Remmina: RDP & SSH will not connect any machine on my LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mister_lister

Remmina: RDP & SSH will not connect any machine on my LAN

Post by mister_lister »

I have a home network of 6 computers. 2 linuxmint 13 mate, 1 windows xp, 2 windows vista, and 2 windows 7 machines. A linksys router is routing. All machines are updated to the latest patches. All are on the same segment.

I am not able to remote desktop to any of them with remmina. I have tried using the IP addresses and share paths, with user names and passwords (or without) that are of the main users of the system and still no luck, it always says "unable to connect to RDP server.

I am not even able to "sh" or "ssh" between the two linux machines and they programs are installed.

I can ping any machine in the network.

On both of the linux machines it shows in the "Start Up Applications" that Gnome Desktop Sharing is checked (so it should be enabled) but when I look at the command I find this

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable
Is that right? I don't want to mess with it until I am sure that changing that 'disable' to 'enable' is what I should do.

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mister_lister

Re: Remmina will not RDP any machine on my LAN

Post by mister_lister »

I applied all the changes suggest by the link you posted and still no luck.

Remmina still gives me the same message, "Unable to connect to RDP server 192.168.1.104" (the IP is correct).

I am focusing on the linux machines at the moment.

I installed the gnome plugin for remmina from the software manager thinking that because mate is derived from it might need it. No difference.

Any additional help would be gratefully appreciated.
mister_lister

Re: Remmina RDP & ssh will not connect any machine on my LAN

Post by mister_lister »

OK I think I got ssh to work by installing openssh from the package manager, it now seems to connect to the host computer through remmina (the terminal asks for a password and does not accept any I put in, but it seemsthrough remmina I connect with a password I use).

BUT with remote desktop protocol (RDP) it does NOT connect, says "unable to connect" through remmina.
Jacques

Re: Remmina: RDP & SSH will not connect any machine on my LA

Post by Jacques »

Any news on this problem? I just installed XRDP and SSH on my home Linux Mint-debian box and I can't connect to it from my work using Remmina via the latest Ubuntu LiveCD. I get the same errormessage. Do I need to NAT a port in the router or something? What more do I need to do, to make my home PC receptive to external calls from the Remmina client? I have no firewall running on the client, only the router. What ports do I need to plot into it?

Thx.
sourcefinder

Re: Remmina: RDP & SSH will not connect any machine on my LA

Post by sourcefinder »

The solution is simple: install xrdp in package manager. That will give you the opportunity to connect through Remmina using rdp. Of course you have to do the following things first:
http://apipeandakeyboard.com/2012/05/28 ... t-13-maya/

Let me know if that worked!

Return to “Networking”