Linux Mint Ultimate Edition for offline work

Talk about your projects for the community
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Linux Mint Ultimate Edition for offline work

Postby Zorba on Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:03 pm

We suggest an ultimate edition of Linux Mint with all Linux MInt desktops, software and themes preinstalled and preconfigured for absolute beginners to work offline. I have a small entreprise for fixing and formatting PCs and I use Linux Mint as default OS and everytime I format a PC I have to download all the software which are actually very popular on the web (like skype; aMSN,FF Multi Converter,Wine, PlayONLinux, Google Chrome, Compiz, Conky, Mozilla Addons, additional themes and wallpapers, Unetbootin, MintStick, splash screens......).

So, please consider this project and I gurantee that it will be a great push for Linux Mint worldwide. U can actually release it last after KDE. And always remember the golden role "DEVELOP OR DIE".
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint Ultimate Edition for offline work

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:21 am

This is not true; you don't have to download these programs every time you do an installation. If that is the common way you install PCs, then please look into CloneZilla, Remastersys, or the instructions for remastering a Linux Mint ISO: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918. Basically, you can with any of these three create a bootable installer ISO of Linux Mint, but including your additional programs. You would only have to set up that image once and then you can repeatedly install it.

Another even easier option is to look in your /var/cache/apt/archives folder, where the downloaded packages are kept that you selected to install. You can copy these packages to another system, and install them there :wink:

Those are some options for not having to download packages repeatedly. If you need help with that, please post in the support section of the forums.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 am

"Another even easier option is to look in your /var/cache/apt/archives folder, where the downloaded packages are kept that you selected to install. You can copy these packages to another system, and install them there"

Curious once you do that is the procedure for installing them?
As would be interested to know for possible future way to do it.
Thanks.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby xenopeek on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:06 am

If just a single package, just double-click it in your file manager and GDebi will pop up and offer to install it. If it is a set of packages, and they also share dependencies (one package depending on another), you can install them from the command line in the folder where you have copied them with:
Code: Select all
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Edit: you can also use Synaptic (Package Manager) for this. See its "File > Add downloaded packages" menu option.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mank_in on Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:13 am

While you can update your LM box offline with synaptic package manager, it's still need internet connection to update APT repository.
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.
mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks for the info. Would probably be a put folder on usb or dvd kind of thing if needed. Tho system snapshot and just copy the whole partition would be the way to go.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Goro Daimon on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am

xenopeek wrote:This is not true; you don't have to download these programs every time you do an installation. If that is the common way you install PCs, then please look into CloneZilla, Remastersys, or the instructions for remastering a Linux Mint ISO: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/918. Basically, you can with any of these three create a bootable installer ISO of Linux Mint, but including your additional programs. You would only have to set up that image once and then you can repeatedly install it.

Another even easier option is to look in your /var/cache/apt/archives folder, where the downloaded packages are kept that you selected to install. You can copy these packages to another system, and install them there :wink:

Those are some options for not having to download packages repeatedly. If you need help with that, please post in the support section of the forums.

I want a level4 iso remaster program.
Goro Daimon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby js3915 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Woah am i reading that right remastersys is no longer being made? that would suck hope someone forks it if thats true!

http://www.remastersys.com/
js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Ideas & Thoughts