APT Sources Manager

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
emorrp1

Re: APT Sources Manager

Post by emorrp1 »

foxoman, the Software Sources app is being fixed for Helena. It's really not very difficult to use Synaptic > Settings > Repositories once you know of its existance. It's even easier to use the command line ;-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Another quite easy way is to open as root with a text editor like Gedit the file sources.list and just copy and paste the line(s) about the repo(s)... Simple, it's like open and modify a text you wrote yourself. Everybody can do that, even for a newbie this should not very difficult, I guess... :roll:

I don't think we need a "new" GUI, one more... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

True, just one of the reasons Software Sources is being brought back for helena. Taking the wine page as an example (http://www.winehq.org/download/deb), you add apt keys using the following (adjust to correct url): wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

good find steve, I thought there was an alternative method somewhere, but couldn't remember it. However, the keyserver method you mention only works if the maintainer has put their key on ubuntu's keyserver.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

All this about adding a key is very good but when you add a repo it's not absolutely necessary to add the key for it. e.g. I added the repo for opera and the repo for emesene (at the time) and I have never added the keys! The only difference is without the key Synaptic you give a message to say you the package is not authenticated and it asks you if you want to install it anyway. Not really a big problem... :roll:

And when you pick up the address of the repo on a web site for example, you have also normally/often ((ok not always but... often ;-) ) the key and the procedure to add it.

P.S.= I don't say you have never to add a key, but just it's not absolutely necessary ;-)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

foxoman wrote:For someone like me or you it's very easy to use command line or Repositories Editor from synaptic , but if you ask any newbie it will be very difficult for him to do so .!
I remember in my n00b days - sources.list was the very first configuration file I ever edited by hand. It was a UF post, and I forget what the actual repository was or even why I was installing something from a 3rd party repo. Even though it was presented in the standard manner (e.g., open a terminal and paste the following command, paste these lines into sources.list, update, upgrade, install...) I remember being so nervous about breaking something... It all turned out well in the end, and I found myself a little wiser for the experience.

Just a couple days ago, somebody was asking about installing pidgin. I remember posting up a quick how-to in the previously mentioned manner (sudo nano sources.list, add these lines, update, install..) and somebody came back and gave me a mild chastisement for suggesting somebody edit their sources.list in that manner - that it might not be n00b friendly.

Well, OK, I guess I understand the point made. On the other side of that, my instructions were clear and concise. Given the time and resources, I could train a chimp to edit sources.list with nano.

Sure, noobs should be coddled to a certain extent, but I don't think people should be worrying about writing a GUI app for every damn thing that somebody somewhere might want to modify at some point in time. Then we just become Windows.

I don't care what anyone says, there's no way to avoid a command line forever in Linux. Eventually, you're going to have to open one up and at least paste in commands. People might as well get used to it.

Return to “Programming & Development”