.
And I hope I can continue switching for a long time.
For me LMDE is sort of 'the best of all worlds'.
It is a elegant, fantastic and stable workplace.

And for now I hate Gnome3 and Unity. I hope that it will be nice in future and
give users a lot of creativity in making desktops the way they like.
Food for thought friend: Maybe you should start to warm up to the XFCE desktop to play it safe. :) :wink:
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

linuxmintt wrote:
Food for thought friend: Maybe you should start to warm up to the XFCE desktop to play it safe.
I don't think so. Xfce is using quite some Gnome dependency-software.
I have Mint Xcfe here on a partition. It works right. With some KDE like Akregator, Kalarm etc.

I'm trying wattOSR3 at the moment (Lxde, Openbox, Ubuntu-Debian). Great little distro. I like it and
it is 'safer' if you like. They are working on their R4 release in a short time. 8)
But for the time being LMDE is my day to day distro. It is great. It will ship Gnome-old for some time I think.
linuxmintt

Post by linuxmintt »

rijnsma wrote:linuxmintt wrote:
Food for thought friend: Maybe you should start to warm up to the XFCE desktop to play it safe.
I don't think so. Xfce is using quite some Gnome dependency-software.
I have Mint Xcfe here on a partition. It works right. With some KDE like Akregator, Kalarm etc.

I'm trying wattOSR3 at the moment (Lxde, Openbox, Ubuntu-Debian). Great little distro. I like it and
it is 'safer' if you like. They are working on their R4 release in a short time. 8)
But for the time being LMDE is my day to day distro. It is great. It will ship Gnome-old for some time I think.
If you don't like XFCE that's one thing, but just because it uses some Gnome software will never make XFCE a Gnome 3 / Shell.

What's great about Linux is that there's so much choice.

You mention about "Gnome-old for some time" I think (could be mistaken) Clem mentioned about Gnome 3 coming in Debian so it remains to be seen if he keeps Gnome 2 as an option still. LMDE will eventually be a GRAND success story that'll REALLY be news over the Linux "media". :mrgreen:
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

linuxmintt wrote:
If you don't like XFCE that's one thing, but just because it uses some Gnome software will never make XFCE a Gnome 3 / Shell.
That is not the point. Xfce does not become a Gnome-shell.
Xfce too has a lot of software that runs on Gnome dependencies. And I hope Gnome keeps supporting that... I have read they don't.
What's great about Linux is that there's so much choice.
Yes, that the case! :D
LMDE will eventually be a GRAND success story that'll REALLY be news over the Linux "media".
It is doing great here. And so stable! :wink:
And it looks great, because I can do with my desktop what I like. That is still the case, I mean.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

At least LXDE will most likely be converting their things to GTK3, and Xfce also can't keep GTK2 forever when everyone has ported the software to GTK3.
Matti L

Post by Matti L »

I'd like to try out Linux Mint Debian Stable if Firefox and Chromium were the latest versions. I don't mind using older versions of other programs.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

Matti L wrote:I'd like to try out Linux Mint Debian Stable if Firefox and Chromium were the latest versions. I don't mind using older versions of other programs.
FF is 4 at least, Chrome (.deb) is downloadable outside the repo. xxdebi-xxx does install.
rijnsma

Post by rijnsma »

AlbertP wrote:At least LXDE will most likely be converting their things to GTK3, and Xfce also can't keep GTK2 forever when everyone has ported the software to GTK3.
No, but let us hope that Linux adapts to the new challenges and that it can cope.
Not with something like Unity of Gnome3, when it is not ready and many users (and maybe packers
and developers don't like it yet, please.
In the meantime I keep and eye on lxde/openbox WattOS. After one week and a half I like it and there is
a new version 4 in one week.
thatsallurspaceships

Post by thatsallurspaceships »

rijnsma wrote:
AlbertP wrote:At least LXDE will most likely be converting their things to GTK3, and Xfce also can't keep GTK2 forever when everyone has ported the software to GTK3.
No, but let us hope that Linux adapts to the new challenges and that it can cope.
Not with something like Unity of Gnome3, when it is not ready and many users (and maybe packers
and developers don't like it yet, please.
In the meantime I keep and eye on lxde/openbox WattOS. After one week and a half I like it and there is
a new version 4 in one week.
It is neve wrong to keep changing distro untill you come back to mInt. :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Gnome3 is not ready but there's nothing wrong with GTK3, except the backwards compatibility with GTK2.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”