Pen drive Mint

Talk about your projects for the community
Forum rules
No support questions here please

Pen drive Mint

Postby aneesh.nl on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:19 pm

I am an user who live portability.

Then why don't start with pen drive linux mint?

It should have mint and the ability to save all settings..
aneesh.nl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Pen drive Mint

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:57 pm

If your interested in that, check out "USB Creator" in Synaptic Package Manager.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Pen drive Mint

Postby photobug21 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:39 am

I sort of found a way. I installed unetbootin from synaptic and downloaded the Linux Mint 8 iso manually...installed it to the pendrive but didn't stop there. I installed wine, then I went to pendrivelinux.com and downloaded the windows installer with persistence for Linux Mint 8. They've got it for 7 as well, I installed it to the pendrive still in the drive with that same Linux Mint iso and ignored the error that the windows installer gave about it not going to boot up properly or whatever, since unetbootin took care of that. You'll have to hit enter at the beginning to get it to boot into the Linux Mint boot menu options, and then maybe enter again not sure if it counts down to a default boot, and just choose the persistence size you need, mine is an 8GB drive so I chose 4GB the max for fat32. However, I have an idea if you could use some sort of LVM for the casper-rw files you could use more than one to get more than 4GB of space in spite of the fat32 filesystem limitations. Also, for self-healing like the ext4 use some sort of HAL or virtual filesystem so when things goof it thinks it's repairing ext4 or something or simply alter scripts to make it repair fat32 for say when a computer freezes or something since I've had it borked on my system with freezes and had to reinstall. That's just my limited knowledge perhaps there are work arounds but for noob photographers like me that'd be a quick fix and ease of use is your number attractor to get more users and spread use by word of mouth advertising.
photobug21
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Ideas & Thoughts