What logo do you like best?

Forum dedicated to the Mint Art Team
Forum rules
No support questions here please

What logo do you like best?

Jernau's new style logo
64
41%
Original style logo
91
59%
 
Total votes : 155

What logo do you like best?

Postby McLovin on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:34 pm

Ok, as knuckles has pointed out, alot of you, artist, and users alike, seem to like Jernau's new LinuxMint logo, and so, on knuckles' suggestion, I decided to put up a poll, to see what the entire community thought.

What logo do you like best?
The original
Image

Or Jernau's new logo?
Image
User avatar
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby tawan on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:52 pm

or..

Image

Image

which i thought was a nice rework of the current one..
User avatar
tawan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 am

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby Zwopper on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:20 am

I like them both, the original one is more distinct ie. more easy to recognize.
On the other hand, the new one is more lightweight and elegant.
On the third hand(!?) - The new one takes a lot of space to be readable due to the thin letters.
On the left foot(!?!?!?!?) - The varations that has come out of the orignal logo are just that,
variations, no matter how cool they might look - I have done some modifications myself over the years.

Anyway - renewal is a good thing if there are strong reference points to what you are replacing,
and in my opinion there is enough references to the original logo in Jernau's new one that it won't confuse people.

AND it's got references to the logos that predates the current one. :wink:

...and by the way, I voted for the new logo.
Last edited by Zwopper on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby wuying_ren on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 am

I've voted for jernau's one. I like the actual logo, but jernau's logo is very dynamic. But changing the logo will mean that every piece of artwork has to be redesigned. I mean, for example, this forums and the website...jernau's logo makes me think about a black background for the website and forums with pieces of green decoration...well, i'm not an artist but it looks very cool on my mind! :P

An example of redesign is archlinux.org, it looks very slick and elegant now, and it's a very simple design...isn't Linux Mint slick and elegant?
"Try not. Do, or do not, there is no try." - Master Yoda

[Howto] Encrypt your system!
[Howto] Fbcondecor on Mint
User avatar
wuying_ren
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:59 am
Location: Catalunya

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby dberg918 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 am

I would like to see Jernau's logo as the new symbol for Linux Mint. Wuying_ren brings up a good point however...wherever the current logo is being displayed, it needs to be changed. That includes on other sites (i.e., distrowatch), which might make this kind of a hassle.

I don't really mind the current logo, I think it's nice and compact, it represents the distribution clearly with its mint leaf shape and lettering within, but to be honest it looks a little cartoony. I think now that Mint has its foot planted firmly in the arena of popular Linux flavors (not to mention the OS has matured quite quickly), we follow suit and redefine the logo with something that's a little more sophisticated and mature-looking. Just having Jernau's leaf as our logo I think will tell everything about Linux Mint; it's simple, elegant, and needs no further identification.
User avatar
dberg918
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:54 am

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby knuckles on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:51 am

i like the 2Logo's but vote for the one of Jernau.
Why? because it is a new Logo, and a new Logo means fresh air from something new. The Problem is that it is a lot of work to change everything on the themes, websites.......
For the moment we have not Felicia-Final, but the time is perhaps too short, to introduce the new Logo in Mint6.

Why not waiting for Mint7? It will be a new and first release for 2009, with perhaps a lot of new features, underlined with the new Logo/theme! what will push the popularity of the distro.

And the BIG question, what think Clem the maintainer of the distro, from the new LOGO???
Sorry for my BAD English!!
User avatar
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:41 am
Location: Luxembourg

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby msuggs on Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I like Jernau's work but I voted for the original. I see no need to change.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:25 am
Location: non-local

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby beauvin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

omns wrote:I like Jernau's work but I voted for the original. I see no need to change.

i totally agree with you, voted for the original.

I must say very nice work phonic 8)
User avatar
beauvin
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:33 am
Location: Bucureşti, Romania

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby tawan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:54 pm

beauvin wrote:I must say very nice work phonic 8)

they're not mine :) i forgot the guys name who did them. I think it's ray brown.
User avatar
tawan
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:45 am

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby timmyw29 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:14 pm

I'm happy for everything to stay as-is, but love to see themes change semi-regularly. Every few versions or so, you know?
Thus, my vote is for Jernau's.

I do know that there would be a bucket-load of work to change everything around, but 6 months is also a reasonable amount of time in which to make those changes.

So either way, but leaning toward Jernau's.
timmyw29
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:30 am

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby deadguy on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:37 am

Jernau's is very nice but, I voted for the original.
User avatar
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Illinois USA

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:10 am

Rebranding your product for no reason = Dumbest thing ever (regardless whether the new artwork is nice or not)
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby Zwopper on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:09 am

belovedmonster wrote:Rebranding your product for no reason = Dumbest thing ever (regardless whether the new artwork is nice or not)

I disagree!
Look at Ericsson - new logo - success, Apple - new logo - success, Microsoft - new logo - Errrr, bad example :? :wink:
Anyway what I mean is, that every now and then companies tweak their branding to mark the start of something new, hopefully better, well I guess that is a reason then.... :oops:
Image
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
User avatar
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:20 pm
Location: Deep in the Swedish woods

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby Caraibes on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:15 am

Both logos are very good... Hard to choose...
User avatar
Caraibes
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:08 pm
Location: Dominican Republic

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:01 pm

Zwopper wrote:I disagree!
Look at Ericsson - new logo - success, Apple - new logo - success, Microsoft - new logo - Errrr, bad example :? :wink:


Apple have had the same logo since 1976, all that has changed is they lost the colours. The shape of the logo is exactly the same. I'd hardly call that a new logo.

And Ericsson got their new logo presumably when they became 'Sony Ericsson' so that hardly counts.

That said, I'm not disagreeing that companies update their logos, what I said was "Rebranding your product for no reason". Name one reason why Mint needs rebranding? It's not like this is some stuffy corporation that has used the same logo for 25 years and wants to freshen up, nor is it a product that is in the decline or suffering from new competition, fact is Mint is in the ascendancy and is becoming more popular by the week. Rebranding it now makes no sense, even if the logo is deemed "cooler" by an online poll.
User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby McLovin on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:15 pm

I didn't post this to get re-branding for Mint, I simply posted this poll to see what logo ppl liked, that was all.
User avatar
McLovin
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby Jernau on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 am

I figured that maybe I should contribute to this discussion. :)

The current logo is good, and Carlos did a wonderful job creating it. However, clearly I wouldn't have spent my time creating a new logo if I thought that the current one was perfect.

In my opinion, there are two things "wrong" with the current logo. Firstly, the typeface lacks consistency - the thickness of letters differs between 'Linux' and 'Mint' (but not enough that it's obviously one of those 'normal then bold' logos), and the letter 'n' appears three times in the logo using three different fonts. Secondly, I feel that the 'lm leaf' part of the logo isn't abstract enough to lend itself to a wide range of creative uses. For example, in my opinion, it doesn't look very good scaled up and used it as the centre piece for a wallpaper.

The new logo attempts to correct both of these perceived short-comings; it uses one font, and the stylised mint leaf is abstract enough to be used in many situations. Whether or not the new logo is "better" than the original is of course purely down to personal preference.

Does Linux Mint need a new logo? No.
Is the new logo "better" than the old one? Maybe not.
Is Linux Mint 6 a good time to try a new logo if people prefer it? Maybe.
User avatar
Jernau
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 568
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby N1ckR on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:42 am

I like the actual mint leaf, not sure if I prefer the whole design or not, but I do like the mint leaf.

Cheers, Nick
N1ckR
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:02 pm
Location: West Yorkshire, UK.

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby akaNed on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:18 pm

belovedmonster wrote:That said, I'm not disagreeing that companies update their logos, what I said was "Rebranding your product for no reason". Name one reason why Mint needs rebranding? It's not like this is some stuffy corporation that has used the same logo for 25 years and wants to freshen up, nor is it a product that is in the decline or suffering from new competition, fact is Mint is in the ascendancy and is becoming more popular by the week. Rebranding it now makes no sense, even if the logo is deemed "cooler" by an online poll.


Then what better time to rebrand? If Mint does get a new logo, there is no reason it needs to be right now. Mint 7 would be a reasonable release to experiment with a new logo. And I have to agree with Jernau. The old logo is good, but it does have some negatives about it. The leaf is clean, simple, and can become just as well known as the current logo. Yes, Linux Mint is not a big corporation, so why fear a simple logo change? Changing the forums, and website branding is not that big of a deal, and I believe there are more then enough people willing to pitch in if the job is big.

I voted for Jernau's logo. Carlos has done a wonderful job with all of the artwork he has done for this distro. Thank you :wink:
That said, change is good. Refinement is good. Is "Rebranding your product for no reason", the dumbest thing? I think the community has expressed many good reasons to change.

McLovin wrote:I didn't post this to get re-branding for Mint, I simply posted this poll to see what logo ppl liked, that was all.

You can push the boulder down the hill, but it's hard to steer. :wink:
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
User avatar
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Landrum, SC

Re: What logo do you like best?

Postby sarahmarienc on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:58 pm

I'll throw in an opinion here.

While I like the old logo I recognize the points that Jernau made regarding font inconsistency, etc.

I also looked at his example showing the current logo on distrowatch and what the new logo would look like on distrowatch. From my viewpoint the new logo looks much cleaner. The old logo on distrowatch the white letters are nearly washed out into their light green-yellow background and make it look poor. Because of the dark font on the new logo, the lettering shows up clear and consistent :)

I've not been around here a large amount of time but Ive seen some very amazing artwork show up in these forums. I really enjoy the new logo. I think it follows the mint motto "from freedom came elegance" and speaks very well of the distro. I also think that like a previous poster said, the current logo looks a bit cartoonish and the new logo represents the maturity of our distro now.

So that's my two cents for today :)
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
User avatar
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:33 pm
Location: Wilmington, North Carolina, USA

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Next

Return to Mint Art

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest