Constant download -show which software is using internet?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Constant download -show which software is using internet?

Post by Flemur »

Hi

Our ISP is having some troubles (really slow, which isn't the issue of this post), and at the same time conky and gnome-system-monitor show 30 to 50KiB/sec being downloaded all the time starting after boot, but they don't show which program/daemon/whatever is doing the downloading (both show zero when the cable is unplugged).

"nethogs" is supposed to show the programs, but it shows 0.00 bytes sent and recieved until I start FF or some other valid internet app.

"etherape" shows either zero or very small (100B every once in a while) DL packets to the ISP; neither program shows the 30-50KiB shown in conky and system-monitor.

Q: Is there an app that'll reliably show which program/daemon/whatever is using internet bandwidth?

PS: I don't think it's any kind of malware because an XP machine on the same router is also very slow; haven't checked yet whether it appears to be DLing all the time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
viking777

Re: Constant download -show which software is using internet

Post by viking777 »

Try

Code: Select all

lsof -i
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Constant download -show which software is using internet

Post by Flemur »

code]lsof -i[/code]

Thanks! That showed essentially the same thing as nethogs - no DL until FF (etc) starts.

Since the internet ananlysis apps don't show the 30-50KB continuous downloading, it looks like conky and gnome-system-monitor are showing bogus download values, perhaps because of my current ISP problems, somehow(before the ISP slowdown they both correctly showed about zero when it should've been about zero). But consistency would be nicer than wondering if conky and sytem-monitor are showing nonsense at any given time.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

[SOLVED]Constant download-show which software is using inter

Post by Flemur »

FWIW - the ISP righted itself and now conky and gnome-system-monitor show (about) zero usage when it should be zero.

Still, it's odd that those two apps showed fairly significant DL-ing (when the ISP was flakey), while the other apps don't.

So I'm marking the thread 'solved' although it's sorta-not-really-solved.

Return to “Networking”