LXDE-X64 over KDE = Working Project !

About programming and getting involved with Linux Mint development
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jay514

LXDE-X64 over KDE = Working Project !

Post by Jay514 »

Here is progress so far, thanks much to Kendall,
LXDE Desktop is installed on Mint 8 KDE-CE X64 & working well, stable. I am now attempting compile for the x32 packages to change to x64.This may take a while.
I used one of my old images for desktop Background.
LXDE-X64onKDE-Deskktop1.jpeg
Will post more when avil.
Jay514 :mrgreen:

Edit Update = LXRANDR & SLIM are the only packages I did not install from the LXDE repos =
My first attempt at compiling failed & I decided to leave it as it was, because=
1) A version of lxrandr is installed by default form the LXDE install package in synaptic - evidently it was X64 ? It is in place & I have no issue there.
2) I see no need to install slim, KDE will let you select the desktop at login screen.
3) Therefore Other than A few tweaks , like adding KMix to the autostart list = the System runs well & I have a X64 of LXDE / KDE Mint.
If anyone else is wants to do the same, just leave a post & I will Attempt to post a thread of the whole process,
Jay514 :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: LXDE-X64 over KDE = Working project

Post by Jay514 »

An update = the system remains stable & you will notice I added the battery Icon" working" & the KMix to the start-up list so that a KMix Icon for manual start is no longer @ the bottom left.
LXDE-X64onKDE-Deskktop2.jpeg
deleted

Post by deleted »

One thing I miss as I try out LXDE (and XFCE) is thunar and pcman not understanding smb:// as a location (protocol).
There's a pcman in alpha off sourceforge that does understand it.... http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=1371#p3618. It would be nice to include it. Esp when I work in a heterogeneous environment of samba and nfs.
-Hinto
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

I'm not familiar with the new alpha package, but I looked at it briefly & it says that Quote ( Seamless remote filesystem access such as sftp and smb (provided by gvfs) ) & I am unsure what gvfs is. Maybe this is something that could be added to an exsisting LXDE & or you could replace this PCman with the new alpha Package you speak of to achieve the results you ask for.

I should have stated this earlier, in the first post =
The object of this project was for me to have a X64 of LXDE based on mint, Why ? I Currently use x64 versions of KDE & like it a lot, I know though it does consume a larger amount of system resources than LXDE. I also like LXDE & couldn't find a X64 distro that was compatible w/ my laptop without a lot of modifications.
So I thought that I would try installing the LXDE packages from synaptic & see how it turned out.
I asked Kendall to give me some tips & he was very helpful.
So basically I ended up with an user selectable X64 of KDE/ LXDE Mint, & that is what I was trying to achieve & it runs stable, fast & works well w/ my system.

I'll probably leave it as it is for a while, as for now I am quite happy with it,
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

hinto wrote:One thing I miss as I try out LXDE (and XFCE) is thunar and pcman not understanding smb:// as a location (protocol).
There's a pcman in alpha off sourceforge that does understand it.... http://forum.lxde.org/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=1371#p3618. It would be nice to include it. Esp when I work in a heterogeneous environment of samba and nfs.
-Hinto
I have the PCManFM 0.9.1 running on my Desktop at the moment. I really like the fact that it has support for Trash as opposed to just permanently deleting everything. There are still a good handful of bugs that need to be sorted through before it's a workable solution (for instance I don't have the "Preferences" working just yet), but it's coming along very nicely. Here's a screenshot with Thunar in the back and PCManFM 0.9.1 up front. I still like Thunar better, but when PCManFM goes to 1.0 it's going to be wicked.

deleted

Post by deleted »

Yep...
I compiled and ran PC Man alpha on my Mint Main 64 to see it work... (Of course it does).
Lots of good things coming out...
I have an older x64 Athlon based PC that would love LXDE ;)
-Hinto
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

pcmanfm_0.9.1-1mint1_i386.deb is in the helena-lxde romeo repository for anyone who wants to play with it. Known bugs:

- opening it with the "show hidden" feature enabled causes a seg fault and crashes it
- selecting "Properties" in the Trash, the Applications, or the Network Drives causes a crash
- The Applications folder doesn't seem to have a reason to exist just yet
- DVD mounting can be a little funky

libfm_0.1.1-1mint1_i386.deb is also in the repo for those who want to build their own spin of pcmanfm. I'll try and get 64 bit versions of these done sometime soon.
Jay514

Re: LXDE-X64 over KDE = Working Project !

Post by Jay514 »

Well that's good news, Kendall .
I have attempted to compile a few of the i386 packages over to x64 so that they could be avail to all in the repos, but I am still learning how to compile & I keep running into errors without success. Although have not given up completely :oops: , it would be nice if someone w/ a bit of experience at compiling would post these in the repos for those whom lack at these skills. :roll:
Thanks for your support & congrats on the RC1 LXDE release, " I see it in the mirrors ",
deleted

Post by deleted »

Yes,
Great job...
-Hinto
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Jay514 wrote:I am still learning how to compile & I keep running into errors without success.
Remember to first use dh_make to properly debianize the package and look for errors in the /debian/rules file before you start seeking elsewhere.

Thanks guys for the LXDE love, and don't forget to help Buy Merlwiz A New Computer.
FrogDemon

Post by FrogDemon »

I was wondering if this is for the Isadora release, if not, anyone interested in doing this on Isadora?
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

I have been running LXDE with Mint KDE for a while Now, Updating packages without issue. I also use Kubuntu & it has been updated , upgraded to ver10 recently. Last week I decided to install Peppermint OS along with Kubuntu & other than a few dependency issues, ( Like not being able to resolve the update channels for Peppermint ) I have ran into no other issues & it preforms as well as LXDE /MintKDE. Keep in Mind that I only have x64Bit Distros installed & the Lack of LXDEx64 availability & x64Peppermint is the Main Reason I chose this route, versus the default install of x32 or a recompiled, respin version.
I beleive the issue that I am having with Peppermint is Peppermint ( bugs in the new OS ) & not related to the KDE/Kubuntu or x64 LXDE Package"from Synaptic", which is how I installed both distros. There is a respin(update ) for Peppermint that claims to resolve a lot of issues, although I have not tested it as of yet.
So to answer your question , will it work, Yes it should. Will there be issues & or problems, Maybe, Maybe Not. That is the risk you must be willing to accept.
I look @ it like this = For me the speed increase & performance increase that you obtain from running the correct architecture kernel for the Hardware, Out-weights any issues that I can more than likely resolve, or that I am willing to deal with. If it completely Borks my System, I will backup what I need & start over.
So the choice is yours, I cannot be responsible for the outcome, if it does not turn out as you wish.
All I can tell you is that it works for me & I am happy with it for the time being.
Have a Good Day.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

The Mint 9 LXDE packages are a good bit more portable than the the Mint 8 LXDE packages. Basically there are a lot fewer conflicts between them and the other Mint packages than there were last time.
Asheguy79

Post by Asheguy79 »

Hi Jay! 8)
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

@Asheguy, Good to see you Here :)

@ Kendall , I agree LXDE is getting better, even PCman FM :P

Return to “Programming & Development”