[SOLVED]Mint 13 Internet Connection Sharing

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED]Mint 13 Internet Connection Sharing

Postby realitykid on Tue May 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Anyone successful in sharing their wireless internet with another device connected to the computer via ethernet in Mint 13???

I'm trying to get my 360 to connect to Xbox Live via my laptop running Mint 13. I've tried everything, including https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Inter ... ionSharing and nothing seems to work. So if anyone else has been successful, let me know how you did it.
Last edited by realitykid on Sat May 26, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... nature.txt
realitykid
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint 13 Internet Connection Sharing

Postby jcris on Thu May 24, 2012 5:09 am

Its actually a problem with Ubuntu 12.04 and I cannot get anything (Ubuntu 12.04, Mint 13, Xubuntu 12.04 ect) to share the damn Internet connection. It all shows that its working but the PC's trying to connect are getting nothing. I was kinda hoping Mint 13 would fix this cause they always seem to fix all of Ubuntus other major crap fests. On a side note though Mint debian version Internet connection sharing is spot on.
Off Like A Prom Dress...
jcris
Level 1
Level 1

Postby oobetimer on Fri May 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Not so complicated - share connection via NetworkManager .. :wink:

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Postby isaach on Fri May 25, 2012 5:41 pm

I just spent the better part of the day getting Internet Connection Sharing via Network Manager to work on Maya. The problem is that my installation didn't have a /etc/resolv.conf. If you're connecting via DHCP, you don't need one, but apparently Network Manager's Internet Connection Sharing does.

So do "sudo pluma /etc/resolv.conf" and (assume you get a blank file) enter in this, replacing the bracketed items of course:

Code: Select all
#Begin /etc/resolv.conf

domain [YourDomain]
nameserver [YourPrimaryNameserver]
nameserver [YourSecondaryNameserver]

#End /etc/resolv.conf

You can get the primary and secondary nameserver IPs by right-clicking on Network Manager and selecting "Connection Information" and making sure you're on the tab for your Internet connected network device.

As soon as I made my resolv.conf and rebooted, the device I was sharing found the Internet with no problem as all.
isaach
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jcris on Sat May 26, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks isaach, gonna give it a try today. Glad someone finally figured it out.

YES! worked like a charm, good study net shared out via router to 3 laptops. Thanks again isaach.
Off Like A Prom Dress...
jcris
Level 1
Level 1

Postby realitykid on Sat May 26, 2012 1:36 pm

oobetimer wrote:Not so complicated - share connection via NetworkManager .. :wink:

It is very complicated if it doesn't work.
isaach wrote:I just spent the better part of the day getting Internet Connection Sharing via Network Manager to work on Maya. The problem is that my installation didn't have a /etc/resolv.conf. If you're connecting via DHCP, you don't need one, but apparently Network Manager's Internet Connection Sharing does.

So do "sudo pluma /etc/resolv.conf" and (assume you get a blank file) enter in this, replacing the bracketed items of course:

Code: Select all
#Begin /etc/resolv.conf

domain [YourDomain]
nameserver [YourPrimaryNameserver]
nameserver [YourSecondaryNameserver]

#End /etc/resolv.conf

You can get the primary and secondary nameserver IPs by right-clicking on Network Manager and selecting "Connection Information" and making sure you're on the tab for your Internet connected network device.

As soon as I made my resolv.conf and rebooted, the device I was sharing found the Internet with no problem as all.

And here is the reason why it doesn't work. Thanks so much everyone!!
Read my full signature, it's too long for this forum:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/113 ... nature.txt
realitykid
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Other networking topics