Bridging from Linux to Windows 7

Connection sharing, Firewall, Samba..etc
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Bridging from Linux to Windows 7

Postby Corgi on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi, trying to get the wireless from my laptop to work via an ethernet cable to give my desktop internet. I went under the IPv4 settings and hit share to other computers on my laptop, plugged in a cable to both computers, and restarted both. On my desktop I made sure the network bridge was enabled and the wired component was enabled. With this configuration, neither computers are getting internet. Help please?
Corgi
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Bridging from Linux to Windows 7

Postby cwsnyder on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:18 am

What you seem to be attempting to do is to make your laptop into a router to route the wireless Internet signal to your desktop. While it is possible, it is in no way as simple as you seem to assume. This is not a simple bridge within the laptop, and the desktop will have very little to contribute, since it doesn't have a direct connection to the Internet. Unless you are doing this as a learning project, IMO, you would better spend your resources buying a USB wireless dongle or wireless networking card which works with the operating system in your desktop.
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Bridging from Linux to Windows 7

Postby RugbyPete on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:35 am

Hyjacking the thread as I cant post a brand new thread (?)

I currently have a windows bridge in place using windows XP. I have (now) mint on the brdiged pc.
How can I replicate windows bridging if i reload this pc to mint?

Its got one ethernet and one wireless card. The other pc passes through the ethernet to the wireless.

Is there an easy app i could just install?
RugbyPete
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other networking topics