Dilemma

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
msuggs

Re: Dilemma

Post by msuggs »

So you would be making about $10 a unit all going well. Considering the amount of time you'd invest in getting each system up and running you'd have to wonder whether it was worth it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Personally do you know 20 people who would be interested in using Linux and would you charge or give free tech support to them. Remember 32bit are going out and 64bit is in. I have seen many computers for $300+ without a monitor and laptops are often $500+.
Most people charge about $50 to build a computer and more to install an OS and you are talking about making $10.
Those computers came with a 1400mhz processor even a dual mobo would only give you 2800mhz.
This is a complete waist of time.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My father-in-law bought a semi trailer full of old computers at an auction for $20.00. We sold 3 out of the whole bunch. I spent more time getting them running and re-loaded than it was worth. We made about $80.00 and split the profit, all that work for $40.00? I would never do it again! It is better to save up spare and salvageable parts to put together machines to sell. I just sold an old Dell PIII recently. I got the pc for free, installed some RAM I removed from a junk pc and replaced a bad HD with one I salvaged from another wasted machine. I loaded AntiX on the pc because it was old and slow with anything else and AntiX runs real well on old hardware.

My total cost to get the Dell going was $0.00. I spent maybe 2 hours loading and customizing the OS. I sold the computer for $75.00! Both me and the user were happy with the results

Return to “Programming & Development”