Project Idea: A website/mag about Linux Mint

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sufyan

Project Idea: A website/mag about Linux Mint

Post by sufyan »

Hey!
First post here. :D
Ok, so I have been using Linux for many years now...since I was 11. Of course, Mint was not my first distro. I have used numerous distros over the years, and two years back, I tried Linux Mint and haven't looked anywhere else ever since.
I am not an open source puritan, though. I work in web design/dev, and I sometimes have to turn towards non-free tools (sadly). :cry:
That said, for the past month or so, I have had an idea about starting a website or online mag about Linux Mint -- not Linux in general, not open source in general, but entirely Linux Mint. Much like Full Circle.... though of course, the focus will be entirely on Mint.
Unlike Full Circle, I intend not to offer the mag as a PDF or anything, but instead follow the lines of an online magazine site. A good specimen might be OMGubuntu.co.uk or Mobilemag.com or even (dare I say) Macworld.
This can, obviously, not be seen as a replacement for the community sites or tutorials. Just an additional non-official site for those interested. WordPress has got many -- wptavern, wpbeginner, wplift, wphub (add .com to each).
I can write a few articles (I have experience with Linux/dev/design, etc.), even manage the web design or development or management part (most likely will employ WordPress), but obviously, I can't write everything single-handedly. :roll:
I am posting this thread to invite all/any who are interested in being part of this. You can contribute articles (tutorials, short pieces, even opinion pieces), possible logos, or even suggest a name for the site? This is a non-profit, non-commercial venture -- I am willing to invest in hosting and other site management expenses, but I got no dollars to pay you for your articles/time. Sorry!
I am really serious and keen on this website -- I have been using Mint for a few years, and no other distro has come even close to this (not even Ubuntu -- yeah I mean it). I really wish to start a website about it. My initial idea was to just write a one-person blog about all things related to Linux Mint, but then I thought it'd be wiser to get a pulse of the community and see if there are any folks who'd be interested in being a part of this.
Guess I have typed enough. I will be waiting for all replies and feedback. How does this idea sound to you? Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Project Idea: A website/mag about Linux Mint

Post by passerby »

I don't think there are enough Mint-specific events/releases to warrant a dedicated site. Even omgubuntu does articles on Debian and other distros.
Though a "help center" might certainly be warranted. Tutorials, tips and recommendations aimed at Mint, but applicable to other Ubuntu derivatives.
Browsing the question sections of this site, the same questions are asked over and over again. It'd be nice to have somewhere to direct them.
sufyan

Post by sufyan »

passerby wrote:I don't think there are enough Mint-specific events/releases to warrant a dedicated site. Even omgubuntu does articles on Debian and other distros.
Though a "help center" might certainly be warranted. Tutorials, tips and recommendations aimed at Mint, but applicable to other Ubuntu derivatives.
Browsing the question sections of this site, the same questions are asked over and over again. It'd be nice to have somewhere to direct them.
This is what I have in mind so far:
1. News/Updates: a minor category about new releases, etc.
2. Tutorials and Tips
3. Opinion posts, etc.
4. All Possibly related things...like Ubuntu/Debian etc.

This thread hasn't generated much response...so I guess my idea isn't so good after all? :)
passerby

Post by passerby »

sufyan wrote:
passerby wrote:This thread hasn't generated much response...so I guess my idea isn't so good after all? :)
It's been up for less than a day in a section of the forums that receives almost no attention.
IMO, you'd be better off starting the site, writing up some tutorials and such, and then using them to answer questions in other sections as they become relevant.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

The idea seems real cool. 8) One site I often look at is [url=http://www.muktware.com/]Muktware.com[/url] where they also have specific focus on KDE. You can have a look at it for ideas. You can also do interviews from Mint project developers, have tips on different DE's Cinnamon, Mate, etc and sub projects like Nemo, etc. Also, can write-ups on good themes, desklets, applets,etc that are available on http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/.

Wish you success. :D I have limited experience yet so cant help you much on articles.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

As they say "you build it they will come"
The only way to really find out is to just do it and see what happens.
If there's a need for it they will come, if not they won't.
OMG also offer's their own ppa for certain things which adds to their success, so they filled that need.
If you do it though please add a section for mdm themes, not mine specific, but all the other developers/creators that get hidden in the cracks, maybe it will bring more to the plate.
You could also break it up into the different areas mint does, like mdm, cinnamon, nemo etc.
Just some suggestions.
If you have some free space on a host the only thing it'll cost is time and a domain, I used to test new ideas that way when I ran a few sites myself, made sure I got a host with unlimited everything and went to town testing different ideas.
Sam
sufyan

Post by sufyan »

Hey!
Thanks everyone for the reply. :)
Yes, I think I should get it going...the only thing is I couldn't write everything single-handedly, and so I was just seeing if there might be any volunteers.
Mdm themes...yes. Great idea! Thanks.
Please keep the feedback coming. Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Programming & Development”