The future of Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monkeyboy

Re: The future of Mint

Post by monkeyboy »

Not joking at all.

Think about it. Nobody's forcing you to use Linux. If you use Linux, nobody's forcing you to use Ubuntu. If you use Ubuntu, you can install whatever DE or WM you want to use; nobody's forcing you to stick with Unity.

Heck, at this moment, I'm using Fluxbox in Mepis 11, not KDE4. I use Openbox in Lucid, AwesomeWM in Squeeze, Xfce in Fedora 15. If you don't like a particular DE in Linux, you simply don't have to use it. Nobody's holding a gun to your head threatening to pull the trigger if you don't use GNOME3 or Unity, right? (Glances over his shoulder...)

Dollars to doughnuts this won't work either.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I used hibernate on a laptop in the case, a screw came loose and shorted the motherboard.
You know it is going to be a bad day when you open your laptop case and smoke comes out.
Now I shut laptops down when I move them and I do not believe that makes me stupid.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:Not joking at all.
:( Are you sure? Yet, I still hope... :roll:
MALsPa wrote:Think about it. Nobody's forcing you to use Linux. If you use Linux, nobody's forcing you to use Ubuntu. If you use Ubuntu, you can install whatever DE or WM you want to use; nobody's forcing you to stick with Unity.

Heck, at this moment, I'm using Fluxbox in Mepis 11, not KDE4. I use Openbox in Lucid, AwesomeWM in Squeeze, Xfce in Fedora 15. If you don't like a particular DE in Linux, you simply don't have to use it. Nobody's holding a gun to your head threatening to pull the trigger if you don't use GNOME3 or Unity, right? (Glances over his shoulder...) :lol:
I'm quite sorry to say that but this reasoning is silly. In this case, nobody's forcing you to use a computer, nobody "'s holding a gun to your head threatening to pull the trigger" to force you to live etc... No, really, quite silly.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

jeffreyC wrote:I used hibernate on a laptop in the case, a screw came loose and shorted the motherboard.
You know it is going to be a bad day when you open your laptop case and smoke comes out.
Now I shut laptops down when I move them and I do not believe that makes me stupid.
As long as you don't remove the battery to completely remove the risk, I can't call you stupid after what happened. Anyway, I'm still moving around with a laptop powered on. By the way, I've checked all visible screws - except a missing one under the battery they're all fully tightened. And so are the screw under the harddisk and the screw next to the RAM - everything I can access without a crowbar.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

linuxviolin wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Not joking at all.
:( Are you sure? Yet, I still hope... :roll:
MALsPa wrote:Think about it. Nobody's forcing you to use Linux. If you use Linux, nobody's forcing you to use Ubuntu. If you use Ubuntu, you can install whatever DE or WM you want to use; nobody's forcing you to stick with Unity.

Heck, at this moment, I'm using Fluxbox in Mepis 11, not KDE4. I use Openbox in Lucid, AwesomeWM in Squeeze, Xfce in Fedora 15. If you don't like a particular DE in Linux, you simply don't have to use it. Nobody's holding a gun to your head threatening to pull the trigger if you don't use GNOME3 or Unity, right? (Glances over his shoulder...) :lol:
I'm quite sorry to say that but this reasoning is silly. In this case, nobody's forcing you to use a computer, nobody "'s holding a gun to your head threatening to pull the trigger" to force you to live etc... No, really, quite silly.
.....and across the planet the proponents of Aristotilian logic burst into flames. :lol:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

linuxviolin wrote:No, really, quite silly.
Okay, linuxviolin, my comments were "silly." We are all being forced to use Unity and GNOME3, which are the worst creations ever known to mankind (after Twitter and Facebook, of course). Ubuntu and every Ubuntu derivative is "crap." Linux itself is no longer worth using because it has become so awful. Thanks to you, linuxviolin, I have seen the light, and I shall uninstall all of my Linux distros now that I know that I no longer have a choice in what distro, DE, or WM to use.

Oh, and thank you for the insult. It's always good to know when someone of higher intelligence considers your comments and opinions to be "silly." I certainly appreciate being put in my place.

Now, please excuse me while I take my humble (yet "silly") self back to Windows. Nice chatting with ya.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

:shock:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa, I didn't want to "insult" you, never had this idea... I'm sorry if you have felt this in my words. I think you may be taking things a bit too much "at face value" (I'm not sure this is the good translation for the French expression: "au pied de la lettre", but I hope you'll understand anyway). When I say "silly" it's of course not to insult you, it' just a "manner of speaking", maybe a little too familiar and awkward if you want, but that's all.

If you have misunderstood my words or if I have used a wrong language or wrong expressions that made you feel insulted, I'm sorry. Again, it was not my intention... :oops: But since the time I'm on this forum you should have understood my way of expressing the things, sometimes a little rough, that's right, for not to feel you "insulted" by my words... :wink: Do not be so susceptible... :lol:

But that said, I'm still not agree with your reasoning :wink:, but no matter. Let's move on, there are more important things... :D
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
gogogadget

Post by gogogadget »

And...? What is the future now, has Mint Team decided yet?

Is it:
- Debian +Gnome3
- Ubuntu +Gnome3
- Ubuntu +Unity
Robin

Post by Robin »

Well, it must be because I'm so silly that I use Linux! 'Cept I don't mind being silly, since being silly has kept this old hand-me-down 'puter out of the landfill and given it two more years of life (and counting). A smart kid would have bought a new 'puter by now, lol.

Saving money and having fun being silly,
Robin

Two Years on Linux: Lessons Learned - a rant by a silly kid
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

[quote="gogogadget"- Debian +Gnome3
- Ubuntu +Gnome3[/quote]
The Mint team have already said that they will continue to make both Ubuntu-based Mint and Mint Debian. KDE will switch to Debian, but I don't expect Ubuntu-based or Debian-based Gnome to disappear anywhere soon.
dado023

Post by dado023 »

i would like LMDE to become main distro of linuxmint.com , because i like the idea linuxmint.com will take care and stabilize packages for us "end users", that way we will be exposed to reduced risk of system breakage during the update. This way, it would truly be rolling OS, which you would install only once and "forever and ever".

BTW: i prefer Gnome 2.xx + Compiz....mainly because Gnome3 looks like created for tablets, and that i don't find efficient for desktop user

cheers
MRNGSTAR

Post by MRNGSTAR »

Just a thought but I believe Mint could stay with an Ubuntu base for awhile longer but instead of using either gnome3 or unity use enlightenment E-17 as the DE. Although I've never personally used it from all accounts its fast, slick, efficient and already available in the Ubuntu repositories. I know Bohdi Linux has already done this but I love Mint and hence I would prefer a Mint version. What do you think?
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

WOW! What a great thread! Good pro and con discussions, a fight breaks out, a laptop catches fire, and tdockery97 is rendered speechless!

Anyway, to stay on topic, like it or not, the future is coming. A brief walk through Office Depot the other day was an excellent harbinger of things to come. On the shelves where laptops and towers once were, there is now a wide selection of tablets. "Unity" and touchscreen technology is just beginning.

As for me and the future of Mint...I'll make that decision when I have a freshly burnt live disc of the next release running on one of my machines.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I would like to see a SiS 741 graphics card once fully working on Linux Mint. But I don't think that day will ever come. Anyway, an XFX GeForce FX 5200 or second-hand Asus V8460 Ultra graphics card also works fine. I don't really need the SiS (IIRC, it's also not fully working OK on Windows).
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Bob E wrote:Anyway, to stay on topic, like it or not, the future is coming. A brief walk through Office Depot the other day was an excellent harbinger of things to come. On the shelves where laptops and towers once were, there is now a wide selection of tablets. "Unity" and touchscreen technology is just beginning.
Tablets? My God! There are no good tablets currently like there is no good OS for smartphone and like and I'm sorry but for real work I prefer use my desktop with my "big" screen and my keyboard and mouse rather one of these touchscreen cr**. The "future" is not progress, at the contrary...
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

After playing around with about a dozen distros recently I decided to put Mint on my netbooks. It is great to have so many Linux versions to choose from. Some, which I won't name, pretty much suck for new users. Yet there about 5 distros that I Really liked, and Mint came out on top for me. So I am particularly interested in the future of Mint. I'm using Mint 9 and 11 and I'm impressed at how easy it was to install and how well it works out of the box. I also like the choices for improvement between 9 and 11. Banshee was a good choice, and Libre Office was as well. 11 has a bit more polished look overall, but nothing wrong with 9.
I said all that to say this--please keep this distro user friendly even if it means skipping all the purdy eye candy of some newer distros. At the end of the day I just want a reliable OS that works well and keeps things simple and smart. Unity desktop was unusable for me, and gnome 3 was enough to make me cuss. Mint was smart to stay with the earlier gnome IMO, but I don't know how long they can dodge that bullet. I say do whatever keeps it easy and useful, redo gnome, scrap it, whatever, just keep Mint useful enough that I can load it on anyone's computer without them putting a fist through the keyboard because the interface is a maze.
KBD47
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

KBD47 wrote: gnome 3 was enough to make me cuss.

+1
KBD47 wrote:just keep Mint useful enough that I can load it on anyone's computer without them putting a fist through the keyboard because the interface is a maze.
+1

[There really should be an "applause" emocon for times like these.]
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Bob E wrote:
KBD47 wrote: gnome 3 was enough to make me cuss.

+1
KBD47 wrote:just keep Mint useful enough that I can load it on anyone's computer without them putting a fist through the keyboard because the interface is a maze.
+1

[There really should be an "applause" emocon for times like these.]

And I agree to these points also.
Bob E

Post by Bob E »

:lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”