DNS leaks? How to fix them?

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
h0rr1f1c

DNS leaks? How to fix them?

Post by h0rr1f1c »

Hello.

I am connected to a VPN. When I go to www.dnsleaktest.com & test to see if my DNS is leaking, I can see it is.

I went into Menu>Administration>Network>DNS & removed every DNS in there except for 127.0.1.1. Now I added 2 DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4. These are Google's public ones and they are normally the DNS-servers I use.

Now, I click on the lock to lock the settings, and then proceed to close the window. I then restart my computer, open Firefox, go to www.dnsleaktest.com and I still get the same results. I go back into Menu>Administration>Network>DNS and I can see that the DNS servers I once removed, have been added again, and those which I added myself, has been removed.

What is happening???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: DNS leaks? How to fix them?

Post by xenopeek »

First check; have you installed Linux Mint or are you running from DVD / USB Stick / uncompleted mint4win installation? If that is case, any changes you made are not persistent and lost after reboot or shutdown. Second, I have no idea what you are talking about but Linux Mint is using Ubuntu's NetworkManager--which is running its own dnsmasq instance as a local DNS forwarder. Are you aware of that? You may have to work with/around that.
h0rr1f1c

Re: DNS leaks? How to fix them?

Post by h0rr1f1c »

xenopeek wrote:First check; have you installed Linux Mint or are you running from DVD / USB Stick / uncompleted mint4win installation? If that is case, any changes you made are not persistent and lost after reboot or shutdown. Second, I have no idea what you are talking about but Linux Mint is using Ubuntu's NetworkManager--which is running its own dnsmasq instance as a local DNS resolver. Are you aware of that? You may have to work around that.
I have installed it and every changes I make are saved, except for just that DNS change. I am not running Linux Mint from a CD or a USB memory, it is installed on my harddrive.

Now, I am running Linux Mint 14.1 MATE. Even though it might be using "its own dnsmasq instance at a local DNS resolver", it shows my real ISP. I am not into illegal stuff so I don't really care or mind, but I want to know just for further knowledge how to fix them.

Return to “Networking”