Mint Stops Recognizing Wifi Adapter if I Use Video Chat

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
8brian

Mint Stops Recognizing Wifi Adapter if I Use Video Chat

Post by 8brian »

Hello, and happy holidays to everyone.

I decided to start using Linux a few months ago, and ended up with the opinion that Mint is by far the best of the few distributions I've tried.

After a few months of use, I still really love it. However, I understand now that there are some bugs.

This post is about a complicated problem that I've been having regarding a networking issue, and I'm not quite sure I'm posting in the correct topic area. The problem is what was described in the subject.

For a while, I had no problem using video chat. I was using tinychat.com to use video chat, with no problems. However, for a while before that, I was having the same problem (Mint stops recognizing my wifi adapter) randomly, when I was not using video chat. Sometimes, if I caught the problem early (by realizing that no data was being received any more in my browser), I could click my little wifi icon, and switch "Wireless" from "On" to "Off," and then turn it back on again, and it would work. Or sometimes, that On/Off switch from clicking the wifi icon wasn't there, but I could still go to "Network Settings" from that icon menu, and turn it off and back on from there.

But if I waited too long, then I had no options... and I would go to Network Settings, and the "Wireless" option just wasn't even there. I had to restart my computer.

Gradually, that problem went away, and now it's happening when I use tinychat.com, and "start broadcasting." I also tried to use google voice and video chat, and when I do, or if I get a call on gmail, my internet data transfer immediately dies, and Mint no longer recognizes wireless as an option or anything, and I have to restart.

This issue is quite far away from my "areas of expertise," but I thought I'd post about it, kind of as a bug report.

Again, happy holidays, and Mint is very very awesome, generally. =)

Cheers,

-- Brian

Oh, and if anyone wants me to run any kind of diagnostics or anything, I'd be happy to.

I have two wifi adapters that work with mint, and one that doesn't work. Of the two I've been using one is a Realtek 8187L chepset, and the other is a ZyXEL model: G-202.

I have not tried with an ethernet cable, but I could if anyone wants me to, in the interest of diagnostics. Or I might anyways, soon. Cheers.

I'm using Mint 14 32-bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
8brian

Re: Mint Stops Recognizing Wifi Adapter if I Use Video Chat

Post by 8brian »

Just an update... I installed google voice plugin, and then I logged onto Skype and the sound was severely messed up. But the sound was effected the same when I got a google call... that is, right before my internet stopped working...

So I uninstalled google voice plugin, and now I can video chat on tinychat again. *shrug*

Return to “Networking”