Problem with the resolvconf package / dhcp

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Comradin

Problem with the resolvconf package / dhcp

Post by Comradin »

Hello,

Im a fresh mint user and stumpled into a problem with the (I guess) resolvconf package.

My dhcp server is configured to push some search-domains. Prior to M13 I had Ubuntu and Fedora running, all with the old resolv.conf style and everything was fine. I could access servers by ping <hostname>. Then the harddisk broke and I was eager to try the latest Mint release. Unfortunatly this release comes with the new resolvconf package and I'am without a search domain and I've not been successful configuring it. :evil:

My system is a fresh installation, no upgrade or migration..

Any suggestions, links or hints for me on how to solve this extremly annoying issue?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frantek

Re: Problem with the resolvconf package / dhcp

Post by frantek »

I can confirm this. Same here.
frantek

Post by frantek »

creating a /etc/resolv.conf manually works this BUG around.
Comradin

Post by Comradin »

frantek wrote:creating a /etc/resolv.conf manually works this BUG around.
Hehe, but will this resolv.conf file be updated by the dhclient process? Im working with a mobile computer at work and from time to time at home with different search domains.

I got some hints to configure this in the /etc/network/interfaces file, but as my network connection is configured by the NetworkManager package, this file is empty except for the loopback device. ;)

regards,
Marcus
Comradin

Post by Comradin »

Ok, I think I solved the problem.

I did an

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
run and activated the option that an link from /etc/resolv.conf to ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf was created. I guess this is some kind of legacy feature for people updating a machine from the old schema to the new one. Booting my box today I've got entries in the linked resolv.conf with my search domains.

I would like to suggest that this option will be activated by default. Someone know where to suggest this?

regards,
Marcus
Minty Tux

Post by Minty Tux »

I think this can probably be changed to <RESOLVED>

I had the world of problems on my shoulders till I found this topic and the proposed solution to run dpkg-reconfigure worked perfectly :D

I too think this should be the default for a fresh install or at least a prompt of some sort should be issued during installation.
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

Post by reptilezone2002 »

Comradin wrote:
Ok, I think I solved the problem.

I did an

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
run and activated the option that an link from /etc/resolv.conf to ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf was created. I guess this is some kind of legacy feature for people updating a machine from the old schema to the new one. Booting my box today I've got entries in the linked resolv.conf with my search domains.

I would like to suggest that this option will be activated by default. Someone know where to suggest this?

regards,
Marcus
yes this worked for me!!!!
satyavacas

Post by satyavacas »

To me this situation pops up while using the fortinet ssl-vpn.

Thanks for te resolution.
orange_roughy

Post by orange_roughy »

thanks for the fix. this is worked for me. i found this thread from http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95246-quot-Couldn-t-resolve-IP-address-for-www-mysqueezebox-com-quot-on-plugins-page

hope it helps someone else.

Return to “Networking”