Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, Always Downloading?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d00med

Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, Always Downloading?

Post by d00med »

My new install of Mint 13 is always downloading something in the background. It's a slow trickle, roughly 5kbps, but it adds up, and my internet speed takes a hit, here with 3G. My netbook has downloaded 191MB of mysterious data today, while it's been on idle. It isn't the update manager, as my machine is up to date, and I don't have it running in the background. Any idea what this traffic might be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, Always Downloading?

Post by caf4926 »

run

Code: Select all

netstat
that should tell you all current traffic
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
d00med

Post by d00med »

Thanks. I'm not capable of narrowing it down with netstat. Can't find what the bandwidth thief is.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Moved here by moderator.

d00med, as a forum member for 2 years with 150+ posts you cannot be considered a newbie any more, so kindly think about where topics correctly fit instead of posting straight into 'Newbie' section.

Relevant forum rule:
[3] Consider Which Forum Section To Post
Posting to specific sections can make it easier for others to provide assistance and for future searches. For example, if you are having a specific software issue, post to "Software and Applications" section instead of "Newbie Questions".
In response to your question, the command

Code: Select all

sudo lsof -i
Can be very helpful in understanding what is going on here.

If you want to investigate further then the second column of its output (PID) can be used to identify processes that are using your connection and these in turn can be stopped by identifying the PID in System Monitor and right clicking on it. You can then see what effect this has on your internet throughput. The chances are that these are processes you want to have running anyway, I did a similar investigation recently and found out it was my calendar application connecting to google calendar that was causing curious usage patterns.

If you find a command running that you do not understand simply put its name into google search.
d00med

Post by d00med »

Sorry. I have really bad social anxiety, and don't like starting new topics very much. I shall go away now.

Return to “Networking”